Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Recommendations for Dashcam for T-Roc

49K views 63 replies 28 participants last post by  grubber 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Still not got our T-Roc yet, but been stock piling bits for it..

Latest thing on the list is a dashcam, so just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a dashcam which makes a tidy install in a T-Roc.

There are plenty about of all shapes and sizes, but am not sure which would fit nicely and be a nice install in a T-Roc.

Most seem to be 1080p or above, so should all do the job.

So, any recommendations ?

#4 ·
Thanks guy's..

I have been looking at Nextbase, nothing to expensive just the 312GW which would happily do the job.

What I am unsure about is how it would fit as I don't have the car yet.
I have read some posts that there is some kind of sensor on rear of mirror which is not ideal to obscure, and that the top of the windscreen has some kind of painted area to which the suckers don't stick very well !!

What I am after is a really nice install, possibly tucked up behind the mirror, which is tidy and unobtrusive.

Anyone got any pictures of their installs in a T-Roc ?

#5 ·
Like you I don't have my TRoc yet so can't comment on fitting in one. I have however fitted them in my last 3 cars and have to say I'm happy with how they fit.
Out of the box, the supplied wire has a connector for plugging into the ciggie lighter - you can't cut or remove this connector as it adjusts the voltage that goes to the dashcam - what you will need (for the Nextbase) is the additional wire you can purchase for about £10-11 which plugs into the fuse box ( when I wired this in on mine I found one of the fuses that was switched power and used a piggy back connector - a few pence from eBay) to plug it in. The fuse box I generally use is the one down by the steering wheel rather than under the bonnet. After that it's a case for finding the best route for the wire to get it via the A pillar and across the headlining. In general I've found there is a small gap between the headlining and wi screen which, with a bit of gentle persuading and a small spatula you can get the wire behind. Using the spatula upyou can also usually get the wire down the A pillar behind the cover, if it is tight though - and remember there may be an air bag there (not sure on TRoc) you can gently prise off the covers holding the screws to loosen the cover to get it behind.
Positioning of the dashcam - usually I have it just behind and to the left of the interior mirror. The suckers Nextbase use are very good, but on odd occasions I have come back to the dashcam hanging down off the windscreen.
So they can be neatly fitted - just takes time. Halfords can do the above I stall for you also.

The only thing about the Nextbase is that it is a bit "bulky" when affixed on the windscreen. I'm currently considering fitting a Blackvue instead - much more expensive, but a much smaller and neater camera, plus you can "extend" the system to fit a rear view camera and battery backup for when parked.

I did consider the Nextbase camera with twin lenses (that point front and rear) but discounted it after reading reviews. Camera works fine but apparently getting the camera positioned to get a clear rear view can be a bit of a pain.

Hope that helps.

#6 ·
I use this and will buy another with a rear camera if I ever see the Roc, very discreet, easy on off - GPS etc:
Viofo car-dash-cam A119
Have a mounting in both our cars and just change from on to the other as required.

#7 ·
greyroc said:
Thanks guy's..

I have been looking at Nextbase, nothing to expensive just the 312GW which would happily do the job.

What I am unsure about is how it would fit as I don't have the car yet.
I have read some posts that there is some kind of sensor on rear of mirror which is not ideal to obscure, and that the top of the windscreen has some kind of painted area to which the suckers don't stick very well !!

What I am after is a really nice install, possibly tucked up behind the mirror, which is tidy and unobtrusive.

Anyone got any pictures of their installs in a T-Roc ?
I have the nextbase 312gw fitted to my Golf and it works fine, it is a bit big but does have a small screen to watch playback, GPS is a feature which is useful on this model as it gives time and location if there is an accident etc and the camera gives excellent images during the day, at night it is sometimes harder to pick out registration numbers. The battery on the camera does not last very long if you disconnect from the power source and in very hot weather the sucker can come off but on the plus side once it's wired in it's easy to remove the camera unit.
I've been looking at a new dashcam with a rear view attachment and as mentioned by Hawkeye the Blackvue dashcam looks a good option but if price is a consideration I would recommend the nextbase 312GW particularly as a first dashcam.

