Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Hawkeye
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:36 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:45 pm

@brid
You get the compass showing when navigation completes. I get rid of mine by pressing the rocker switch on the RHS of the steering wheel - changes it back to displaying the radio.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

fez74uk
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:47 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by fez74uk » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:33 pm

brid wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 pm
Impala wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:04 pm
Thanks Brid ... glad I'm not alone.

Now that you have got your car, can you keep an eye on your Sat Nav display and let us know if the speed limits ever vanish on European roads in case this is just a UK issue. It doesn't need to be giving route guidance, so it just needs to be switched on.

Interestingly, I found that the speed limits disappear at exactly the same positions when running in Demo Mode so it is possible to test it without even going on a journey. You can select any start and destination locations, but annoyingly the demo runs at the same rate as if you were actually driving. So if you try a route the requires 1 hour then the demo will also take an hour, but thankfully you can end guidance at any time.
This car has sign recognition as a norm and to be honest I have only been in it to collect it, fuel it, change the language to English and get a page on the navigation that tells me it's a navigation help system which I cannot get rid of, will attempt again tomorrow, but no luck so far!!!.
If I can disable the recog then maybe it will revert to the sat system signage as to be honest I don't know what its doing as yet but I feel it will be a long haul.
The dealer ordered the handbook from VW in English and it arrived in Spanish albeit a 2019 version with a lot of supplementary leaflets telling of the system/spec changes. To be honest it doesn't seem much different to 2018 version that we have already.
If I ever get to grips with it I will see what it does. One thing, when on the forecourt after refueling, on restart it did say, no speed sign available so maybe it must have been looking. :shock:
On the road home there was a short delay when the speed limit changed that is why I thought it may have been from the disc. I will try taking it out later for comparison.
I find the owner manual long on waffle and limited on information with depth. Bit blasé.
Hi Brid on your traffic sign recognition on the active info display do you get an audible sound when going over the speed limit or not!
1.5 R Line DSG in Ravenna Blue.
Ordered 11/1/19
Confirmed build date 22/4/19
Notified it was built 15/4/19
In transit 23/4/19
Arrived in the uk 11/5/19
Collected 07/06/19

Impala
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 380 times

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by Impala » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:08 pm

brid wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:19 pm
Impala wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:26 pm
Hi Brid.

I don't have the dynamic Traffic Sign Recognition system (camera based) as it is not even offered as an option on the T-Roc in the UK, but I would assume that it might be included in the 'Assist' systems and if you look in the Car Settings there might be an option to switch it off. I know you can completely turn off Lane Assist.

Just wondering if you could do that and see if the Sat Nav speed limit display is more stable, but probably still not accurate if the actual road limits have recently changed. It would at least confirm that one system is fighting the other.
I have a handy roll of gaffer tape which l am going to cover the camera lol. That will teach it then we see what happens 😁
Looked in the menus as well but cannot find a way. ACC, lane ass, and some others are individual select but not sign recog.
Cannot see a way to get rid of that car compass in the centre either .... Sure it wasn't there when l bought it. Hmmmph😱
Hi Brid,

When you start route navigation, the centre section if the AID displays navigation instructions (L/R turns, roundabout exits, lanes etc.) but when you reach the destination or end the route guidance, the compass is displayed. To change/remove it, use the left and right menu buttons on either side the OK button on the right side of the steering wheel. Repeatedly pressing either L or R will loop through a series of different data that can be displayed, eg Driving Data, Radio, Assist Systems, Phone, Summary etc. Either wait for the display to change, or press OK when on the option you want.

If you select the Driving Data menu option and then use the Up/Down buttons, you can loop through and select various types of data to display, such as Speed, Range, Trip, Consumption etc. and if you select Consumption you can further cycle through Instantaneous or Average (etc ?) by pressing OK, but I think this only works while actually driving. If you select the Summary menu option, it shows the trip duration, distance, average speed and fuel consumption etc. and repeatedly pressing OK will show this data Since Start, Since Refuelling or Long Term.

As you can see, this is a complex multi-level menu and option selection system and the manual comes nowhere close to describing how to use it. You can work through most of it while stationary (may need ignition for some things ?), but some of it may only be available when driving. Even though this is very similar to what was available on my Golf, I am still discovering new things through a try it and see approach.

