Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

1M views 3K replies 222 participants last post by  VWMan 
#1 ·
As a foreword I'm going to say I love my TROC, it's one of the best driving cars i've ever had. However is it just me or do other 1.5 EVO drivers find the TROC can kangaroo a bit in 1st gear if you don't time the clutch and accelerator perfectly?

Never had this problem with any other car and I drive a lot of different cars. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Reactions: Jwce
#1,077 ·
I wish you all luck the troc is a great looking car pity that the engine lets it down , I personally have very little faith in vw and think they have turned their backs on all the customers who put faith in them to produce a great car,years ago if you had a golf you got great build quality and the cars were great now you get mass produced under developed shite that they just expect everyone to accept I wouldn't buy another vw if you paid me,you get a crap meal in a restaurant you don't go back!thats my outlook

#1,079 ·
Hi All. Just had a call from VW UK Exec Office and they advise that the dealers are rolling out a software fix for the Rooing issue. I have my 1.5Tsi booked in with my dealer this Thursday. They say it will take up to 2 hours and is the first T-Roc they will have done with this software update. I am hopeful that this update is going to work but will not know until first thing Friday morning when the engine is cold. Will let you know how it goes.

Fingers Crossed

T-Roc 1.5Tsi SE DSG Black White with added Roo

#1,080 ·
ianchelt said:
Hi All. Just had a call from VW UK Exec Office and they advise that the dealers are rolling out a software fix for the Rooing issue. I have my 1.5Tsi booked in with my dealer this Thursday. They say it will take up to 2 hours and is the first T-Roc they will have done with this software update. I am hopeful that this update is going to work but will not know until first thing Friday morning when the engine is cold. Will let you know how it goes.

Fingers Crossed

Hi ianchelt
Hope all goes well for the software fix, my cars still six months+ from being built did get a call from the the dealer to say they are hopeful for Sept/Oct but I think it will be December/January, at least they have guaranteed my p/x trade in price etc. If it goes into next year I may go for something else. Not all the DSG 1.5tsi are afflicted with the Roo so I'm hoping it's sorted by then.
I'm presuming your still sticking with VW I remember you had a year waiting for yours, I've got the similar engine/DSG in my Golf and it's fine so somewhere along the line they've changed the settings, so let's hope this solves the problem.
Cheers
Ian

#1,081 ·
ianchelt said:

Fingers Crossed

Good luck ... I've got my fingers crossed for you and all the other Roo keepers.

#1,083 ·
Musicegbdf said:
Interesting , let's see if they tell you that it will take 600 miles for the ECU to learn the update . That is what Skoda owners have been told .
I wonder if the same principle for my Triumph motorcycle (which is EU4 compliant) for when changing the exhaust or for using petrol when in another country which has a different ethanol content will be as applicable to this update from VW. Essentially for my motorcycle its what they call the 12 minute tune-up. Essentially you start the bike from cold not touching the throttle at all and just let it tick over until the radiator fan cuts in - you then let it tick over for a further 12 minutes (without touching the throttle, no revving at all) and in that time the ECU has learnt the new settings.

Alternately, I could just let my bike's ECU 'learn' the new settings over 500 miles or so. The 12 minute tune-up is a quick way of achieving the same without having to wait.

Just wondering whether the VAG ECU may work the same way, given that the ECU is capable of 'learning' and it takes approx 600 miles.

#1,084 ·
Here in Finland our Passat 1.5TSI DSG got its update (released friday) yesterday. They didn't tell exactly what it was about and it should have an effect immediately. After a short test in +5 it has at least improved the car significantly. The car doesn't hesitate anymore when launching and I might be wrong but it feels like it's slipping the clutch more. When driving with steady throttle I didn't feel anything unusual. I hope this is the case also in colder weather and that this would mean a fix is possible for every 1.5 around. I have to try it again if it still gets even a bit colder.

#1,085 ·
Jk320 said:
Here in Finland our Passat 1.5TSI DSG got its update (released friday) yesterday. They didn't tell exactly what it was about and it should have an effect immediately. After a short test in +5 it has at least improved the car significantly. The car doesn't hesitate anymore when launching and I might be wrong but it feels like it's slipping the clutch more. When driving with steady throttle I didn't feel anything unusual. I hope this is the case also in colder weather and that this would mean a fix is possible for every 1.5 around. I have to try it again if it still gets even a bit colder.
Hi Jk350 - This is really positive news and I'm really pleased for you guys. Testing in the colder temperatures is clearly the key to proving VW have cracked this issue. We are waking up to 9Deg C at the moment witch is subduing the Rooing affect on my car. My ECU software update is being done on Thursday and I am really hoping, like yours, it going to do the trick.

Can you keep us up to date on your Roo story.

Cheers

1.5Tsi SE DSG White/Black (with built in Roo - for now!!!!)

#1,086 ·
Jk320 said:
I hadn't realised from the recent posts that this latest software 'fix' was being applied to DSGs and not just manuals. If it is the same update, then that would tend to confirm the theory that the DSG has been masking the issue.

I wonder if all existing owners will be contacted and advised to book a dealer appointment, or only those who have complained of the issue to their dealer.

#1,087 ·
Impala said:
Jk320 said:

I wonder if all existing owners will be contacted and advised to book a dealer appointment, or only those who have complained of the issue to their dealer.
Was just about to ask the same, although I'm not sure mine is a roo it is certainly a bit jerky when I first set off, quickly goes OK.

Maybe something to do at its 12 month service?

