Battery drain after long term parking.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Redway87

Battery drain after long term parking.

Post by Redway87 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi
Has anyone had any experience of leaving their T-Roc unused for a month and any impact on battery drain?
would it be possible to connect a small dash mounted solar panel?

TIA
1st T-Roc 2018 1.5 Evo Design Energetic Orange rejected / returned due to Kangarooing.
2nd T-Roc 2019 1.0 SEL Iridium Grey.

Impala

Re: Battery drain after long term parking.

Post by Impala » Fri May 17, 2019 3:25 pm

Should not be a problem. Check various things that might be draining ...
are the interior lights off,
does the boot light go off (fold a rear seat down and look into the boot with the lid closed),
are the sun visor mirrors illuminated, and do the lights go off,
if there is a light in the glove box then start a video recording on a mobile phone and put it in the glove box, close the flap, then take ot the phone and playback to see if the light goes off.

Radio/media player should go off when you remove the key, or after a delay if you had switched these on without the key.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

trocsel

Post by trocsel » Fri May 17, 2019 4:17 pm

I presume that the carnet system would still be running in the background as it acts as a tracking device.
2.0 SEL TDI 4MOTION 150PS 6 speed manual
Atlantic Blue Metallic
Sports suspension
Montego Bay 18” alloys
Winter Pack
Removable Towbar
Rear View Camera

brid

Post by brid » Fri May 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Redway87 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:03 pm
Hi
Has anyone had any experience of leaving their T-Roc unused for a month and any impact on battery drain?

TIA
I think that it impossible to completely stop battery drain as there is just too much going on that requires power in small doses.
Have you considered a plugin trickle charger that will maintain the battery without the large amperes of a main charger.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Impala

Post by Impala » Fri May 17, 2019 4:37 pm

brid wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:25 pm
Redway87 wrote:
Hi

TIA
I think that it impossible to completely stop battery drain as there is just too much going on that requires power in small doses.
Have you considered a plugin trickle charger that will maintain the battery without the large amperes of a main charger.
I've gone off on holidays and left my cars at the airport for 3 weeks without any problems. There must surely be a way to turn off CarNet and any other service features.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

brid

Post by brid » Fri May 17, 2019 5:02 pm

Impala wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:37 pm
brid wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:25 pm
Redway87 wrote:
Hi

TIA
I've gone off on holidays and left my cars at the airport for 3 weeks without any problems. There must surely be a way to turn off CarNet and any other service features.
Yes myself included, in an older car l have left it longer than six weeks if the battery is in good condition, however l would not contemplate doing that with my Merc as it would be dodo. Left my keys in for 3 days in error whilst in the garage. Abulutely dead and it took weeks before it got back to normal. Eco stop start never came on for ages.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Fri May 17, 2019 11:03 pm

With modern cars, the electrical systems are designed to minimise any drain on the battery. I left my RSQ3, which at the time was 18 months old, standing for 9 weeks post an operation - started first time.

Realistically, you only need to attach something to maintain the battery if you are going to leave the car for a serious extended period of time. Much will depend on the state of the battery when you lock the car up, e.g. how new the battery is and whether it is fully charged (so worth taking on a long trip to get that full charge into it prior to leaving it parked up) as to then how long the battery may 'last'

Leaving your car locked up for a month shouldn't present a problem.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Redway87

Post by Redway87 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:33 am

Thanks all for advice etc. Hopefully all will be ok as car / battery will only be 6 months old and we will be doing a 100+ mile trip to the airport car park. Reason for asking was our 7 year old motorhome drained flat on our drive whilst on a similar trip, although that was in January.
1st T-Roc 2018 1.5 Evo Design Energetic Orange rejected / returned due to Kangarooing.
2nd T-Roc 2019 1.0 SEL Iridium Grey.

AnnieC

Post by AnnieC » Wed May 29, 2019 4:22 pm

My 6 week old TRoc has had a flat battery so I called out AA - he said there was nothing wrong with the battery, but the car was only left for 10 days. Never had this problem with the Audi I had which was left after I had an operation - that was well over 6 weeks. Dealer is going to check it over tomorrow. Said there had been issues with Varta batteries but not on a TRoc.