Automatic/DSG gearboxes

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 925

Re: Automatic/DSG gearboxes

Post by Deleted User 925 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:35 pm

Only noticing, a couple of you have the 4motion on the 1.5.
I remember it coming on to the configurator for only a week or two, I wonder how many were made? :roll:

twist

Post by twist » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:39 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:35 pm
I remember it coming on to the configurator for only a week or two, I wonder how many were made? :roll:
Wonder if it just didn’t sell well. I thought it was a fairly reasonably priced upgrade to be honest. If I hadn’t reached my budget I probably would have gone for it.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Deleted User 925

Post by Deleted User 925 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:07 pm

twist wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:39 pm
vernerbongo2 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:35 pm
Wonder if it just didn’t sell well. I thought it was a fairly reasonably priced upgrade to be honest. If I hadn’t reached my budget I probably would have gone for it.
Can't remember the pricing but I can remember it was only on the configurator for a week or two :P
It's available on the skoda karoq and kodiaq.
Handy in the snow, even if it is only now and again.

twist

Post by twist » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:51 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:07 pm
Can't remember the pricing but I can remember it was only on the configurator for a week or two :P
It's available on the skoda karoq and kodiaq.
Handy in the snow, even if it is only now and again.
Yeah it was pulled very quickly from the configurator but I think it was available long before it was added to the configurator. I remember my local dealership being a bit confused about it.

Book price (which only insane people pay) it was a ~£1500 option. Probably ~£1200 with a reasonable discount. That’s quite a fair ask for the improved traction and much better multi-link suspension for a true off-roader. Ok 150bhp isn’t exactly going to make a mountain climber but it probably does pretty well!

And as you say: a bit more confidence in poor weather.

mzracam74

Post by mzracam74 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:29 am

I initially ordered 1.5 standard SEL, couple of weeks later noticed 1.5 4motion on config, asked dealer if possible to change and advised that they were unable to get. They offered 2.0 4motion which I decided to go for, went back in couple days later to sort paperwork for new order and they advised they had managed to place order for 1.5. No doubt the 2.0 would have been quicker and normal 1.5 more economical but for mileage I do it's ok
1.5 SEL DSG 4 motion, Indium Grey. Driver assistance pack, sports pack and winter pack, adamantium wheels. Ordered 09Feb19. Collected 14jun19

sagwal

Post by sagwal » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:34 am

Is it necessary to move the lever to N at a traffic signal? I always keep auto start/stop on and whenever I am about to stop the car it turns off the engine at traffic signal. As engine is stopped now there is no worry of wear & tear in DSG due lever in D mode. I always keep auto-hold activated.

So at signal I keep in D mode with auto start/stop activated and brakes are applied by auto-hold. Just before the green signal, I turn the steering a little bit to start the engine.

is Auto hold is equivalent to pressing the pedal ??
India
Yellow 1.5 TSI
7-Speed DSG,
Production 06/12/2019
Booking 31/08/2020
Collection Date 21/09/2020
Panoramic Sunroof, Mayfield 7Jx17 215/55 R17 Tyre,
Lane Assist, Park Distance Control, Rear View Camera
No ACC , Vienna Leather Seats

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:13 am

Yes, autohold basically works by continuing to hold the footbrake using the ABS module. However it does not maintain the stopping of the engine, like some cars do, for this you must continue to hold the footbrake. What you can do, stop as you do now, but when you want to restart release the footbrake. The engine will restart but the brakes will remain applied. You can then move off by touching the accelerator.

Regarding moving into N, no not required. The car detects the brakes applied and reduces the clutch engagement so preventing the wear. This from VW some years ago when I was new to DSG

"Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Volkswagen Tiguan’s DSG transmission.

