Dashcam

The place to discuss everything else..
Superhero

Dashcam

Post by Superhero » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Are you guys going to get a dashcam? I actually read that Halfords wire it in for 30 quid, but only selected cars, so surely not a brand new model like the T-Roc? It must be fairly easy as a DIY job going via the fuse box.

Which model do you go for? I thought the mirror ones looked smart but have seen that there seem to be lenses (lane keep assist maybe) in the rear view mirror of the T-roc. So will have to stick to a normal dash cam I guess.

Rocky T

Re: Dashcam

Post by Rocky T » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi Superhero,
I have a Nextbase 412gw.
It is easy to fit to the windscreen with he sucker mount and then run the cable along the top of the windscreen under the roof trim.
I then ran it under the door rubber down to the floor and then under the floor mats and into the 12v aux in the dash.
It will turn on when the ignition is switched on and automatically switches off when you turn the ignition off.
VW T-ROC SEL 2.0 Tsi DSG 4motion Turmeric Yellow. :D

Superhero

Post by Superhero » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 am

Rocky T wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:13 pm
Hi Superhero,
I have a Nextbase 412gw.
It is easy to fit to the windscreen with he sucker mount and then run the cable along the top of the windscreen under the roof trim.
I then ran it under the door rubber down to the floor and then under the floor mats and into the 12v aux in the dash.
It will turn on when the ignition is switched on and automatically switches off when you turn the ignition off.
Have you thought about wiring it in? I believe it is easily done, you even get nextbase wiring kits with the piggy back fuse - I just am not 100% sure which fuse to use. Do you know if the T-Roc has the "normal" fuses? I think the 12v fuse for the cigaratte lighter should work as that's where it plugs in anyway.

mvk

Post by mvk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:27 pm

I bought a NEXTBASE 312GW at Halfords for £79. They were putting the price back up to £99 as I went into the store on Monday morning. I ordered a hard wire kit again NEXTBASE over the internet for £13. Then fitted it myself, dead easy, piggy back into bottom row of fuses and you're done 1/2 hour all told.
Saved £30 on camera
Saved £7 on Hard wire
Saved £30 by doing it myself and I had a £10 gift voucher as well so it ended up costing £82 all done and fitted.
Halfords wanted to charge the next bloke in the queue £149
1.0 TSI SE Special solid - Pure white

mvk

Post by mvk » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:31 pm

I pulled the 15Amp fuse on the bottom row of the fuse box, the one that is blue, and used the 10mm bolt on the heater mounting as it is moulted on an earthing point.
Just hinge the glove box down to get to the fuses. There are two catches at the top of the glove box which you just push up, and it will drop down.

Max

Post by Max » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:26 pm

mvk wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:31 pm
I pulled the 15Amp fuse on the bottom row of the fuse box, the one that is blue, and used the 10mm bolt on the heater mounting as it is moulted on an earthing point.
Just hinge the glove box down to get to the fuses. There are two catches at the top of the glove box which you just push up, and it will drop down.
Hi, so the blue fuse, does it turn off when you switch off ignition??
1.0 TSI Petrol, Manual, Design, Metallic Indium Grey, Black Roof, Fog Lights, Mayfield Black Wheels, Park Assist.

JAMCT

Post by JAMCT » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:05 pm

My Nexbase Dashcam, hard-wired in my previous car, is to be installed in my T-Roc, inclusive of hard-wiring/fuse kit to the 'appropriate fuse box for £30 by Halfords this Friday. Halfords give you a choice of ignition turne-on operation or, if you want to continue recording whilst parked up, home or away, I 'think' they can wire it to an alternative position but I'm not too sure :?:
T-Roc 1.5 TSI Evo 150ps Design, [ via CarWow / JCT600 ]
Ravenna Blue, Black Roof/Door Mirrors, Silver Roof rails
Ravenna Blue Cloth/dashpad
LED Headlights/Running Lights
RearView Camera
Park Assist
Electric Tailgate
17" Mayfield Black Alloys

guinnessaddick

Post by guinnessaddick » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:50 pm

The top row fuses are on all the time, the bottom row are only on when the ignition is on. Hope this helps.

mvk

Post by mvk » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:24 am

I had to mount the camera a (Nextbase 312GW) lower than I would have liked, as I found a sensor or something like a lens on the back of the interior mirror, and didn't want to obstruct it. I don't know how important it is or, what the sensor is responsible for, so I thought I should not put the camera in the way of it.
Its a pity that the camera mounting brackets are so large, I would have liked the camera right up to the roof lining and up against the screen. as I don't much like the view being obstructed by the camera hanging down.
The picture is excellent in the day light, but as yet I have not tried it in the dark, the last one I had was absolutely useless in the dark. Seeing anything on that one, was like looking for a black cat in a coal house at midnight!

Mackemsteve

Post by Mackemsteve » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:48 am

My VW dealer fits nexbase, properly wired in, for £30 on top of the price of the camera. I'm going to get one fitted when the car goes in for its service.
1.0 TSi Design
Turmeric Yellow & Black
Front, Rear, Side, Park & High Beam Assist.
LED Headlights, Fog Lights.
Active Info Display, Winter Pack.
Beats Audio.
Ordered 28/03/2018 - Collected 11/06/2018

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”