Recommendations for Dashcam for T-Roc

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
sociac

Re: Recommendations for Dashcam for T-Roc

Post by sociac » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:25 pm

Nextbase HD duo has a rear view camera and is smaller than the one in the pic. Plugs into the cigarette lighter socket

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:37 pm

sociac wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:25 pm
Nextbase HD duo has a rear view camera and is smaller than the one in the pic. Plugs into the cigarette lighter socket
My Nextbase camera as sold as standard plugged into the cigarette lighter socket but I found it a very messy way to put power to it, as it was not easy getting the wire around the windscreen and across and under the dash to get access to the ciggie lighter socket - hence why I bought the wire to the fusebox wiring kit (about £9) which is a much neater way of wiring it in - and leaves the ciggie socket free.

I must admit I'm not totally convinced how good these duo camera's are, first in terms of where you actually have to fit them to get a good view both front and rear, secondly (and because of that) feel they just obscure more of the windscreen than just a forward facing camera.

Separate camera's front and rear are really the only way IMO, which is why before long, I'll be fitting a Blackvue system to mine with backup battery, they really are small and inconspicuous camera's - downside of course is the price.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:55 am

@ Hawkeye,
Have you considered the previously mentioned on here - Viofo A129 duo. Its a dual camera system with as good as spec as the Blackvue 750S-2ch, and with built in screen, its smaller too and also less than 1/2 the price.
Both its front and rear cameras will record in 1080p full HD at 30fps, and the night time capture is loads better than the blackvue. (google and read the reviews on the Viofo). Its relatively new in this country but popular in the US.

Blackvue have recently launched their new Ultra High Definition 4k camera, the Blackvue 900s-2ch, but then you'd be paying almost £600 for one of those. And even this camera doesn't get good reviews on picture quality. Strange for such an expensive piece if kit.

https://www.viofo.com/

Amazon sell the Viofo range of dash cameras.
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collect - 29 Apr 19

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:10 am

I have the nextbase 312GW hardwired in my Golf, it was reasonably price and the gps is a good feature as if there is an incident it records the date/time/place picture quality is good and it locks the file in the case of a bump.
Night quality is ok but number plates don’t show up clear because of glare from headlights, but could be because it’s quite old now and the sucker attachment sometimes comes loose if the car is in direct sunlight, you can have parking mode on but I found it was a bit hit and miss as it came on when I closed the car door.
That said in my opinion it’s a good dash cam which is not too expensive,
When the roc arrives I’ll go for a front and rear camera and would like a slightly more discrete camera maybe with a separate back up power supply to record when parked up, but not too sure which model to go for at the moment.
Ordered 11/03/19 R line 1.5tsi DSG Indium Grey

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:33 pm

tiger tony wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:55 am
@ Hawkeye,
Have you considered the previously mentioned on here - Viofo A129 duo. Its a dual camera system with as good as spec as the Blackvue 750S-2ch, and with built in screen, its smaller too and also less than 1/2 the price.
Both its front and rear cameras will record in 1080p full HD at 30fps, and the night time capture is loads better than the blackvue. (google and read the reviews on the Viofo). Its relatively new in this country but popular in the US.

Blackvue have recently launched their new Ultra High Definition 4k camera, the Blackvue 900s-2ch, but then you'd be paying almost £600 for one of those. And even this camera doesn't get good reviews on picture quality. Strange for such an expensive piece if kit.

https://www.viofo.com/

Amazon sell the Viofo range of dash cameras.
I hadn't - but will now, thank you!
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

TN55

Post by TN55 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:39 am

Hi Hawkeye, Just literally yesterday fitted the A129 viofo duel dash cam, it's a great camera got all the features you could want and very discrete, it took me about 2 hour to hard wire using fuses F40, which is the cigarette lighter, and F27, for the permanent live interior lights, and a small torx screw just below all the fuses for the earth, ( just add a small nut to the back of it, ) look on YouTube. For the price you cant go wrong. :D :D
T-Roc R Line, 1.5 DSG, Pure White with black roof, Electric tail gate, Reversing Camera, High beam assist and lumbar surport, Ordered on the 2nd August 2018

Rosco

Post by Rosco » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:45 am

I have the next base 312 and is is great and not in anyway obtrusive or expensive and has a great daytime picture. At night not quite so great but would nevertheless recommend.
When I got my car it was suggested that an aftermarket dash cam hard wired may if there was an electrical fault, not covered by warranty.
I have therefore still got mine connected to the cigarette lighter which works perfect but not ideal.
Has anyone heard of this type of problem being the case.
Regards
Rosco

brid

Post by brid » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:41 am

TN55 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:39 am
Hi Hawkeye, Just literally yesterday fitted the A129 viofo duel dash cam, it's a great camera got all the features you could want and very discrete, it took me about 2 hour to hard wire using fuses F40, which is the cigarette lighter, and F27, for the permanent live interior lights, and a small torx screw just below all the fuses for the earth, ( just add a small nut to the back of it, ) look on YouTube. For the price you cant go wrong. :D :D
If possible could you attach a photo of the rear camera position you have chosen.
I am sure this would be helpful to both myself and others.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

TN55

Post by TN55 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:17 pm

Hi brid, find attached a couple of photos of rear mounted camera, sorry not the best quality, but gives some idea of position.

20190422_160615.jpg

Rear camera mounted

20190422_160650.jpg

T-Roc R Line, 1.5 DSG, Pure White with black roof, Electric tail gate, Reversing Camera, High beam assist and lumbar surport, Ordered on the 2nd August 2018

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:11 pm

TN55 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:17 pm
Hi brid, find attached a couple of photos of rear mounted camera, sorry not the best quality, but gives some idea of position.
Hi TN55.

How did you run the rear cam cable from the opening and closing tailgate area through to the vehicle ?

I know its a chunky cable as I've already got a Viofo A129 duo ready to fit into my T-roc when it arrives next week.

I've been testing it out in my current vehicle (ford) and I'm well impressed with it. Excellent video capture in day and night conditions on both cameras.
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collect - 29 Apr 19