Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Impala

Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by Impala » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Since getting my T-Roc just 3 weeks ago, most of my driving has been short local journeys and the Sat Nav speed limit display worked as before on my Golf. However, yesterday was my first trip to Glasgow in the T-Roc and I was very disappointed to find the speed limit display disappeared completely on some stretches of the motorway, usually where the limits vary, so the exact situations where it is most helpful. Also, when I exited the motorway on to 30 mph streets the speed limit was still not displayed. :cry:

I've driven the same route for years and the Sat Nav on my 2014 Golf always displayed the speed limits correctly over the entire route, so something has changed. Either a fault, bad map data or bad Sat Nav software. We tried switching off then on again but it made no difference.

I will check the version & date in the car settings then check the web to see if I have the latest map data, but I was wondering if anyone else on the forum has noticed the Sat Nav speed limit display disappearing at times.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Ianh

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by Ianh » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:59 pm

Yes, same here. It happens on stretches of smart motorways where there is a variable speed limit, so with that and the lack of traffic sign recognition, you have to keep your wits about you.
Ianh

Car 1 - TRoc RLine 1.5 manual , pure white black roof, picked up Jun 18, returned Nov 18
Car 2 - TRoc RLine 1.5 manual , pure white black roof, picked up Nov 18, returned Jun 19
Car 3 - TRoc RLine 1.5 manual , pure white black roof, picked up Jun 19

brid

Post by brid » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:56 pm

Ianh wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:59 pm
Yes, same here. It happens on stretches of smart motorways where there is a variable speed limit, so with that and the lack of traffic sign recognition, you have to keep your wits about you.
Is this the satnav data on the SD card that is the problem?
I get the impression that traffic sign recon is not an VW option in the UK. Is this the case and does any body know the reason why?
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:44 pm

This is all Sat Nav stuff ... the traffic sign recognition (which includes speed limits & more) is a different system based on recognising signs with the forward facing camera, also used for lane assist.

The Sat Nav displays speed limits based on the GPS position and the map data storeed on the SD card.

Also, this isn't about Smart motorways, where speed limits can be adjusted dynamically from a remote control centre, as such data would not be in the map data for the Sat Nav. The roads I was referring to have fixed speed limits but because they are classed as urban motorways, some parts have 50 mph, 60 mph or 70 mph limits.

I've checked the SD card in the car and it is NOT the latest level of map data. I'm currently in the process of downloading the new version and updating my SD card.

FYI ...

The original SD card supplied in the car (delivered 20 May 2019) has the following version info;
5NA919866 1030 ECE1 2018/19

The new version info is;
5NA919866H 1115 ECE1 2019/20

I will be travelling on part of the same route tomorrow and will post an update on any change.
Ordered 22/06/18

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:24 pm

Yep, mine loses the Speed Limit display from time to time. Must get around to updating to the latest map version, normally VAG group update these around January and July - or so I thought but given what Impala just posted, maybe not any longer!
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

RedRoc

Post by RedRoc » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:13 am

Impala, you may find an improvement with your update. There has been much debate on other VW forums over the speed limit notifications on 'last years' update data, which you seem to have been supplied with in your car. A lot of errors were mentioned including what you have said, and dual carriageways/roundabouts suddenly going from 60/30 to 20mph!! I avoided updating my Passat's nav due to comments made, but have found (so far) no problems with the 2019/20 update.
VW customers services were inundated with complaints at the time, so hopefully they have addressed the error
T-Roc 1.0 SE Flash Red -

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Update after installing new map data ... No improvement whatsoever :cry: :twisted:

I had another 50 mile run yesterday from the Ayrshire coast up to Glasgow and then on to Airdrie (east of Glasgow) and I made the following observations;

- Speed limit was displayed on single and dual carriageway A roads.
- Joined the M8 at Glasgow airport and speed limit disappeared (50/60/70 mph sections).
- Left the M8 to go to Braehead shopping centre and display came back on exit slip-lane but disappeared inside the Braehead site.
- Left Braehead and rejoined M8 (East), 70 mph speed limit was shown for a minute or so then disappeared.
- Drove through Glasgow, across the Kingston Bridge and then followed M80 towards Stirling. No speed limits displayed at any point.
- Left M80 to head towards Airdrie, speed limit appeared but then disappeared when crossing over the M80 and reappeared again.

While off the motorway, I noticed that when I came to some junctions/roundabouts, the speed limit disappeared until I had crossed over the junction even though all the other roads were the same class and limit. Also, when I enter a housing estate, either at home or when visiting relations yesterday, the speed limit disappears as soon as I turn off the main road.

The return journey was another 50 miles on the same route and almost identical with one significant but puzzling difference. While on the M80 heading in to Glasgow and on a 50 mph stretch, the speed limit was not displayed but flashed up for about 1 or 2 seconds while passing an exit slip lane.

I have to say that I have driven these routes many, many times over the past 5 years in my Golf and the SatNav never once failed to display the (correct) speed limit over the entire route. Does no one at VW or their partners ever test these things !

My next step will be an email to my dealer service dept. and one to VW customer services.
Ordered 22/06/18

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:51 pm

I've been reading the numerous posts on the Tiguan forum about Sat Nav and speed limit display problems. Most are describing the displayed limit not matching the road or the limits on HERE maps, as opposed to my issue of no speed limit being displayed.

However, I'm sure these problems are related and it may be that the map data provider or VW have taken the drastic step of just not displaying the limit rather than displaying incorrect limits, hopefully until they sort this out.

Apparently this has been going on for a while and affects other VAG cars ... does that sound familiar ? Oh, and VW are trying to pass the buck and say they are not responsible for the map data.

I'm yet to be convinced if it is the map data which is wrong, or if it is some other part of the VW SatNav software which is wrongly interpreting the meta data provided in the maps.
Ordered 22/06/18

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:59 pm

I've put my TomTom (which I use on my motorbike and has the latest maps) in mine and had the same route displayed as that on my Sat Nav. TomTom manage to get all the speeds showing ok all the time (not always right, but then no sat nav ever is), but at least it displayed it all the time.

So if TomTom can do it VW, how come you can't?
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

TrocAl

Post by TrocAl » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:25 pm

I just keep Waze running in the background on CarPlay with a 5% speed limit warning. To get it to work open waze from CarPlay (don’t select a route), and the open VW nav.

Best of both worlds... sat nav on active info using vw nav... audio warnings and on screen notifications for speed limits and cams using waze.

Agree that vw should up their game but in the meantime I’m happy with my solution.
1.5 TSi SEL DSG
Urbano Grey
Driver Assist Pack, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Motorised boot lid, Lumbar front Seat, Winter Pack
Ordered 20 Oct 18 - Collected 30 Mar 19