All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Clubchamp98

Re: Stop/Start feature..

Post by Clubchamp98 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 pm

BarryF wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:02 pm
Impala wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:18 pm
My DSG certainly restarts the engine when the car in front moves off when I'm not using ACC, but I'm not sure about what happens if ACC is in control as that it something that I seldom ever encounter. I suspect the ACC may be the reason why your engine didn't restart, as the ACC will not automatically resume if you have been stationary for more than a certain time interval.
This is my experience too. If ACC is off the stop/start will automatically restart the engine when the car in front moves off. If ACC is on and the car comes to a halt automatically and the stop/start turns the engine off it will not restart automatically if you're stopped for more than a few seconds.
Mine does ACC on car will come to a halt on its own and shut off engine.
When car in front moves away car restarted and moved away on its own.
That’s how the tech showed me how it works, my mk7 golf is the same.

It seems all the rocks are different but should that be the case?

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:52 pm

Clubchamp98 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 pm
BarryF wrote:
Impala wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:18 pm
My DSG certainly restarts the engine when the car in front moves off when I'm not using ACC, but I'm not sure about what happens if ACC is in control as that it something that I seldom ever encounter. I suspect the ACC may be the reason why your engine didn't restart, as the ACC will not automatically resume if you have been stationary for more than a certain time interval.
This is my experience too. If ACC is off the stop/start will automatically restart the engine when the car in front moves off. If ACC is on and the car comes to a halt automatically and the stop/start turns the engine off it will not restart automatically if you're stopped for more than a few seconds.

Mine does BOTH the above scenario's - it's all a question of timing as in how long you are stopped. Without looking in the manual I can't remember quite how long it is, but within a certain number of seconds (i think 5) the car will re-start and move off; after the number of seconds have passed, then you have to touch the accelerator to start off.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

BarryF

Post by BarryF » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:52 pm
Clubchamp98 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:34 pm
BarryF wrote:

Mine does BOTH the above scenario's - it's all a question of timing as in how long you are stopped. Without looking in the manual I can't remember quite how long it is, but within a certain number of seconds (i think 5) the car will re-start and move off; after the number of seconds have passed, then you have to touch the accelerator to start off.
It does start off on it's own if you've not been stopped long. 5 sounds about right.
Regards,
Barry

1.5 TSI DSG SEL, Indium Grey, Rear View Camera
Ordered : 20/02/19
Stage 2 : 01/03/19
Stage 3 : 11/05/19
Stage 5 : 04/06/19
Stage 6 : 18/06/19
Stage 7 : 21/06/19
Collected : 25/06/19

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Clubchamp98 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:43 am
Newtroconthebloc wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:01 pm
Hi Impala
The engine probably does start with a touch of the wheel but my previous point was that it starts when the vehicle in front moves. This I’m certain of that’s why I gatecrashed your ‘conversation’ with trocsel.
I’ll get them to rename it smart/start/stop!
Checked yesterday and my t roc does start when the car in front moves off. ACC off.
Never noticed as I always turn the dam thing off .
My biggest complaint is the driver has no control over the stop element of it.
Left my start stop on today and one thing I noticed was when you stop behind a driver that leaves a huge gap between them and the car in front.
As soon as I stopped they decide to edge up to the car in front and my engine restarts and then won’t shut down again.
Why do people do this ,.?
It makes traffic jams twice as long.

twist

Post by twist » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:59 am

Clubchamp98 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:51 pm

Left my start stop on today and one thing I noticed was when you stop behind a driver that leaves a huge gap between them and the car in front.
As soon as I stopped they decide to edge up to the car in front and my engine restarts and then won’t shut down again.
Same reason many people refuse to let others join in jammed up motorway merges: they’re numpties that don’t understand the knock-on effect!
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar supports, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Built: 10/06/19
Collected 01/07/19

mvk

Post by mvk » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:11 am

twist wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:59 am
Clubchamp98 wrote:

Same reason many people refuse to let others join in jammed up motorway merges: they’re numpties that don’t understand the knock-on effect!
I was taught to leave a gap between your car and the one in front, and that was by the BSM driving school, the reason is that in the event that the car in front brakes down you have enough room to get out of the line of traffic. If it is your car that is broken it leaves enough room for the mechanic to get to the engine bay. I hate drivers that pull right up to my rear and in some cases, you can't even see their hood/bonnet.
If the traffic queue is, say 25 cars long in front of you, no matter what the gap you are still 25 cars from the junction.
So with that in mind, don't go calling people "NUMPTIES"
1.0 TSI SE Special solid - Pure white

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:49 am

Depending where I am I'd leave a gap of a couple of cars now and then to lighten the use of my clutch and wear and tear.
In other situations I stay tight to stop queue jumpers getting in ;)

"Slightly off topic"
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:46 am

mvk wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:11 am
twist wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:59 am
Clubchamp98 wrote:

I was taught to leave a gap between your car and the one in front, and that was by the BSM driving school, the reason is that in the event that the car in front brakes down you have enough room to get out of the line of traffic. If it is your car that is broken it leaves enough room for the mechanic to get to the engine bay. I hate drivers that pull right up to my rear and in some cases, you can't even see their hood/bonnet.
If the traffic queue is, say 25 cars long in front of you, no matter what the gap you are still 25 cars from the junction.
How much room do you need to get out.?
Six foot maximum!
I am talking about people leaving thirty foot plus .
BSM would not teach you to leave a huge gap ,
Why would you need room for a mechanic as the car in front would just move away.?

twist

Post by twist » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:54 am

mvk wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:11 am

I think you’ve misunderstood me as we’re saying the same thing. I’m saying it’s numpties that *don’t* leave a gap. I always leave a sizable gap.
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar supports, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Built: 10/06/19
Collected 01/07/19

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:29 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:49 am
Depending where I am I'd leave a gap of a couple of cars now and then to lighten the use of my clutch and wear and tear.
In other situations I stay tight to stop queue jumpers getting in ;)

"Slightly off topic"
How does leaving a big gap lighten the wear and tear on your clutch?
If you come to a halt you should be in neutral and handbrake on!