Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Car warranty and corona

13K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
The local vw have just announced they are closed due to corona. My first service is next month. How does this work with warranties if you can't get it done?

#3 ·
T Roo said:
Go to a different dealer :?:
There aren't any more dealers near my location and I am certainly not taking it into the place i bought it from ever again.

#4 ·
Tigermad said:
There aren't any more dealers near my location and I am certainly not taking it into the place i bought it from ever again.
Think we all might have to sit it out until things "normalise". Your health is more important. Keep an eye on your oil level and tyre pressures and hope a vaccine is developed ASAP. ;)

Perhaps email VW HQ and ask them what the solution is or if they can offer more advice about the car maintenance to keep an eye on in these testing times ;) .

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised they have shut them to be honest when it appears they could stay open.

#8 ·
Steve said:
I think at times like this there are more important things to worry about :roll:
Yes there are but getting to my place of work and back is a priority since I'm a key worker and I don't want my car losing its warranty or breaking down.

#9 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about the first service which is, after all nothing more than an oil change - oil will last a while longer, just check the level and keep it topped up (typically longer life oils are used these days anyway). On the question of warranty, these are unprecedented times and there has to be leeway across many things - if in doubt phone or mail VW Customer Services, they should respond even though they will be working from home. Also keep an eye on their website as they may make some sort of announcement there,

#10 ·
Tigermad said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised they have shut them to be honest when it appears they could stay open.
How could they stay open. How are they different to shops for example ?They would still be putting their staff and mechanics and customers at risk.I dont think i would like to be getting in and driving someone else's car or even handling their keys.

#11 ·
Get any advice they give in writing. You'll then be able to show you made reasonable efforts to get warranty servicing done on time. Top yer oil up. Chill. :cool:

#12 ·
Steve said:
Tigermad said:
How could they stay open. How are they different to shops for example ?They would still be putting their staff and mechanics and customers at risk.I dont think i would like to be getting in and driving someone else's car or even handling their keys.
Garages can stay open if they want to.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874732/230320_-_Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf

#13 ·
Tigermad said:
Steve said:
Tigermad said:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874732/230320_-_Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf
Hmm what's the definition for garages though? Do they mean petrol stations? Or do they mean workshops? Or both. I see car showrooms are not allowed to open though. None too clear unfortunately.

Petrol Stations I do know are supposed to stay open. Just not sure about workshop facilities / servicing - no doubt the government will clarify in due course.

#14 ·
Tigermad said:
Steve said:
Tigermad said:

it says on your list that car show rooms MUST close

#15 ·
Steve said:
Tigermad said:
Steve said:

Showrooms yes. Not the garages attached. Garages can still do mots and services

#16 ·
Don't think any T-Roc's have reached MOT age yet, however

Drivers who have an MOT due from Monday 30 March onwards will be granted a six-month extension because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Transport Secretary has announced.
An MOT is a test of a vehicle's safety and roadworthiness - you must have a valid MOT certificate in order to legally drive a car, motorcyle or van. But there are fears that the national lockdown due to coronavirus could make it hard for drivers with MOTs due to get their vehicle tested and keep it on the road.
The Government said today that if the expiry date on your car, motorcycle or van's MOT is on or after Monday 30 March, you DON'T have to get it tested by then.
Instead, it will automatically grant a six-month extension to your current MOT - so for example, if your vehicle's MOT was due to expire on Friday 3 April, it will now run out on 3 October 2020. However, you will still have to keep your car in a roadworthy condition and garages will remain open for those needing repairs.

#17 ·
Tigermad said:
Steve said:
Unless one is a key worker, the advice is Stay at Home, so for non-key workers, you won't need showroom/workshop/petrol stations until the restrictions are relaxed, so no servicing, MOT needed until then. Staying safe and keeping others safe is much more important than any car and we all need to bear that responsibility.

#18 ·
Hawkeye said:
Tigermad said:
Steve said:
Unless one is a key worker, the advice is Stay at Home, so for non-key workers, you won't need showroom/workshop/petrol stations until the restrictions are relaxed, so no servicing, MOT needed until then. Staying safe and keeping others safe is much more important than any car and we all need to bear that responsibility.
Petrol stations can stay open apparently. I am a key worker. I work for a transport company that delivers into the supermarkets.

#20 ·
Hawkeye said:
Tigermad said:
Steve said:
Thumbs up :D

#21 ·
Spain, I have received emails from my dealership stating that VW España has ordered all dealers to close and they have done so.
They also gave an emergency number to contact them in the case of accident or breakdown when they will deal with any problems.
In the case of group dealers then only one of the group's workstations will be designated for emergency repairs for key workers and taxis.
Same for Mercedes.
Can only assume the same directives would come from the same manufacturers for dealers in the UK

#22 ·
My car was due & booked in for it's second service Just over a week ago & it's a VW lease hire car. I managed to get through to the dealers helpline & I stated I was concerned about both the warranty & being in breach of contract for not having it serviced in accordance with the service schedule. I am also a front line NHS nurse so need to use the car daily as my 20 mile commute is not feasible with reduced public transport schedules at the moment.
In short the official VW dealership have spoken to VWUK & they have confirmed in writing that I will not be penalised & they have re booked the car in for the 1st May when they anticipate re opening for business.
I hope the above helps though I'd advise anyone to either contact their dealers helpline ( if they have one), or VWUK customer services & ask for confirmation in writing.

#23 ·
Thanks CJD. My first service isn't due till late May, so hopefully things will have relaxed a bit by then, but your info is encouraging.

#24 ·
Hawkeye said:
Tigermad said:
Steve said:
it says on your list that car showrooms MUST close
<COLOR color="#0080FF">Quite agree, Hawkeye as any car is of no use to anyone when they are DEAD. Wash hands, keep out of the way of anyone or anything. In fact, just hibernate.
</COLOR>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.