Recommendations for Dashcam for T-Roc

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
TN55

Re: Recommendations for Dashcam for T-Roc

Post by TN55 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi Tiger Tony, Firstly run the rear cam cable from the front camera. Follow the power cable down the front door post, prise the inner plastic door sill covers open and run along both doors, up the rear door post along the rear head lining. Next run through the left rubber gator, this is a bit tight and fiddly, but doable. On the tailgate remove the top plastic cover and run to centre of window. Job done, when you first look to do this job it does look a bit daunting but as you start and get more confident it gets pretty straight forward, best of luck
T-Roc R Line, 1.5 DSG, Pure White with black roof, Electric tail gate, Reversing Camera, High beam assist and lumbar surport, Ordered on the 2nd August 2018

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:52 pm

TN55 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:17 pm
Hi Tiger Tony, Firstly run the rear cam cable from the front camera. Follow the power cable down the front door post, prise the inner plastic door sill covers open and run along both doors, up the rear door post along the rear head lining. Next run through the left rubber gator, this is a bit tight and fiddly, but doable. On the tailgate remove the top plastic cover and run to centre of window. Job done, when you first look to do this job it does look a bit daunting but as you start and get more confident it gets pretty straight forward, best of luck
Thanks TN55,

I've managed to fit rear dash cameras and reversing cameras before in other vehicles using the existing rubber gators on the tailgate to run the connecting cable, some were right sods to do though especially with a large moulded plug on the cable end !

Wasn't sure how accessible the T-roc ones will be, but sounds like its not too bad. You've done a professional job there, well done mate.

When I finally get mine installed I'll try and take some installation pictures of the cable runs etc.
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collect - 29 Apr 19

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:55 pm

Won't be fitting a dash cam myself but came across this video for installing a front camera, for anyone who's not sure👌

https://youtu.be/CRMjBJAOpkY
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

avamissile

Post by avamissile » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:21 am

So now that I’ve got my new T-Roc, I’m looking to get my first ever dash cam. I want one that’s discreet with minimal wires (I hate all of the long wires that come with most dash cams). I’ve looked online but reviews don’t seem to mention much about wires - does anybody have any recommendations?
1.0L Design.
White-Silver with black roof.
Active Info Display.
LED Headlights.
Silver Anodised Roof Rails.
Ordered 12th January 2019.
Build Week 24 confirmed!
In Transit 12/06/2019
Arrived in UK 23/06/2019
Collected 27/06/2019

hikeimperial

Post by hikeimperial » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:47 am

avamissile wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:21 am
So now that I’ve got my new T-Roc, I’m looking to get my first ever dash cam. I want one that’s discreet with minimal wires (I hate all of the long wires that come with most dash cams). I’ve looked online but reviews don’t seem to mention much about wires - does anybody have any recommendations?
Dashcam's need power to work. So you have to wire them in, they come with a cig lighter power charger, but that means you have the wires trailing from your windscreen down to your cig lighter socket.

To get round this obscenity, you hardwire your camera in using kit like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Camer ... way&sr=8-4.

What this does is piggy back into your fusebox and powers it that way. You can then tuck the wires into your trim so you have no wires visible. Another added benefit of this is you can piggyback off an ignition live fuse, so the dashcam only turns on when you turn the car on and doesn't drain the battery.

It's quite daunting wiring this in yourself, especially on a new car. You have to pull trim out and go into the fusebox and find a ground source (any chassis connected metal). I've done about 5 cars myself now and I still sweat bullets getting my Troc hardwired.

Some tips for people interested.

There are plenty of extremely decent dashcams for £25-50 on amazon. You don't really need to go for nextbase or garmin >£150 versions. Just get a decent memory card and you'll be fine.

Finding a ground point in the TRoc was a nightmare, you typically find a bolt connected to the chassis and loosen it and stick the ground through that. I could not loosen any of the nuts I found, so I just got my own nut and bolt and stuck it through one of the wholes in the metal frame near the fusebox. Works nicely and I'm not messing with any dashboard bolt connections.