I have forwarded your enquiry to our Technical Support Team, who has offered the following advice regarding the creep control of your vehicle’s DSG transmission; please note the information offered is not for use on any non-approved forums:

Creep control "Creep" refers to the creep behaviour which a conventional automatic gearbox with a torque converter exhibits when the engine is idling and a gear is selected. The creep control function works like this: when the engine is idling and a gear is selected, a defined slip torque is set at the clutch (clutch torque) causing the vehicle to "creep". This allows the vehicle to be manoeuvred (e.g. when parking) without using the accelerator pedal, thus enhancing driving comfort. The vehicle behaves as one would expect an automatic gearbox to. The clutch torque is adjusted to between 1 and 40 Nm, depending on the driving condition and vehicle road speed. A special feature of the creep control is that of reduced clutch torque at vehicle standstill with the brake applied, whereby less torque is required of the engine (the clutch is further open). Clutch torque is reduced to approx. 1 Nm, depending on the brake pressure. The tendency of the vehicle to creep is reduced accordingly.

I hope this information proves to be of use.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK."

As you can see, the DSG creep is not a single setting, but is constantly being monitored and adjusted, and will not cause premature clutch wear.

twist

Post by twist » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:22 am

Tricky2 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:13 am
Yes, autohold basically works by continuing to hold the footbrake using the ABS module. However it does not maintain the stopping of the engine, like some cars do, for this you must continue to hold the footbrake. What you can do, stop as you do now, but when you want to restart release the footbrake. The engine will restart but the brakes will remain applied. You can then move off by touching the accelerator.

Regarding moving into N, no not required. The car detects the brakes applied and reduces the clutch engagement so preventing the wear. This from VW some years ago when I was new to DSG

"Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding your Volkswagen Tiguan’s DSG transmission.

I have forwarded your enquiry to our Technical Support Team, who has offered the following advice regarding the creep control of your vehicle’s DSG transmission; please note the information offered is not for use on any non-approved forums:

Creep control "Creep" refers to the creep behaviour which a conventional automatic gearbox with a torque converter exhibits when the engine is idling and a gear is selected. The creep control function works like this: when the engine is idling and a gear is selected, a defined slip torque is set at the clutch (clutch torque) causing the vehicle to "creep". This allows the vehicle to be manoeuvred (e.g. when parking) without using the accelerator pedal, thus enhancing driving comfort. The vehicle behaves as one would expect an automatic gearbox to. The clutch torque is adjusted to between 1 and 40 Nm, depending on the driving condition and vehicle road speed. A special feature of the creep control is that of reduced clutch torque at vehicle standstill with the brake applied, whereby less torque is required of the engine (the clutch is further open). Clutch torque is reduced to approx. 1 Nm, depending on the brake pressure. The tendency of the vehicle to creep is reduced accordingly.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.
"
From that note, it seems that the clutches are not fully disengaged so in my mind, there’s still wear happening, even if it’s a negligible amount.

I’m still going to put mine in N when stopped for any substantial length of time but I think it’s safe to not bother at standard traffic lights.

I live in a place where the traffic light design is appalling at certain junctions. Sometimes each direction (north, east, south and west) get green for a good minute while everyone else gets red and then all the crosswalks go green for a minute too so if you miss your green, you’re stuck there for about 4 minutes. It’s horrendous. No wonder I see so many people on their phones there (not that that’s at all acceptable!!) It’s lights like those I pop it in N.

sagwal

Post by sagwal » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:37 am

Tricky2 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:13 am

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK."

As you can see, the DSG creep is not a single setting, but is constantly being monitored and adjusted, and will not cause premature clutch wear.
This is very good explanation.
Engine is stopped by auto start/stop. There is no need to keep the foot on pedal.

As most of the times engine is off at signal (thanks to start/stop) so there is no point of slipping of the clutch.

Auto start-stop activated + auto hold + D I think there will be zero wear in DSG as long as the engine is off.
India
Yellow 1.5 TSI
7-Speed DSG,
Production 06/12/2019
Booking 31/08/2020
Collection Date 21/09/2020
Panoramic Sunroof, Mayfield 7Jx17 215/55 R17 Tyre,
Lane Assist, Park Distance Control, Rear View Camera
No ACC , Vienna Leather Seats