Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Key fob battery dead

25K views 40 replies 14 participants last post by  Impala 
#1 ·
Key fob battery died with no warning, only had the car 18 months. Is there supposed to be a low battery warning & if so, how do you turn it on

#2 ·
I am not aware that there is a low battery warning on the key, if it does not work you will only have to replace the battery.
There are already brands that have small hiding places to put the key without a battery and the car works the same

G
#3 ·
I thought I seen somewhere in the user manual a key fob low battery warning would show on the dash but I could be wrong?

Edit :
Had at brief look on the online manual and it only mentions how to replace a key fob battery.

#5 ·
Been through the manual & it looks like there is no low battery warning, as my car is keyless entry & push button start, the key stays in my pocket while using the car.
So I don't even know if the key light flashes as a warning, just have to buy some spare batteries & keep some in the car.

#7 ·
As I stated in another topic (https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1974) ;

On the 2014 Golf (mk7) I had before my T-Roc, when the battery in the key fob needed changing a message came up on the trip computer panel in the centre of the dash when I unlocked the car. I think the message remained for a short time before disappearing. It did this over several days or perhaps even a week or more, so plenty of time to buy & fit a replacement. There was no warning light on the fob and you can miss the message on the dash if not paying attention as I think it disappeared as soon as I switched on the ignition.

My T-Roc fob battery is still OK but I assume it will give a warning similar to the Golf when it needs changing.

Maybe the OP was expecting a flashing led on the key fob and didn't know to look for a message on the dash. If they still have the old battery, perhaps put it back into the fob and check it out.

#8 ·
Pine Man said:
18 months is a good life for keyless.
Remember the Kessy keys now shut off after 15 minutes (or 5 on MY21 cars) of not detecting movement so that could be substantially improving battery life. Just speculating!

If I get 18 months out of mine I'll be happy.

#9 ·
Mine also failed at approx 18 months (about 3 weeks ago) .. I managed to lock the car by removing the cover from the door handle to expose the door lock
BUT - on returning to the car about 4 hours later ( this isn't particularly time sensitive) I couldn't get the key into the lock to gain entry.
I called VW Breakdown who were quite efficient and dispatched a breakdown chappy but I managed to get in after 20 mins so cancelled the callout.
To start the car you need to place the car near to a small key icon on the steering column (where the lock would be

#13 ·
vernerbongo2 said:
Impala said:
Brilliant ... thanks for that :D
Is that a smug I told you so grin :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
No, it's what it says on the tin. Now we can sit back and wait for that to pop up on our cars :eek:

Next you'll be asking how to open the key fob as that isn't in the manual either. Enjoy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#14 ·
Interesting that kessy keys don't seem to trigger the battery warning.

#15 ·
twist said:
Interesting that kessy keys don't seem to trigger the battery warning.
sorry, getting confused now ... vernabongo, you posted a pic of your display showing fob battery low and your signature shows you have a 2018 R-line yet later R-line owners, including myself are not getting the warning :!:
or is keyless entry not standard on R-lines :?: :?: :?: .. something I've always assumed was the case :roll: :roll:

#17 ·
vernerbongo2 said:
Swsgm30 said:
or is keyless entry not standard on R-lines :?: :?: :?: .. something I've always assumed was the case :roll: :roll:
Not standard on any T-Roc, not even the 40k R :lol:
Should have listened a bit more when I was getting mine :roll: :roll: ... in my defence, I was 'given' my R-line as a bit of compensation for a failed SEL order so I just accepted the package I got .. completely satisfied I have to say ;) ;)

#18 ·
Impala said:
Next you'll be asking how to open the key fob as that isn't in the manual either. Enjoy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Errrrr - yes it is.....

Attachments

#19 ·
Thanks, Hawkeye. I guess you didn't get the sarcasm in my post.

So, here's one. Has anyone actually read the manual before starting this thread ... see the Troubleshooting tip below :?

I don't have keyless, but since the manual only shows the one image of the key fob I assume they are both the same apart from the actual key bit and release button (4).

Blue Vehicle Car Hood Font

Attachments

#20 ·
Got the message to replace the key battery just after 1.5 months. The message is displaying in MID when the ignition is turned on and in the vehicle status.

Attachments

#21 ·
sagwal said:
Got the message to replace the key battery just after 1.5 months. The message is displaying in MID when the ignition is turned on and in the vehicle status.
Looking at your signature, there seems a long gap between build and collection dates.

Date of Production 06/12/2019
Collection Date 21/09/2020
A month and a half seems a very short time unless the key fob had been getting used before you got the car. Either that or it was a bad battery or perhaps something to do with ambient temperatures ... I see 25.5 C in your photo.

Was you car pre-owned or a ex-demonstrator or were you the first owner ?

#22 ·
The Volkswagen T-Roc, which was launched in India in March 2020. There is only one variant of T Roc in India. 1,000 units of the T-Roc is allocated for the Indian market. But due to covid car delivery could not be started before July 2020. I booked my car on 31 August 2020 and got it on 21/09/2020.

All four tyres are wearing very fast. I think the car was lying at the yard for around 7-8 months under sun.
Temperature is not an issue.

G
#23 ·
This isn't probably helpful but I'll say it anyway.

For those with kessy, the replace key battery message does appear on your dash/infotainment screen but only when you use your fob to open the car.

Not much use I know :lol: :?

(verified on another forum)

#24 ·
vernerbongo2 said:
I thought I seen somewhere in the user manual a key fob low battery warning would show on the dash but I could be wrong?

Edit :
Had at brief look on the online manual and it only mentions how to replace a key fob battery.
I've had a moan about this on another thread ... the first sign I had that there was a problem with my key fob was when it failed to operate :!: :!:
Whenever we leave the car, my wife and I always lock the car using the key fob and touch the indent on the driver's door handle as the power windows fold (apparently the car is then 'double locked') .. definately no dash warning :evil: :evil:

#25 ·
I just replace the batteries in my remote's every 15-18 months, for what a battery costs I can't be hassled with waiting for it to go flat.

Just one thing I've found of late though - many battery manufacturer's have now started putting a sticky plastic disc on one face of the battery - that's caught a few people out (if reports on other forums are anything to judge it by) so when changing your battery do check.

G
#26 ·
Swsgm30 said:
(apparently the car is then 'double locked')
Your car always dead locks (safelock) locking it the way you do disables the kessy system temporarily ie you can only unlock it first thing with the fob.

Yes from what you're saying if it could it would be saying "replace key battery"
I'm trying to get this verified!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.