Just Like the Advert - Two Horns

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Bigwheel

Re: Just Like the Advert - Two Horns

Post by Bigwheel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:58 pm

It looks like there's no canbus problem doubling the electric load with the extra horn :)

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:22 pm

Thats correct, there's no problem with any current monitoring systems within the horn circuit. Theres no canbus system involved. I've checked with an OBD scanner and have had no issues or faults recorded up on my system.
It's a basic 15A fuse feeding a standard relay which supplies the horns.
The vehicles computer doesn't know whether there is one horn or two. In fact no one knows but you guys, oh and just maybe the other drivers around me once I hit the horn button !!!
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collected - 29 Apr 19

Sally77

Post by Sally77 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:35 am

AV82, my dad has just bought a new T-Roc and read your post. Can you share the details of the team at Sutton C please. My dad wants to get in touch. Tel no and service manager name would be fab!

Thanks!

Sally

hikeimperial

Post by hikeimperial » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:56 am

Sally77 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:35 am
AV82, my dad has just bought a new T-Roc and read your post. Can you share the details of the team at Sutton C please. My dad wants to get in touch. Tel no and service manager name would be fab!

Thanks!

Sally
If you call VW head office 0800 333 666, when given the options, select the 'phallisch unzureichend' option, it's a little weird they haven't fully translated their german. You need to be really insistent and keep escalating the call and you'll get put through to the 'unsicher' complaints team where they'll try helping you out. If the timescales are too long, I'm sure they have a few a muskulös mechanics that might be willing to fill the shortcomings.

AV82

Post by AV82 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:56 pm

Hi Sally77. If you ring Johnson VW Sutton Coldfield and ask for the Service Manager on 0121 355 1261.
1.5TSI 150ps petrol EVO R-Line 7spd DSG White Silver Black Roof 2018 R-Line signature trim.

Chris1477

Post by Chris1477 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:23 pm

tiger tony wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:01 pm
Kietje wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:28 pm
The horns. The low tone horn is the standard (single) horn. The retainers are both mounted, the wiring isn’t.
The wiring loom was modified in March 2018 to supply just one horn on the N/S only. They completely removed the wiring to the O/S area for a second horn !
Why did VW decide this tho ? ? ?

My chosen solution was to fit a pair of new Hella horns in place of the existing single one.
I simply removed the front N/S fog lamp unit which gave me suitable access to the old "low tone" single horn. There's plenty of room to fit two horns to the existing bracket. I then salvaged an old connector plug from an old horn and used this with some new cable to connect to the two new horns. This connector plug then connects to the original single socket within the wiring loom . Being an electrical engineer it was quite easy for me to do I guess.

The wiring loom is more than capable of supplying the two horns that I chose , as is the fuse within the engine fusebox, so no worries there.

I could have bought a new original "high tone" horn from VW and fitted this along side to the original horn, but the aftermarket Hella ones (from Amazon) were less than a quarter of the price !

The result is nice and loud two tone horn, just as it should be. :D
Tony, Are you able to create the cable and pass me your details, ill obviously pay for the assistance!

KembleSteve

Post by KembleSteve » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:35 pm

Tony, yours looks like the best solution to this VW decision to fit only one, pathetic horn. Just to check, so I don't overload the fuses, which model of Hella horn did you use - would you supply the URL of the supplier please.
Many thanks, Steve

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:50 pm

KembleSteve wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:35 pm
Tony, yours looks like the best solution to this VW decision to fit only one, pathetic horn. Just to check, so I don't overload the fuses, which model of Hella horn did you use - would you supply the URL of the supplier please.
Many thanks, Steve
The horns came from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I just bolted them together and fitted them to the existing single horn bracket on the vehicle once the original horn had been removed.

The existing fuse is 15A which is more than capable of suppling 2 of these horns.
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collected - 29 Apr 19

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:17 pm

Chris1477 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:23 pm
tiger tony wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:01 pm
Kietje wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:28 pm
The horns. The low tone horn is the standard (single) horn. The retainers are both mounted, the wiring isn’t.
The wiring loom was modified in March 2018 to supply just one horn on the N/S only. They completely removed the wiring to the O/S area for a second horn !
Why did VW decide this tho ? ? ?

My chosen solution was to fit a pair of new Hella horns in place of the existing single one.
I simply removed the front N/S fog lamp unit which gave me suitable access to the old "low tone" single horn. There's plenty of room to fit two horns to the existing bracket. I then salvaged an old connector plug from an old horn and used this with some new cable to connect to the two new horns. This connector plug then connects to the original single socket within the wiring loom . Being an electrical engineer it was quite easy for me to do I guess.

The wiring loom is more than capable of supplying the two horns that I chose , as is the fuse within the engine fusebox, so no worries there.

I could have bought a new original "high tone" horn from VW and fitted this along side to the original horn, but the aftermarket Hella ones (from Amazon) were less than a quarter of the price !

The result is nice and loud two tone horn, just as it should be. :D
Tony, Are you able to create the cable and pass me your details, ill obviously pay for the assistance!
I've sent you details in a pm.
Ordered - Sept 18
Collected - 29 Apr 19

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:22 am

Question re the single tone horn, I've not removed the fog lamp yet to have a look, but is it possible to do straight Swap for a lower tone horn, one on say from a Tiguan or Golf without altering the wiring/connections or add a second horn adjacent to the original.
If not I’m thinking of getting a auto electrician to wire in a better quality horn.
Ordered R line 1.5tsi DSG Indium Grey 11/03/19
Built wk 34 and in transit 23/08/19
Arrived at the UK Port. 11/09/19
Due for collection 23/09/19