Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Car key battery going already?

9K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Steve 
#1 ·
Went to the cinema last night and hubbys key would not work to unlock the door. Then it couldn't detect the key when he got in. So he got it out of his pocket and then could start the car. The door would not open keyless again this morning. Surely the battery should not have died after less than 2 months of use?

#2 ·
After just searching on here appears I can try and resync the key. It can't be the battery if no battery low error on dashboard.

Can only find a video to do it with a keyed ignition. I have keyless ignition.

#3 ·
There is a Faults & Technical area for this.

However judging by your history we could probably create your own Tigermad complaints corner.

Think I'm exaggerating, you've moaned about the following alone in the last few pages:

- Chipping your paint
- VW Connect broken
- Front Assist error
- Broken Brakes
- Front Assist error x 2
- Eco Mode error
- Windscreen damage

God give your poor local VW dealership strength ...

#4 ·
hikeimperial said:

However judging by your history we could probably create your own Tigermad complaints corner.

Think I'm exaggerating, you've moaned about the following alone in the last few pages:

- Chipping your paint
- VW Connect broken
- Front Assist error
- Broken Brakes
- Front Assist error x 2
- Eco Mode error
- Windscreen damage

Pity there is not a "ahole" corner for people like you. It's nice to know I'm being stalked.

#5 ·
hikeimperial said:

- Chipping your paint
- VW Connect broken
- Front Assist error
- Broken Brakes
- Front Assist error x 2
- Eco Mode error
- Windscreen damage

I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons for a forum such as this is for owners to find answers to their car issues.
If you prefer a happy clappy forum then you should start your own.

#6 ·
T Roc Chick said:
hikeimperial said:

- Chipping your paint
- VW Connect broken
- Front Assist error
- Broken Brakes
- Front Assist error x 2
- Eco Mode error
- Windscreen damage

I'm pretty sure one of the main reasons for a forum such as this is for owners to find answers to their car issues.
If you prefer a happy clappy forum then you should start your own.
Thanks. It's not really my fault some of my issues are VW problems that a new car should not be having.

#7 ·
@Tigermad I don't have keyless so can't comment, but looking at the manual, it appears you can temporarily disable keyless access, and I wonder if (accidentally) you may have done this. Here's what the manual says for disable / re-enable

Temporarily deactivating Keyless Access
Keyless Access can be deactivated temporarily as described below so that the vehicle cannot be unlocked and started due to misuse by unauthorised third parties.
Lock the vehicle with the button in the vehicle key.
In addition, touch the sensor on the outside of the door handle ⇒ Fig. 53Ⓑ once within five seconds. Do not reach into the door handle.
Keyless Access is temporarily deactivated.

Check deactivation by waiting for at least ten seconds and then pull the door handle again. It should not be possible to open the door

When the vehicle is next unlocked, it can be unlocked only using the vehicle key. The Keyless Access locking and starting system is reactivated the next time the vehicle is unlocked.

So if I read between the lines, it looks like if you try to unlock the car using the vehicle key it might well re-enable keyless access.

If you didn't accidently dis-able it, I guess it;s always possible that some lowlife may have tried to clone your keyless access (and failed) - lot of it about these days - which might have caused the system to dis-able.

Hope that helps

#8 ·
hikeimperial said:

- Chipping your paint
- VW Connect broken
- Front Assist error
- Broken Brakes
- Front Assist error x 2
- Eco Mode error
- Windscreen damage

Perhaps VW could consider better quality control and such posts would not be necessary.

#9 ·
** Can we ensure we remain polite and friendly to all members please. **

The forum has been setup to also discuss ownership and faults, if anyone can offer help or assistance to members who post about issues then please do.

I will move this to the faults section as I believe that's the most suitable place.

Thanks

#10 ·
Hawkeye said:
@Tigermad I don't have keyless so can't comment, but looking at the manual, it appears you can temporarily disable keyless access, and I wonder if (accidentally) you may have done this. Here's what the manual says for disable / re-enable

Keyless Access can be deactivated temporarily as described below so that the vehicle cannot be unlocked and started due to misuse by unauthorised third parties.
In addition, touch the sensor on the outside of the door handle ⇒ Fig. 53Ⓑ once within five seconds. Do not reach into the door handle.

Check deactivation by waiting for at least ten seconds and then pull the door handle again. It should not be possible to open the door

When the vehicle is next unlocked, it can be unlocked only using the vehicle key. The Keyless Access locking and starting system is reactivated the next time the vehicle is unlocked.

So if I read between the lines, it looks like if you try to unlock the car using the vehicle key it might well re-enable keyless access.

If you didn't accidently dis-able it, I guess it;s always possible that some lowlife may have tried to clone your keyless access (and failed) - lot of it about these days - which might have caused the system to dis-able.

Hope that helps
I've got the Keyless System and can confirm that the disabling sequence as quoted in the Manual does exactly what it says on the tin
(I found out about this function days after having bought a Faraday Cage Bag to keep my keyfobs in :!: )
We only use this method of locking as an 'Overnight - Mode' as it's quite unlikely that our keys would be copied/read while we are away from the house (one guy with a code reader and another guy with a laptop standing near the car waiting for it to pop open :?: :?: ). However, I can also confirm that, when we next unlock the car (using the Fob), the key IS recognised and the appropriate Driver Profile is available. :) :)
So I'm afraid you've got a problem ... don't know how to 're-register the Key, best get down to the Dealer

#11 ·
Swsgm30 said:
Hawkeye said:

Hope that helps
I've got the Keyless System and can confirm that the disabling sequence as quoted in the Manual does exactly what it says on the tin
(I found out about this function days after having bought a Faraday Cage Bag to keep my keyfobs in :!: )
We only use this method of locking as an 'Overnight - Mode' as it's quite unlikely that our keys would be copied/read while we are away from the house (one guy with a code reader and another guy with a laptop standing near the car waiting for it to pop open :?: :?: ). However, I can also confirm that, when we next unlock the car (using the Fob), the key IS recognised and the appropriate Driver Profile is available. :) :)
So I'm afraid you've got a problem ... don't know how to 're-register the Key, best get down to the Dealer
Thanks. It's working fine now so must be another VW glitch.

#13 ·
Regarding the key fob battery. I have not got a keyless system but a warning to replace the battery came on the driver display last week. Not sure if the same warning is applicable to keyless cars. Replaced very easily after 16 months of use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.