Hi folks, am thinking of downsizing from a Tiguan....

New to the Volkswagen T-Roc Forums? Introduce yourself here
AndyFromtheBrac

Hi folks, am thinking of downsizing from a Tiguan....

Post by AndyFromtheBrac » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:36 pm

We (my wife mainly) have a 2nd gen Tiguan which we use as our main car (us two plus a 7 year old) and we really like it, but it's time to change, so.....

Looking at an R-Line with the smaller 1.6TDi engine (as we're almost always around town). I've heard mixed reviews (by people that don't own one!) but we really don't belt around the place so performance isn't an issue. Noise might be?

There are so few competitors for a Tiguan for me, but the T-Roc looks like it could definitely be one. Doesn't seem that much smaller (could argue the sizing difference is almost pointless?) Might be a bit tight in the back for 3 (one being my boys' mahoosive car seat/throne) but in any case we rarely have 5-up anyway.

I'm not a fan of the Q3 and the Q2 looks overpriced. My wife refuses to look at Seat (don't ask!) and the others looks cheap and/or just ugly (can you say Cactus?).There are some really good personal lease deals on the 1.6TDi SCR (and as it's a lease I'm not worried about the demise of diesels). Given our budget could stretch to replacing an SE Nav Tiguan with an R-Line T-Roc it could be worthwhile going a little smaller? (especially with that tft dash :P )

Anyways hopefully I'll contribute a bit more if and when we order one (rather that just lurk and ask questions!)

cheers,

Andy

Willross67

Re: Hi folks, am thinking of downsizing from a Tiguan....

Post by Willross67 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi Andy I think you will like the T Roc just took delivery of a R line for my wife. She put a Audi A1 in for it. We tried the new A1 and a Q2 sport both of us didn’t like the new A1 and like you said Q2 is over priced for what you get in it. We initially ordered a Design model T Roc but we couldn’t get a firm delivery date. So we thought we would look to see if we could find a in stock car with the extras we wanted. The R line ticked all the boxes and I’m so glad we changed as the R line does feel a lot more car than the Design model we test drove in fact I’m going to put my Audi q3 in. I’ve ordered another R Line with all the toys on as I don’t think the new Q3 is worth 10k more. Best of luck hope your wife and your self likes it.
T Roc R-Line 1.5 Evo manual. Pure White Black Roof, Panoramic Roof, keyless Entrey, Side Assist, Electric Boot, Lumber Support, High Beam Assist, Beats Sounds, Rear View Camera :D.

Impala

Post by Impala » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi Andy, and welcome.

You say you are thinking of a 1.6TDI diesel yet confess to most of your driving being around town. There are a few problems with that choice, which you may have already considered and dismissed.

Firstly, you should be aware that modern diesels are fitted with diesel particulate filters (DPF) which require a high operating temperature to burn off the soot (carbon) particles. Such temperatures can generally only be reached on longish runs on open roads and the manufacturers advise that vehicles fitted with DPF are not recommended for mostly urban stop-go use as the filter becomes clogged and will cause engine problems. The advice is that daily mileage should be >20 miles at speeds of 50+ mph. Also, some leasing companies will hold the driver responsible for costs if the driving conditions do not meet their requirements. See this web page for details ... https://www.vehicleconsulting.com/diese ... d-to-know/

The second consideration is that the cost benefits of diesel require a fairly high annual mileage (at least 10,000) and on open roads to get the best fuel economy. Lastly, it is accepted that a diesel engine takes longer to fully warm up and during that time will use more fuel and produce more polution. This may be more evident on urban roads and stop-go driving.

I have obviously chosen a T-Roc as it ticks most of my boxes, is attractive and is big enough for my needs, but my family are grown up and have long since left the nest. I'm not putting the T-Roc down, but you may find the lack of space compared to the Tiguan more significant than you think and somewhat limiting with regards boot capacity and rear seat space as you already mentioned. In my opinion the Tiguan is a lot bigger than the T-Roc, which is why I didn't choose it.

Have you looked at the Skoda Karoq ? It is much roomier than the T-Roc and about mid-way between that and the Tiguan in overall dimensions. It also comes with lots of kit as standard and has the possibility of the varioflex rear seats (3 sections can be individually removed) depending on the trim level. And you can even get the same 1.6TDI engine if you are still keen on that. Prices are probably less than a similar spec T-Roc
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Bellasdad

Post by Bellasdad » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi Andy,
We did exactly what you are thinking about and downsized from a mk2 Tiguan R line to a T roc R line.
We haven’t regretted the decision at all and to be honest the T roc suits our needs perfectly. The technology is very similar to that of the Tiguan and the build quality is excellent.
Although the car is quite a bit smaller, there is still plenty of room in the back and the boot space is very generous, parking is also a doddle.
We thoroughly enjoyed our time with the Tiguan but I cannot fault the T roc in any way.
T-Roc R Line 1.5 manual. White silver with black roof.

