Petrol Octane used?

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Warrent1

Re: Petrol Octane used?

Post by Warrent1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:59 am

Fyi,

Petrol
Premium Unleaded (95 RON)
This is bog-standard unleaded petrol. Despite the name ‘premium’, it’s actually the standard petrol sold all over Europe.

95 RON refers to the octane level of the petrol. This is a measure of how easily the fuel will ignite inside an engine. Higher octane levels mean that the fuel will not ignite as easily and are required for some (a few) high performance engines.

Premium unleaded is suitable for almost all petrol engines. You should be safe to use it unless your car’s user manual specifically specifies that you should only use petrol with an octane rating higher than 95. Very few cars require this.

Premium unleaded fuel pumps are usually green. Check the label before you fill
T-Roc - R-Line - 1.5 TSI Evo (KANGAROO FREE) - Indium Grey - Black Roof - Removable Tow-bar

Warrent1

Post by Warrent1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:02 am

Also,

Super Unleaded (97/98 RON)
Super unleaded is the highest octane petrol that is widely available in the UK. A higher octane rating means that the fuel will require greater compression (more pressure) to ignite. Some car engines – especially high performance Japanese cars – require the use of super unleaded, while performance cars like Porsches and Ferraris will also tend to use this fuel, although it may not strictly be required.

Super unleaded can be used in any petrol engine but will only provide a beneficial effect in a small minority of engines as most engines are not able to take advantage of the higher octane rating.

Premium Fuels – e.g. Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate
Several fuel manufacturers offer own-branded high performance fuels that claim to offer additional benefits in addition to a higher octane rating. The best known example of premium petrol in the UK is probably Shell V-Power Unleaded. V-Power Unleaded has an octane rating of 99RON, the highest available in the UK.

Shell say that V-Power Unleaded offers three benefits – improved lubrication, cleaning action and higher performance (for engines that can benefit) due to the high octane rating.

Two alternative premium fuels are BP Ultimate Unleaded and Total Excellium Unleaded. These claim to offer similar benefits to V-Power but are only rated at 97RON.

Premium super unleaded petrol fuels can be used in any petrol engine but only some drivers/cars will experience a noticeable improvement in fuel economy or performance.
T-Roc - R-Line - 1.5 TSI Evo (KANGAROO FREE) - Indium Grey - Black Roof - Removable Tow-bar

hikeimperial

Post by hikeimperial » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:50 am

95 octane fuel is perfectly acceptable for VW engines.

Only buy higher if your engine specifically requires it because it runs much hotter and you risk pre-ignition. Something like a ferrari or something quite old.

You are literally wasting your money if you buy anything else. V-Power etc. etc 'better lubrication' is just marketing to sell you more
expensive fuel and get more profit. Just look after your engine with regular services, don't red line it and the engine will be fine.

** Bad Language is NOT acceptable on the forum **
** Edited by Rob **

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:28 am

i somehow doubt that it’s just marketing hype as Trading Standards would be all over the oil companies; plenty of independent reports around that the higher octane fuels have better detergents for keeping engine combustion internals cleaner.

I agree though that 95 octane should be suitable. My original point though was that separate to what is said, and what appears next to the fuel cap, within the handbook it suggests premium; so perhaps a mix-print in the handbook.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Musicegbdf

Post by Musicegbdf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Premium fuels are more than about octane , I did read on the Audi forum some time ago a detailed scientific study of current fuels available . There is the upcoming issue of the increase of ethanol levels . Premium fuels I understand have less ethanol .
Tesco momentum if I recall came second ( to shell v power) .
Of course times are also changing with use of modified Miller cycle engines . The ECU is also clever enough to modify itself allowing for different quality petrol .
I also touched in this subject in the Kangeroo thread.
I will try a search of the Audi forum to see if I can find the study as I found it very interesting . Hopefully others will too .

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:15 pm

Musicegbdf wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:03 pm
Premium fuels are more than about octane , I did read on the Audi forum some time ago a detailed scientific study of current fuels available . There is the upcoming issue of the increase of ethanol levels . Premium fuels I understand have less ethanol .
Tesco momentum if I recall came second ( to shell v power) .
Of course times are also changing with use of modified Miller cycle engines . The ECU is also clever enough to modify itself allowing for different quality petrol .
I also touched in this subject in the Kangeroo thread.
I will try a search of the Audi forum to see if I can find the study as I found it very interesting . Hopefully others will too .
This thread perhaps on Audi-Sport (the second entry has links to other threads on fuel types)?

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/f ... st-3391240
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Musicegbdf

Post by Musicegbdf » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:53 pm

Think it was via audi sport , can’t find it now but interesting article .
There were several threads , but have not found the link yet .

JAMCT

Post by JAMCT » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:20 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:41 am
Out of interest, what octane rating are people running your (petrol) T-ROC on? Reading through the manual for my 2.0 TSi, it suggests Premium Fuel is used - so 98/99 octane in the UK. Bit surprised, as it isn't exactly a performance engine per se, but is this the same for the 1.5 and 1.0?

Personally I prefer the higher octane fuels anyway as they have added detergents to keep the engine cleaner, so I run all my cars and bikes on 98/99 Octane, but I had assumed that the 2.0 engines would be based around 95 octane, not premium.
RON 95 is classified as PREMIUM UNLEADED which is why it is the recommend grade for T-Rocs.

RON 98/99 is SUPER UNLEADED

PREMIUM 'FUELS' are brands such as Shell V-power which is why there is confusion as to which fuel is recommended.

See link:-

https://www.jct600.co.uk/blog/fuel-types-explained/
T-Roc 1.5 TSI Design, (KANGAROO FREE)
Ravenna Blue, Black Roof/Door Mirrors, Silver Roof rails
Ravenna Blue dashpads
LED H'lights/Irregular Hexagon :ugeek: Running Lights
RearView Camera
Park Assist
Electric Tailgate
17" Mayfield Black Alloys

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:41 pm

JAMCT wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:20 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:41 am
Out of interest, what octane rating are people running your (petrol) T-ROC on? Reading through the manual for my 2.0 TSi, it suggests Premium Fuel is used - so 98/99 octane in the UK. Bit surprised, as it isn't exactly a performance engine per se, but is this the same for the 1.5 and 1.0?

Personally I prefer the higher octane fuels anyway as they have added detergents to keep the engine cleaner, so I run all my cars and bikes on 98/99 Octane, but I had assumed that the 2.0 engines would be based around 95 octane, not premium.
RON 95 is classified as PREMIUM UNLEADED which is why it is the recommend grade for T-Rocs.

RON 98/99 is SUPER UNLEADED

PREMIUM 'FUELS' are brands such as Shell V-power which is why there is confusion as to which fuel is recommended.

See link:-

https://www.jct600.co.uk/blog/fuel-types-explained/
Doh! I'm reading "Premium" and in my head thinking "Super".

Thanks @JAMCT for clarifying, appreciated
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Impala

Post by Impala » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:24 pm

Why don't they just put the octane rating in BIG NUMBERS on the pumps rather than this malarky.

Which is best - Unleaded (what it says on lots of pumps), Super Unleaded, Premium Unleaded, Premium Fuels, Premium Super, Super Premium, Ultimate, V-Power, BeesP, Gnats P*** or none of the above. ?

Really, what a load of nonsense :shock: :o :cry: :evil:

Or use a sytem like the energy rating bars for appliances, now used in car showrooms too.

Things were so much easier when we had 2-star, 4-star and 5-star, and you could buy a gallon for 4/11

Anyone who doesn't know what those mean is clearly from a different generation :D :D :D

I need to go as it's past my bed time and I can't find my bed socks. :lol:
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D