New Ford puma ST

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 925

New Ford puma ST

Post by Deleted User 925 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:19 am

Hawkeye

Re: New Ford puma ST

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:23 am

That's nice - and possibly the next car after the T-ROC........
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Deleted User 925

Post by Deleted User 925 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:29 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:23 am
That's nice - and possibly the next car after the T-ROC........
The trouble is you're already in a 2 litre 4motion, wish I had it :mrgreen:

twist

Post by twist » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:37 am

I’ve seen a couple of new (non ST) Puma’s around my area and I particularly like it in the light grey color (very similar to Audi’s Nano Grey).

Also as someone who has a small dog that loves to roll in mud, the MegaBox is a brilliant idea for rinsing down a dog before he gets in the car!

Performance isn’t all that impressive though. It’s the same engine as the Fiesta ST, right? 3 cylinder pushed to its absolute limits and sounds awful? I guess that’s just the way performance engines are these days with emission regulations and probably the same reason Ford discontinued the RS in Europe.

I couldn’t live with one of those noisy, screaming, banging engines they put in the Fiesta ST. There are a few in my area and they give me a headache. I much prefer a refined, suitably sized engine that doesn’t have to work as hard. My friend had an M140i and that thing sounded absolutely beautiful. B56 3.0L straight 6 that never felt like it was overworked but crushed you into your seat and the sound was incredible. I think we’ve seen the last of those engines though. Sad times.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Deleted User 925

Post by Deleted User 925 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:55 pm

twist wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:37 am

Performance isn’t all that impressive though. It’s the same engine as the Fiesta ST, right? 3 cylinder pushed to its absolute limits and sounds awful?
Funnily enough I like the grey in it too.
Agreed, the 125bhp 1 litre 3 cylinder might not be great but I had the T-Cross 1 litre courtesy car with 115 BHP and it was nippy.

The puma ST has the 1.5 4 cylinder with 197 BHP.
It's probably around the same price as a T-Roc so that would put it out of the picture.

twist

Post by twist » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:28 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:55 pm
twist wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:37 am

Performance isn’t all that impressive though. It’s the same engine as the Fiesta ST, right? 3 cylinder pushed to its absolute limits and sounds awful?
Funnily enough I like the grey in it too.
Agreed, the 125bhp 1 litre 3 cylinder might not be great but I had the T-Cross 1 litre courtesy car with 115 BHP and it was nippy.

The puma ST has the 1.5 4 cylinder with 197 BHP.
It's probably around the same price as a T-Roc so that would put it out of the picture.
That's what I mean: these smaller engines with 3 cylinders do well when given reasonable workloads (VW's 1.0L 3 cylinder is always well talked about) but when they push them to the limits they sound like they're going to explode. I have to wonder about longevity too.

Where did you see the Puma ST is getting a 4 cylinder? I'm pretty sure it gets the same 3 banger that's in the Fiesta ST and it sounds pretty awful. Admittedly the ones I hear all the time near me are leased by your typical twenty-something troglodyte with no rent to pay living with mum and dad and no idea how to drive a car economically.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Deleted User 925

Post by Deleted User 925 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:54 pm

twist wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:28 pm

Where did you see the Puma ST is getting a 4 cylinder?
I made an assumption for three reasons!
1: The original 1.5 182bhp was a 4 cylinder.
2: I didn't think it was possible to get 197bhp out of a 1 litre 3 cylinder.
3: I don't know what I'm talking about.

I stand corrected :lol: :lol:

shelplec

Post by shelplec » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:36 pm

I tried a couple of models of the puma,not overly impressed I was not keen on the way the car drives on and off the throttle,first it seems to run on then the regeneration comes in and it slows dramatically,them moving off it appears slow to get going then the hybrid system kicks in and off it goes,certainly not a relaxing drive I felt it was more like a high riding hot hatch than a suv.