#1,088 ·
Jk320 said:
Hmm, y'see if 'slipping the clutch more' is the so-called solution, it doesn't cut it with me. I can slip the clutch excessively to overcome the first gear hesitation but that's not the point. Who will be funding all the worn out clutches that occur as a result of a crummy 'fix'?

It'll be you and me.

The cars should be fixed so that they run like every other modern car and that is smoothly and without excessive clutch slip or give us our money back for selling a not fit for purpose dud for which a proper fix is not (apparently) achievable.

#1,089 ·
Impala said:
I'll put money on it only being applied if you have a problem, also that it will be down to the owner to contact the dealer (even if they have reported the issue previously) i'd like to be proved wrong, but VW won't contact all owners as that then would be like a general recall with all the cost implications.

More I would say that it will be applied either by an owner complaining (and contacting their dealer again, if complained before) or it will be applied as an upgrade at the next service as part of the service schedule. Of the 2 I suspect the latter for getting it applied to all VAG cars.

#1,090 ·
Jk320 said:
Re what feels like a slipping clutch - I know exactly what you mean as i had a similar impression on my 2.0 TSi DSG but it's actually not slipping the clutch, it's just how the latest DSG boxes work and the revs etc they engage / disengage at from standstill.

#1,092 ·
loll69 said:
I've been watching this post with interest. I pick up my Q2 on Saturday and asked them about the 1.5 engine and mentioned it seems a big issue on all vwg cars, they said never heard of problems
Ah the classic "never heard of this".. response. :lol: :D

That would mark the dealer down hugely on my reference scale.. Mine said that too which turned out to be one of several complete untruths I got from him..

I'd have a look on the Audi forum and send across a couple of reference numbers that are with their Exec office posted on there..!

#1,093 ·
loll69 said:
I've been watching this post with interest. I pick up my Q2 on Saturday and asked them about the 1.5 engine and mentioned it seems a big issue on all vwg cars, they said never heard of problems
Hmmm ... that's what my dealer said when I collected my Q2 on 8th March, and 2 days later when I first reported the rooing and cutting out problems. Later on during the subsequent rejection process they eventually admitted that there was a problem and that Audi were supposedly working on a fix. Anyway, it's been rejected, fully refunded, and I am now driving a new non-VW Group vehicle. The rejected vehicle is still listed for sale on the dealer's website.

Good luck!
Simon.

#1,094 ·
loll69 said:
Hmm - sorry you need to understand VAG speak. Having had 3 Audi's previously when they say they have "never heard of any problems" what they mean is that there is nothing on the Recall log. But there is also a separate fix log for customer cars that come in that are showing the appropriate symptoms.

For instance - on my previous RSQ3, I had an issue with the MMI screen (same as Infotainment on VW's) resetting itself at odd intervals. Put it in to the dealer and there was a fix for it. However had I not experienced the problem I wouldn't have got the fix. Was there a recall? No.

So is there a problem with the Q2 1.5 - absolutely not, there is no recall for the 1.5 Q2's. Is there a problem with the T-ROC 1.5's? Absolutely not, there is no recall notice. But apparently now there is a solution if you experience the problem and put it into the workshop for investigation.

Hopefully when you get yours the 'roo' issue won't be evident and Audi will have applied the latest version of the firmware during the build, so you don't then get the issue.

Enjoy your Q2, hope all goes well with it.

#1,095 ·
My 1.5 TSI T-Roc has had the recent software fix applied. The vehicle drives and performs very differently. No power and over revving in 1st gear. Fuel consumption has changed (not for the better). Whilst kangarooing has reduced significantly it has not been totally eliminated. Yet to experience a stall. I can't help but feel this is a rather large sticking plaster covering up whatever the underlying issue is.

In short the vehicle performs nothing like the 1.5 TSI that I test drove before purchase. If I had test driven a vehicle that performed like mine now does I would not have made the purchase.

#1,096 ·
FLC2091 said:
My 1.5 TSI T-Roc has had the recent software fix applied. The vehicle drives and performs very differently. No power and over revving in 1st gear. Fuel consumption has changed (not for the better). Whilst kangarooing has reduced significantly it has not been totally eliminated. Yet to experience a stall. I can't help but feel this is a rather large sticking plaster covering up whatever the underlying issue is.

In short the vehicle performs nothing like the 1.5 TSI that I test drove before purchase. If I had test driven a vehicle that performed like mine now does I would not have made the purchase.
Hi and welcome
Is yours an auto or manual?

#1,097 ·
Newtroconthebloc said:
FLC2091 said:

Hi and welcome
Is yours an auto or manual?
Manual. Vehicle is now kangarooing on start up regardless of warm or cold.

#1,099 ·
FLC2091 said:

Bah, this is exactly what has been predicted by people here: a choked engine, clutch-slipping-over-revving shenanigans and knackered mpg. There seems to be 3 options: 1. Have the 'fix' and be bored to tears in a sub-standard car with a plummeting value; 2. Refuse to let the 'fix' anywhere near your car and tell VW to try harder to properly fix it pronto; or 3. Get your money back and steer well clear of the whole VAG Group. :evil:

#1,100 ·
T Roo said:
FLC2091 said:

Bah, this is exactly what has been predicted by people here: a choked engine, clutch-slipping-over-revving shenanigans and knackered mpg. There seems to be 3 options: 1. Have the 'fix' and be bored to tears in a sub-standard car with a plummeting value; 2. Refuse to let the 'fix' anywhere near your car and tell VW to try harder to properly fix it pronto; or 3. Get your money back and steer well clear of the whole VAG Group. :evil:
What's your decision?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.