#8 ·
Hi all, I've got a Viofo A119 fitted to my golf, it very discrete and fits well along side the reverse mirror, you hardly notice it, its a medium range dash cam priced at around £90.00 and is very good, viofo have brought out a due cam A129 which is what I will be getting when I eventually get the ROC. if you look on you tube for Viofo dash cams it shows you how they look work and can be installed, the A129 is priced at around £135.00 on Ebay. Hope this helps.

#9 ·
Hello

I am considering a viofo as well, especially because I do not like the suction pads and the tape would be nice (not sure whether on the rear mirror or on the dash indeed)
For the viofo owners, how did you manage with the charging cable?
Do you charge the cam every now and then or do you keep it on charge?
When charging, I assume you use the 12 volts socket? How do you manage with the cable?

Thanks for any piece of advice!

All the bests

N19

#10 ·
Hi All,

I have the Nexbase duo (front and rear) - it's under a year old so had it in the Golf prior to the t-roc. It sits next to the mirror but causes me no obstruction.

Halfords charge £30 for fitting which is great value as it's fiddly to do and involves pulling panels off.

Pics attached!

Attachments

#11 ·
N19 said:
Hello

I am considering a viofo as well, especially because I do not like the suction pads and the tape would be nice (not sure whether on the rear mirror or on the dash indeed)
For the viofo owners, how did you manage with the charging cable?
Do you charge the cam every now and then or do you keep it on charge?
When charging, I assume you use the 12 volts socket? How do you manage with the cable?

Thanks for any piece of advice!

All the bests

N19
This A119 and A129 do not have batteries. They rely on a capacitor which gives enough power to close the file when you turn off the engine.
You can add a hardwre kit which will give constant power to the unit so you have to turn it off manally.
This unit does not automatically revert to parking modes, you have to do this manally by accessing the menu which can be a bit of a pain.
To use parking modes you have to hardwire the unit.
Good unit for the price and very good clarity day and night. Main advantage is the small presence as it is easily hidden behind the mirror.
I dont bother with parking just set and leave it to its thing only taking to the computer to update the firmware or save any incidents as a record.
I just use the ciggy socket and have routed this behind the glovbox, up the A pillar to the unit really dont its there.

#12 ·
I have a Z-Edge Dual Dash Cam Ultra fitted to my VW CC, it's really good. Two things you need to be aware of when fitting the rear camera:

1. The action of the tailgate.
2. The proximity of the camera to the radio receiver. I lost radio reception intermittentl, even DAB, once the camera was fitted. This improved when I fitted a Ferrite Core ring to the cable although I still lose reception occasionally.

#13 ·
I had a Nexbase 412GW fitted by the dealer (properly wired in). Total cost was £160. Works great.

#16 ·
I am still researching Dashcams..

The pictures above are good as they show some of the detail of the roof console and the rear view mirror on a T-Roc.

I am still unsure as to the best dashcam form factor to discreetly fit a T-Roc, maybe a Nextbase type hanging below a sucker, maybe a wedge type stuck on the black speckled bit, or maybe a Blackvue like tubular type again stuck on speckled bit but looking round the side.

Is anyone able to post a close up picture from the inside of a T-Roc of what is up behind the mirror, to help with the choice of camera type ??

Thanks all.

#17 ·
Hi greyroc, if you go on YouTube put in dashcams, shows different models, positions and how to install, well worth a look. :) :)

#18 ·
Wired my Dashcam in today - pretty easy hiding the wiring in behind the headlining and "A" pillar - took positive switched live feed off fuse F40 (Cigarette lighter, sockets) and the earth off the screw at the bottom LH side of the glove box. Useful that VW also put a plastic thumbscrew in to hold the lining up under the dash, as it made it easy to use to hide the excess wiring.

How have others wired their dashcams in?

Attachments

#19 ·
Excellent pictures, thankyou..

Nice to see the fuse box and earthing point, will save hunting for suitable connections.

You say it is pretty easy hiding the wiring under the head lining and a-Pillar, did this involve removing any panels at all ?

I was hoping that there was a big enough gap to simply push the cable under neatly without removing anything ?

Thanks again.

#20 ·
greyroc said:
Excellent pictures, thankyou..

Nice to see the fuse box and earthing point, will save hunting for suitable connections.

You say it is pretty easy hiding the wiring under the head lining and a-Pillar, did this involve removing any panels at all ?

I was hoping that there was a big enough gap to simply push the cable under neatly without removing anything ?

