Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Review

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mackemsteve 
#1 ·
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Grille

Quick, and not altogether unbiased, review of my car.
  • 1.0 Engine
    Plenty powerful enough for me. It's no rocket, obviously, but it doesn't struggle with the kind of driving I do. I've been on hilly motorways & country roads and it handles them all fine without having to "work the gears" or "flog the engine". I got 52mph on a 32 mile trip on undulating motorway with the ACC set at 75 but in reality just keeping up with traffic
  • ACC
    Love it, one of the features I really wanted. Makes my commute really relaxing and I've found that the closest setting is good, not TOO close (ie safe) but also not stupidly far away. I've noticed that unlike the normal CC on my previous car, if you're coming down a big hill it actually brakes rather than just use engine braking and end up over your set speed. Great.
  • Lane Assist
    Good, but not superb. On a steady curve it sometimes lets the wheel touch or marginally cross the white line before bringing you back. Of course it's just meant as a failsafe and not true "self steering", in that respect it's good, and its little inputs do make for a more relaxing ride, I find.
  • Park Assist
    Brilliant. Only got it because the cheap price made it a no brainer. Parks perfectly every time, better than I can manage. Far from a gimmick, I'll be using it often. The camera and parking sensors are superb too, you really are very aware of all that's around you.
  • Active Info Display
    Wouldn't be without it, but it's not perfect. Some of the data views have some of the info you want, other views have other info. It would be great to be able to configure exactly what you want, but you can't.
  • Beats Audio
    I got it because the standard audio didn't float my boat. It's far from perfect. It's better than the standard, better also than the standard on my Volvo, but not as good as the Dynaudio on a Golf nor the Bose in my Qashqai. The treble is very scratchy, high female vocal (eg Rihanna) distorts. Solution - turn down the treble, makes it better, but shouldn't need it. Also only 3 channel equalisation, Dynaudio has 5. Bassier songs sound great - White Wedding by Billy Idol is a showstopper. I'd buy it again in the absence of a better alternative.
  • LED Headlights
    I'll never buy a car without LED Headlights again. Game changer. What dark nights have been waiting for.
  • Winter Pack
    It's summer, I'll get back to you.
  • Build Quality
    Superb. Everything looks and feels right. IDGAF (as Dua Lipa would say) about the "hard plastics", I don't drive round caressing the dashboard. The bits that I touch feel great and the whole car looks superb.
  • Android Auto
    Another game changer. Waze is superb on the central display and the interface to Spotify, the phone, messaging, Google assistant is all just great. It's all I hoped it would be.
The end. Loving the car, I just can't stop driving. Any excuse, I'm out there!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Similar feelings with my 1.0 SE. In an earlier post I said I wasn't sure about Park Assist, I meant as in getting used to trusting it. I've settled for being able to point the near side mirror to the kerb which is handy as it would be difficult to judge otherwise, but yes Park Assist would be better!

Same impression as you re Lane Assist, I will personally only use it on longer journeys as a extra safety feature. ACC though I love and really wouldn't do without after having it on the Golf.

Also interior quality is fine and again I like the Android Auto for Google Maps Sat Nav, useful also for seeing where traffic is congested ahead.

Finally, my wife likes the car too, so all good 👍

#5 ·
Positive great review @Mackemsteve, glad that the engine is powerful enough and sounds that android auto is good too!! First VW for us and should be a nice change from Ford! It's just a llllooooonnnggg wait now 🙄😀

#6 ·
Agree on most especially the engine part. Kind of regret that I didn't order the active info display, but couldn't afford to check all the boxes. You mentioned that you also own a qashqai? It was a car I also considered before ordering the T-roc. How does they compare? Are the Qashqai bigger inside and what about the boot? I choose the T-roc for among other things having a better small petrol engine and better infotainment system.

#7 ·
I have had 2 Qashqai's - the interior space doesn't feel any different between the two just the driving position! The boot is bigger in the Qashqai but, for me, I'll only notice the difference when putting cases in the car to go on holiday.

I loved my Qashqai's and love my new T-Roc! You won't be disappointed in either!

Infotainment is way better in T-Roc - in saying that the Qashqai's is perfectly acceptable for what I used it for!

#8 ·
JosieB said:
I have had 2 Qashqai's - the interior space doesn't feel any different between the two just the driving position! The boot is bigger in the Qashqai but, for me, I'll only notice the difference when putting cases in the car to go on holiday.

I loved my Qashqai's and love my new T-Roc! You won't be disappointed in either!

Infotainment is way better in T-Roc - in saying that the Qashqai's is perfectly acceptable for what I used it for!
Thanks for the reply.

#9 ·
Qashqai's boot is quoted as 430L opposed to the T-Rocs 445 and it certainty doesn't seem bigger to me, pretty much equal I'd say. Splitting hairs though. Yes, what swung me towards the t Roc was that I didn't like the 1.2 dig-t engine, plus I liked all the safety kit etc I could get on the t Roc.

#10 ·
In that case it may just be that the floor space on the Qashqai was greater. I'm just going by the number of bags I was able to fit in after food shopping.

I'm also judging it on the top level of the boots which isn't really giving an overall picture!

#11 ·
You're right, volume is determined by three measurements, so the T-Roc may have a higher boot space but less floor area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.