Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

1.5 latest update

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Potsy 
#1 ·
Hi only done a few miles on the Troc but would like to people's minds at rest regarding the 1.5 petrol engine,I have experienced no kangaroo problems or any hesitation when cold,which I did have very slightly with my previous mk7.5 golf with the same engine.So I Hope vw have finaly solved it.

#3 ·
Good news. But there are still many MY 18/19 owners who have been hung out to dry. The kangaroo issue won't be resolved in my mind until everyone who bought in good faith gets their car fixed or proper recompense.

VW just can't wash their hands of it, which seems to be their European dieselgate strategy. Not so in the US of course where lawyers go for the jugular :|

#4 ·
As detailed in my previous post I had seven months of anxiety wondering whether I was doing the right thing ordering a T ROC when I already knew that the internet is littered with people complaining about the 1.5 engine kangarooing. I'm glad to say it looks like I dodged a bullet and if anything the seven month wait might have been a blessing as it's given VAG time to get it sorted.

My sympathy goes to the people that are struggling along with the kangarooing engines. After all the bad press that VW received from dieselgate you would have thought VW's PR department would do everything possible to win the public's trust. A google search of the 1.5 tsi engine immediately highlights all the problems, wouldn't it be better for everyone (car owners as well as VW) if it was illustrating how VAG recognised the problem and had resolved all of the cases.

Just an idea here - my previous car was a 1.0 Ford Focus ecoboost which I also purchased from new. When it went in for a service the mechanics said there was a problem with the engine (not that I had noticed!) they contacted Ford and they arranged for a new engine to be installed. I know VAG would have to take a hit replacing all of those engines that continue to kangaroo but I do wonder how many people decided to go elsewhere when ordering a new car because of the known 1.5 engine issue. I know I considered a number of other cars but I'm glad that I held out for the T ROC. My Focus was considered a good car when I bought it 6 years ago but this T ROC is streets ahead in comparison. Cars have certainly advanced quite a bit over the last 6 years.

#5 ·
After six years with a Skoda Yeti I'd decided it was time for a new car and pretty much chosen a T Roc, that was until I started reading all the horror stories of the kangorooing issues, I eventually chose to look elsewhere as I couldn't bring myself to spend thirty thousand pounds on a car with known issues. So that was one lost sale to VW,how many more I wonder as it cost them.

#6 ·
Update planned for the 10th this month. hopefully finally a solution.
Already saw in the VW system a clear subscription about the update, the update is for shocking in 1/2/3 gear with cold engine. exactly the problem I experience so I have good hopes.

#7 ·
Sanchez999 said:
Already saw in the VW system a clear subscription about the update, the update is for shocking in 1/2/3 gear with cold engine. exactly the problem I experience so I have good hopes.
So variant 5 or 6 is hopefully resolved? Looking forward to your findings after the 10th!

T-ROC hesitation/judder/flat spot variants:
1. Flat spot in first gear when the engine is cold;
2. Flat spot in first gear when the engine is warm or cold;
3. Hesitation (engine response delay when throttle is fully depressed) in first gear when the engine is cold ;
4. Hesitation (engine response delay when throttle is fully depressed) in first gear whether the engine is cold or warm;
5. Judder in first and second gears when cold; and
6. Judder in gears 1, 2 and/or 3 whether the engine is cold or warm.

#8 ·
T Roo said:
Sanchez999 said:
So variant 5 or 6 is hopefully resolved? Looking forward to your findings after the 10th!

T-ROC hesitation/judder/flat spot variants:
1. Flat spot in first gear when the engine is cold;
2. Flat spot in first gear when the engine is warm or cold;
3. Hesitation (engine response delay when throttle is fully depressed) in first gear when the engine is cold ;
4. Hesitation (engine response delay when throttle is fully depressed) in first gear whether the engine is cold or warm;
5. Judder in first and second gears when cold; and
6. Judder in gears 1, 2 and/or 3 whether the engine is cold or warm.
I'd be careful using the word "resolved" here. It was supposedly "resolved" on my car but I can confirm it most definitely was/is not. I think it depends on the severity of the original issue (on a per-car basis). From other threads that's certainly the trend.

#9 ·
twist said:
I'd be careful using the word "resolved" here. It was supposedly "resolved" on my car but I can confirm it most definitely was/is not. I think it depends on the severity of the original issue (on a per-car basis). From other threads that's certainly the trend.
Absolutely agree (which is why it was a question not a statement :D ).

I'm doing my best to be positive though out of respect for owners whose cars are afflicted but who remain hopeful.

#11 ·
Potsy said:
Mine is in for service next week, I assume they will do any updates automatically but will ask anyway.

Slight cold engine hesitation for a minute or so, then is fine.
Sorry if this sounds silly but when you guys say "hesitation", do you mean you put your foot down and there's no power for a short time?

#12 ·
Yes I suppose so, when setting off first thing in the morning or coming home from work in the evening.

Haven't tried 'putting my foot down' as such due to there not being room in the car park, but the slow speed manoeuvres during that time are very jerky.

By the time I get out onto the road it drives as I would expect, foot down and all is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.