Traker

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Rosco

Traker

Post by Rosco » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Can any one advise if it worth getting a tracker fitted and if so does anyone have a preference. Who fitted and how much. Any help appreciated. I have the 1.5 DSG. Only problem so far is a bit jumpy when cold. However only done 900 mls so hoping it will settle.
Regards
Rosco

Impala

Re: Traker

Post by Impala » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:54 pm

Does the VW Car-Net not provide the GPS location ?

This is what the brochure says;

'Car-Net ‘Security & Service’ acts as your personal assistant supporting you in
every driving situation and providing you with all the key information you need
regarding your mobility. An integrated SIM-card provides continuous connectivity
and interaction between the driver, vehicle and Volkswagen’s call centre or server.
In the event of an accident, should the driver activate the ‘eCall’ button or the
airbags are deployed triggering the ‘eCall’ service, Volkswagen’s Emergency Centre
will be contacted directly. Key information such as the condition and location of the
vehicle will be sent to emergency response units. In the event of minor incidents,
the ‘Automatic accident notification’ can send location and vehicle details to the
Volkswagen Emergency Centre should the driver wish. Additional data is also
shared including details of ‘Car breakdown’, ‘Vehicle health report’ and ‘Service
schedule’ ensuring your vehicle’s information is always up to date – 10-year
subscription included.
The service also allows vehicle information to be accessed via the Car-Net Portal or
Car-Net app, via a laptop or smartphone, from the comfort of your home or even the
office. Information such as ‘Driving data’, the status of ‘Doors and lights’, ‘Area alert’,
‘Speed alert’, remote control of ‘Horn and hazard lights’, ‘Parking position’ and
‘Online anti-theft alarm’ can be easily accessed and monitored
– 3-year subscription
included. Standard on SEL and R-Line and optional on all other models.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

avamissile

Post by avamissile » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:34 pm

Am I right in saying that the car-net with all these features is only available if you purchased the Sat-Nav?
1.0L Design.
White-Silver with black roof.
Active Info Display.
LED Headlights.
Silver Anodised Roof Rails.
Ordered 12th January 2019.
Build Week 24 confirmed!
In Transit 12/06/2019
Arrived in UK 23/06/2019
Collected 27/06/2019

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:53 pm

Rosco wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:04 pm
Can any one advise if it worth getting a tracker fitted and if so does anyone have a preference. Who fitted and how much. Any help appreciated. I have the 1.5 DSG. Only problem so far is a bit jumpy when cold. However only done 900 mls so hoping it will settle.
Regards
Rosco
Whilst Trackers are a good thing to have, they are quite expensive both to have fitted and to maintain the support each year. I've had Tracker itself on a couple of cars of mine, but only because it was an insurance requirement rather than I wanted to have it. The problem is that whilst the tracker systems all work ok, unless the police (a) have the necessary equipment to pick up the tracker signals and (b) have the manpower available to search for cars with trackers fitted then in all honesty in my opinion they are a waste of money, as if something does happen to your car they won't find it as they can't!

Far more effective IMO is purchasing something like a disklok (cost about £120) which clamp around the steering wheel making the car undriveable. It won't stop it being stolen if a thief is determined (nor will a tracker or any other device) but it might well make them look at the next car rather than try to get the disklok off (DIsklok's are Thatcham approved as well). Search "DISKLOK" on eBay (you'll need to work out which size you need for your steering wheel is all)

Here's a review of these by HonestJohn

https://kit.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/re ... ring-lock/
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:15 pm

There is lots of info on Car-Net on VW's web pages ... start here .. https://www.volkswagen-carnet.com

Specifically, I found this under requirements ;

To be able to use Guide & Inform Car-Net services, your Volkswagen must have a navigation system. This includes “Discover Media” and “Discover Pro”, as well as “Innovision Cockpit”, available for the Touareg.

However, for Car-Net’s “Security & Service” service package, you only need the Emergency Call Service, which, like “App-Connect”, you can use without restriction with the “Composition Media” radio.

In the T-Roc price list, Car-Net 'App-Connect' is standard on (UK) SE and above (optional on S), while Car-Net 'Security & Service' is standard on (UK) SEL and R-Line (optional on all others). The 'Security & Service' description states 'Includes online navigation software updates, enabling you to download the latest map data.' but as the web page says you only need the 'Composition Media' radio, that implies you just don't make use of the included navigation updates and maps.

I doubt this would be as good as a proper tracker, if it can be used for that at all, but it has many other uses. Unfortunately the web site link above is generic and there seems to be a lot of features which work on some cars but not others, or which require additional options which may not be available on all cars either. If you have ordered a car where this is standard then you can find out what it can and can't do in practice, but for anyone thinking of adding it as an option I would suggest they discuss fully with their dealer first.
Ordered 22/06/18

buddy123

Post by buddy123 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:22 pm

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:25 pm

Hawkeye,

The HJ review says it may not be suitable for cars with paddle shifters.

Do you know if it would fit VW cars with paddle shift as fitted to most (all ?) VW DSGs ?

Also, can it be fitted to steering wheels with flat bottoms such as the sports steering wheels on SEL and R-Line T-Rocs ?
Ordered 22/06/18

CJD

Post by CJD » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:17 pm

I have the 1.5 sel T-roc & use the tracker that comes as part of the car net app. It is very very accurate & can also be used to input geo fencing via your smartphone app. If the car drives outside of a boundary I set then it automatically sends a message to my phone telling me the car has left the area. I can then log onto the app & it gives the cars exact location on a street map. The only downside is that the car has to be stationary for 5 mins before the tracker locates it as bizarrely it cannot track the car whilst it’s moving. Given the costs of fitting a separate tracker I’m really happy with this feature which is about the only useful part of the car net system

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:43 pm

Wow ... sounds better than I thought it would be. The point about the vehicle having to be stationary would be in line with the VW description of this being for locating where you parked the car. Still 5 minutes might still be helpful.
Ordered 22/06/18

AV82

Post by AV82 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:03 pm

I too like the tracker coming as standard with my car. However I have been looking at "ghost systems" that can be fitted and are integrated in the canbus which requires the driver to operate a chosen set of switches/buttons within the car as a pin before the car can be started. You can set it up so the xar will not drive above 35mph as well when leaving it with garages or valets. Relay starting or access with a key cannot start the car without the set sequence. Might be worth looking at as well.
1.5TSI 150ps petrol EVO R-Line 7spd DSG White Silver Black Roof 2018 R-Line signature trim.