Suction caps for holding the dashcams onto your windscreen, use a tiny bit of vegetable oil, not water to get it to stick. Water heats in the sun and vaporises and you loose the vacuum that holds it on. The oil doesn't and lasts much longer.

mvk

Post by mvk » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:04 am

Don't buy one of those cheap dash cams as I did they are hopeless at night. I threw mine away and bought a Nextbase 312GW. I could see the difference straight away. All that did for me was to waste £25.00 before I really got what I should have bought the first time around.
1.0 TSI SE Special solid - Pure white

T-Rog

Post by T-Rog » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:57 pm

avamissile wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:21 am
Hi
Within the last 2 weeks I have installed a Nextbase 522GW Dash Cam/ NBDVRS2RWC Rear Window Camera / Dash Cam hardwire kit - this is all series 2 kit - check it out at Halfords - it is a much improved design over series 1 - the suction / adhesive method of fixing the dash cam is a very clever design - the rear camera is very small with minimal cable visible (fixed by Halfords).
I had been looking out for a suitable dash cam for some time and when I cam across the new series 2 range by Nextbase when visiting Halfords recently I made my decision there and then.
At present I have not finalized the front camera position yet - trying to avoid it being knocked by the sun visor - not a problem.
Just in case you were wondering I do not work for Halfords or Nextbase :lol:
Volkswagen 2018 T-ROC DESIGN 1.5 TSI EVO Petrol
6-Speed Manual Gearbox - Front Wheel Drive
17" Mayfield Alloys
2-Tone Horns
Deep Black with Pure White Roof / Mirrors
VW DATA-PLUG fitted since mid July - VW Connect

JAMCT

Post by JAMCT » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:29 pm

I have a Nextbase 412GW which I am very happy with and is highly recommended by some Tech mags. See my pic of its location which does not distract me at all. The video quality is very good as you can judge for yourself on my YouTube video attached . There are a couple of other videos on my 'CHANNEL' including a night time one of an encounter with the new VW T-Cross :P

P1030131.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9HHmCToug0

Cable goes up and behind the roof panel.
Last edited by JAMCT on Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T-Roc 1.5 TSI Design, (KANGAROO FREE)
Ravenna Blue, Black Roof/Door Mirrors, Silver Roof rails
Ravenna Blue dashpads
LED H'lights/Irregular Hexagon :ugeek: Running Lights
RearView Camera
Park Assist
Electric Tailgate
17" Mayfield Black Alloys

brid

Post by brid » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:17 pm

N19 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 am
Hello

I am considering a viofo as well, especially because I do not like the suction pads and the tape would be nice (not sure whether on the rear mirror or on the dash indeed)
For the viofo owners, how did you manage with the charging cable?
Do you charge the cam every now and then or do you keep it on charge?
When charging, I assume you use the 12 volts socket? How do you manage with the cable?

Thanks for any piece of advice!

All the bests

N19
Fitted an A119 today, took about 30mins in total. Very easy install taking power from the rear 12V socket as l do not want the hard wire system for the parking etc.
Along the headliner to the A pillar joint with header.
Tuck cable inside the joint, ease the A pillar cover with a plastic tool from behind door seal, tuck cable inside the trim, continue down to bottom of glovebox and feed through to footwell.
Feed cable behind the carpet in the footwell from the door to the centre and start to feed towards the rear behind the plastic trim that runs along what used to be for the prop shaft and is used now for the exhaust and body stiffening.
Start work again at the socket in the rear. Tuck cable under the plastic trim and continue towards the footwell. Any spare cable can be hidden behind the trim. :D
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:21 am

When fitting my VIOFO A129 dual camera system I tucked the supply cable from the windscreen mounted camera along the headlining towards the left hand A pillar trim. I removed this pillar trim to feed the cable neatly down towards the dashboard area, although you could simply tuck cable behind the trim without removing it. It does have an airbag behind it so be careful.
If you then pop out the panel which supports the airbag isolation switch on the left side of the dashboard you can then pull the cable all the way down and then onto the fuse box area behind the glovebox.
I used a piggy back fuse (3A) system like this to get 12v supply from the fusebox. I plugged it into position F46 which is empty but becomes live with ignition on :-

I also used this 12v to 5v USB converter with USB sockets from Ebay for around £6.

I simply plug in the camera cable which has a USB plug on it into this convertor. Its tucked away neatly in the area behind the panel with the airbag switch. The ground point is provide by a M8 chassis mounted bolt which supports the dashboard also behind the airbag switch area.
All in all a virtually completely hidden setup.

Front Camera :-

Rear camera :-

T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collect - 29 Apr 19