AndyFromtheBrac

Post by AndyFromtheBrac » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:26 pm

hey thanks for all the replies, all very thought-provoking

I am desperate to not go down the usual route of choosing a car first and then doing everything possible to convince myself that it is the right car (except that I will)

The space thing I am aware... I honestly feel with just 3 of us that it shouldn't be a big problem. I expect to lose a bit, but we have such a lot right now that we never use. Good to know that others have considered and done this move.

MrsFromTheBrac is a bit of a badge snob... if it's not got a VW or four circles on the front its a tough sell to her :roll:

Re TDi I'm aware of the ideal scenarios, but happy to roll with that as we just lease. I must admit I didn't know there are potential clauses which dictate how you should drive (without some kind of black box I'd be surprised how the lease co would ever know, distance aside?). We lease with VW so I'll go check their T&C's again. At the moment the TDi is the car available with some very good deals which is mainly why I'm considering it. I've been quoted less for an R-Line 1.6 TDi than a Tiguan "Match" - think the only extra we'd add is the colour tbh!

Right so looks like I'd best get the dealer on the case - a downsize is in order, thanks again much obliged :)

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:57 pm

Andy, there is no need for a black box. If your engine starts to run badly due to a clogged DPF filter and you have to get it attended to, that is proof enough that the car hasn't had sufficient distance/high speed runs. The link I posted states the following;
A warning light is usually displayed by vehicles fitted with a DPF. Ignoring the warning can result in serious damage to a car or van and because it will be treated as neglect, the vehicle’s warranty won’t cover the cost of repair. Lease car drivers failing to follow the recommended DPF regeneration process can incur business costs of £1,500 or more and will have to visit a dealership for regeneration to be forced.
I've no idea if that cost is accurate or how common DPF clogging is, and of course VW may be more forgiving if they are both the manufacturer and the leasing company.

Many people manage to 'regenerate' the DPF by taking their car for a high speed motorway run every couple of weeks but I've also heard that some cars automatically enter a 'regeneration' mode and that the engine should not be switched off while this is running, which catches some people out.

Asking VW about the T&Cs of the lease is a good idea and maybe you should also ask the dealer service department for advice based on the type of driving you will be doing. The last thing you want is a large unexpected bill :o
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

T-Rocster

Post by T-Rocster » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:21 pm

Hi Andy,

I've also had a mix, so have experience of other models similar to the T-Roc. Had a first gen Tiguan for 4 years. The T-Roc size is very comparable, better tech in the T-Roc obviously. Build quality is actually slightly better in the Tig, due to the hard plastic dash and door tops in the T-Roc; it does after all sit lower in the range. Annoying, as even the Polo has a soft touch dash. Also, the graphics of the Tiguan are more realistic then T-Roc's AID.

I traded my SQ5 for the T-Roc, as I'd been waiting for the new Q3, but decided the T-Roc was much better value.
1.5 SEL DSG in Indium grey
Electric tailgate
Winter pack
Park assist
Rear view camera
Keyless entry

AndyFromtheBrac

Post by AndyFromtheBrac » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 pm

I think I'm just about set then - colour will be my main issue now! My wife gravitates to white but our 7 year old has said 'no more white cars mummy' lol I don't mind white but would prefer a change. Think the T-Roc suits a lot of colours (much more so than the Tiguan does) I'm thinking Atlantic blue or (much cleaning) Deep Black

The link states additional costs may be incurred due to neglect if the DPF warning light is ignored, which is fair enough.

I'd be surprised if a leasing co could supply a vehicle for 5,000 miles pa (usually the min) and then say you're in breach if you don't exceed that? We tend to be at 8-9k pa with a 70-30% Town/Mway mix so I wouldn't worry at that level.

My California has active regen which sounds a bit alarming when it fires up (my boy thinks we have secret jet engines in there), but it carries on regardless of my ham-fistedness!

Thanks again for all the advice and tips, I'll let you know how I get on :)

davidf27

Post by davidf27 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:45 am

Hi Andy,

Have you thought about a 1.0TSI SEL T-Roc?
This is what I have gone for, the SEL gives pretty much all the same tech as the R-Line except for a few shiny badges here and there.
Also the 1.0 petrol gives the same power as the 1.6 diesel and will be more suitable for the short journeys around town where we barely reach 30mph.
1.0 TSI SEL - Pearl Black - Keyless entry - Rear View Camera - Ordered 19/11/18 - Delivered 15th May 2019 and love it, faultless drive!

AndyFromtheBrac

Post by AndyFromtheBrac » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:32 pm

davidf27 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:45 am
Hi Andy,

Have you thought about a 1.0TSI SEL T-Roc?
Interesting option and I take your point - the only thing would be lead times on the petrols is mahoosive right now (we need ours for Sept) and the 1.6TDi R-Line seems to be the one available (colour is the only thing I'd need to spec).

I shall ask the question tho, thanks for the tip David :)