Thanks again.
No it didn't. The wire pushed back fairly easily under the headlining with finger pressure only. Going down the A pillar, I found that if I started at the bottom, the wire pushed in (finger strength only), until about a third of the way up, I then used an end of a spoon to push it in under the A pillar cover all the way up - went in easily. Brought the wire back across the dash close in against the bottom of the A pillar ( had to use some double sided tape to just keep in place here, as no gaps to use) and then pulled the inner section of the door rubber back, under which was a nice canal the right size for taking the wire down to the footwell compartment. Undid the thumb screw to lower the matting under the dash to get the power wire up to the fuse box (behind the glove box - instructions for getting to it are in the manual) and wired it all up.

Just FYI, the screw I connected the earth to was a T20 Torx. Bit awkward to get to, but possible.

#22 ·
sociac said:
Nextbase HD duo has a rear view camera and is smaller than the one in the pic. Plugs into the cigarette lighter socket
My Nextbase camera as sold as standard plugged into the cigarette lighter socket but I found it a very messy way to put power to it, as it was not easy getting the wire around the windscreen and across and under the dash to get access to the ciggie lighter socket - hence why I bought the wire to the fusebox wiring kit (about £9) which is a much neater way of wiring it in - and leaves the ciggie socket free.

I must admit I'm not totally convinced how good these duo camera's are, first in terms of where you actually have to fit them to get a good view both front and rear, secondly (and because of that) feel they just obscure more of the windscreen than just a forward facing camera.

Separate camera's front and rear are really the only way IMO, which is why before long, I'll be fitting a Blackvue system to mine with backup battery, they really are small and inconspicuous camera's - downside of course is the price.

#23 ·
@ Hawkeye,
Have you considered the previously mentioned on here - Viofo A129 duo. Its a dual camera system with as good as spec as the Blackvue 750S-2ch, and with built in screen, its smaller too and also less than 1/2 the price.
Both its front and rear cameras will record in 1080p full HD at 30fps, and the night time capture is loads better than the blackvue. (google and read the reviews on the Viofo). Its relatively new in this country but popular in the US.

Blackvue have recently launched their new Ultra High Definition 4k camera, the Blackvue 900s-2ch, but then you'd be paying almost £600 for one of those. And even this camera doesn't get good reviews on picture quality. Strange for such an expensive piece if kit.

https://www.viofo.com/

Amazon sell the Viofo range of dash cameras.

#24 ·
I have the nextbase 312GW hardwired in my Golf, it was reasonably price and the gps is a good feature as if there is an incident it records the date/time/place picture quality is good and it locks the file in the case of a bump.
Night quality is ok but number plates don't show up clear because of glare from headlights, but could be because it's quite old now and the sucker attachment sometimes comes loose if the car is in direct sunlight, you can have parking mode on but I found it was a bit hit and miss as it came on when I closed the car door.
That said in my opinion it's a good dash cam which is not too expensive,
When the roc arrives I'll go for a front and rear camera and would like a slightly more discrete camera maybe with a separate back up power supply to record when parked up, but not too sure which model to go for at the moment.

#25 ·
tiger tony said:
@ Hawkeye,
Have you considered the previously mentioned on here - Viofo A129 duo. Its a dual camera system with as good as spec as the Blackvue 750S-2ch, and with built in screen, its smaller too and also less than 1/2 the price.
Both its front and rear cameras will record in 1080p full HD at 30fps, and the night time capture is loads better than the blackvue. (google and read the reviews on the Viofo). Its relatively new in this country but popular in the US.

Blackvue have recently launched their new Ultra High Definition 4k camera, the Blackvue 900s-2ch, but then you'd be paying almost £600 for one of those. And even this camera doesn't get good reviews on picture quality. Strange for such an expensive piece if kit.

https://www.viofo.com/

Amazon sell the Viofo range of dash cameras.
I hadn't - but will now, thank you!

#26 ·
Hi Hawkeye, Just literally yesterday fitted the A129 viofo duel dash cam, it's a great camera got all the features you could want and very discrete, it took me about 2 hour to hard wire using fuses F40, which is the cigarette lighter, and F27, for the permanent live interior lights, and a small torx screw just below all the fuses for the earth, ( just add a small nut to the back of it, ) look on YouTube. For the price you cant go wrong. :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.