Recommendations for Dashcam for T-Roc

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
brid

Re: Recommendations for Dashcam for T-Roc

Post by brid » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:57 pm

N19 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 am
Hello

I am considering a viofo as well, especially because I do not like the suction pads and the tape would be nice (not sure whether on the rear mirror or on the dash indeed)
For the viofo owners, how did you manage with the charging cable?
Do you charge the cam every now and then or do you keep it on charge?
When charging, I assume you use the 12 volts socket? How do you manage with the cable?

Thanks for any piece of advice!

All the bests

N19
This A119 and A129 do not have batteries. They rely on a capacitor which gives enough power to close the file when you turn off the engine.
You can add a hardwre kit which will give constant power to the unit so you have to turn it off manally.
This unit does not automatically revert to parking modes, you have to do this manally by accessing the menu which can be a bit of a pain.
To use parking modes you have to hardwire the unit.
Good unit for the price and very good clarity day and night. Main advantage is the small presence as it is easily hidden behind the mirror.
I dont bother with parking just set and leave it to its thing only taking to the computer to update the firmware or save any incidents as a record.
I just use the ciggy socket and have routed this behind the glovbox, up the A pillar to the unit really dont its there.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Finbo62

Post by Finbo62 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:27 pm

I have a Z-Edge Dual Dash Cam Ultra fitted to my VW CC, it's really good. Two things you need to be aware of when fitting the rear camera:

1. The action of the tailgate.
2. The proximity of the camera to the radio receiver. I lost radio reception intermittentl, even DAB, once the camera was fitted. This improved when I fitted a Ferrite Core ring to the cable although I still lose reception occasionally.
R Line 1.5 TSI 150 PS EVO DSG
Driver Assistance Pack
Electric boot lid
Manual lumbar support in front
Park Assist
'Beats' sound pack

Ordered 09/06/18

Mackemsteve

Post by Mackemsteve » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:25 pm

I had a Nexbase 412GW fitted by the dealer (properly wired in). Total cost was £160. Works great.
1.0 TSi Design
Turmeric Yellow & Black
Front, Rear, Side, Park & High Beam Assist.
LED Headlights, Fog Lights.
Active Info Display, Winter Pack.
Beats Audio.
Ordered 28/03/2018 - Collected 11/06/2018

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:09 pm

I can recommend the Thinkware range, good quality, discreet, good images

minto48

Post by minto48 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:47 pm

I've got Mivue C330 dash cam with safety camera warnings on my Roc.

zcam 166.JPG

zcam 164.JPG

1.5 evo Ravenna blue black roof,sports pack & rear camera.

greyroc

Post by greyroc » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:08 pm

I am still researching Dashcams..

The pictures above are good as they show some of the detail of the roof console and the rear view mirror on a T-Roc.

I am still unsure as to the best dashcam form factor to discreetly fit a T-Roc, maybe a Nextbase type hanging below a sucker, maybe a wedge type stuck on the black speckled bit, or maybe a Blackvue like tubular type again stuck on speckled bit but looking round the side.

Is anyone able to post a close up picture from the inside of a T-Roc of what is up behind the mirror, to help with the choice of camera type ??

Thanks all.
T-Roc SEL 1.5 TSI 150PS EVO 6-speed Manual Indium Grey
Usual SEL kit, Reversing Camera, Electric Tailgate & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 15th Sept 2018 (Delivery estimate Week 51 - December 2018)
Due to delay, Order changed to T-Cross April 2019

TN55

Post by TN55 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:19 am

Hi greyroc, if you go on YouTube put in dashcams, shows different models, positions and how to install, well worth a look. :) :)
T-Roc R Line, 1.5 DSG, Pure White with black roof, Electric tail gate, Reversing Camera, High beam assist and lumbar surport, Ordered on the 2nd August 2018

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:07 pm

Wired my Dashcam in today - pretty easy hiding the wiring in behind the headlining and "A" pillar - took positive switched live feed off fuse F40 (Cigarette lighter, sockets) and the earth off the screw at the bottom LH side of the glove box. Useful that VW also put a plastic thumbscrew in to hold the lining up under the dash, as it made it easy to use to hide the excess wiring.

How have others wired their dashcams in?

IMG_0771-1.jpg

IMG_0770-1.jpg

IMG_0772-1.jpg

R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

greyroc

Post by greyroc » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:55 am

Excellent pictures, thankyou..

Nice to see the fuse box and earthing point, will save hunting for suitable connections.

You say it is pretty easy hiding the wiring under the head lining and a-Pillar, did this involve removing any panels at all ?

I was hoping that there was a big enough gap to simply push the cable under neatly without removing anything ?

Thanks again.
T-Roc SEL 1.5 TSI 150PS EVO 6-speed Manual Indium Grey
Usual SEL kit, Reversing Camera, Electric Tailgate & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 15th Sept 2018 (Delivery estimate Week 51 - December 2018)
Due to delay, Order changed to T-Cross April 2019

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:51 am

greyroc wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:55 am
Excellent pictures, thankyou..

Nice to see the fuse box and earthing point, will save hunting for suitable connections.

You say it is pretty easy hiding the wiring under the head lining and a-Pillar, did this involve removing any panels at all ?

I was hoping that there was a big enough gap to simply push the cable under neatly without removing anything ?

Thanks again.
No it didn’t. The wire pushed back fairly easily under the headlining with finger pressure only. Going down the A pillar, I found that if I started at the bottom, the wire pushed in (finger strength only), until about a third of the way up, I then used an end of a spoon to push it in under the A pillar cover all the way up - went in easily. Brought the wire back across the dash close in against the bottom of the A pillar ( had to use some double sided tape to just keep in place here, as no gaps to use) and then pulled the inner section of the door rubber back, under which was a nice canal the right size for taking the wire down to the footwell compartment. Undid the thumb screw to lower the matting under the dash to get the power wire up to the fuse box (behind the glove box - instructions for getting to it are in the manual) and wired it all up.

Just FYI, the screw I connected the earth to was a T20 Torx. Bit awkward to get to, but possible.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19