Regarding the Assist systems de-activation, I suspect you maybe just tried this via the Infotainment Car -> Settings. Another way which may have different options is via the Assist System button (bottom button) on the left side of the steering wheel ? This displays the status of the various Assist systems in the centre area of the instrument panel, and using the Up/Down buttons on the right of the Steering wheel allows you to select and activate/De-activate individual systems ... it might include Traffic Sign Recognition ?

You can display the same Assist system status using the Left/Right menu buttons to scroll through menu options till you get to Assist Systems, then press OK, but using the dedicated button on the left side of the steering wheel is quicker.
Last edited by Impala on Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Rocky1
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:55 pm
Location: France
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by Rocky1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 pm

I can confirm that you can indeed turn off sign recognition in car settings.
If you don’t see this option then you don’t have the recognition option installed.
2.0 TSI, DSG, 190, 4 motion, R line
Techno pack
Winter pack
Pure white
Ordered 8th Feb
Delivered at the dealership 27th March
Pick up on the 6th April
Home safe and sound🏡

User avatar
brid
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:47 pm
Location: Alicante Spain
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by brid » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:02 am

[/quote]

Hi Brid,

When you start route navigation, the centre section if the AID displays navigation instructions (L/R turns, roundabout exits, lanes etc.) but when you reach the destination or end the route guidance, the compass is displayed. To change/remove it, use the left and right menu buttons on either side the OK button on the right side of the steering wheel. Repeatedly pressing either L or R will loop through a series of different data that can be displayed, eg Driving Data, Radio, Assist Systems, Phone, Summary etc. Either wait for the display to change, or press OK when on the option you want.

If you select the Driving Data menu option and then use the Up/Down buttons, you can loop through and select various types of data to display, such as Speed, Range, Trip, Consumption etc. and if you select Consumption you can further cycle through Instantaneous or Average (etc ?) by pressing OK, but I think this only works while actually driving. If you select the Summary menu option, it shows the trip duration, distance, average speed and fuel consumption etc. and repeatedly pressing OK will show this data Since Start, Since Refuelling or Long Term.

As you can see, this is a complex multi-level menu and option selection system and the manual comes nowhere close to describing how to use it. You can work through most of it while stationary (may need ignition for some things ?), but some of it may only be available when driving. Even though this is very similar to what was available on my Golf, I am still discovering new things through a try it and see approach.

Regarding the Assist systems de-activation, I suspect you maybe just tried this via the Infotainment Car -> Settings. Another way which may have different options is via the Assist System button (bottom button) on the left side of the steering wheel ? This displays the status of the various Assist systems in the centre area of the instrument panel, and using the Up/Down buttons on the right of the Steering wheel allows you to select and activate/De-activate individual systems ... it might include Traffic Sign Recognition ?

You can display the same Assist system status using the Left/Right menu buttons to scroll through menu options till you get to Assist Systems, then press OK, but using the dedicated button on the left side of the steering wheel is quicker.
[/quote]

Thanks for guidance Impala, you have now cast me into more deeper depths (and hours in the garage) in yet another attempt to get to grips with this "virtual nightmare". Years ago I wrote bespoke accountancy software for client companies, now it seems I cannot follow the mind of whoever created this software, its a bit like crossword puzzles, you have to get used to the "constructor's" thinking to be successful. First VW for me so new constructors mindset but all this assistance is so welcome. The manuals are inept.
Maybe a new thread called "How to??" would be good where forum members can ask very direct questions with the hope that another forum member has the direct answer without chewing the fat :D
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

User avatar
brid
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:47 pm
Location: Alicante Spain
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by brid » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:04 pm

Impala wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:04 pm
Thanks Brid ... glad I'm not alone.

Now that you have got your car, can you keep an eye on your Sat Nav display and let us know if the speed limits ever vanish on European roads in case this is just a UK issue. It doesn't need to be giving route guidance, so it just needs to be switched on.

Interestingly, I found that the speed limits disappear at exactly the same positions when running in Demo Mode so it is possible to test it without even going on a journey. You can select any start and destination locations, but annoyingly the demo runs at the same rate as if you were actually driving. So if you try a route the requires 1 hour then the demo will also take an hour, but thankfully you can end guidance at any time.
Hi Impala,

I happened across this PDF on the international VW site.
May be of some interest to some (and me) Incidentally, there has been another update dated 17-06-2019.

Found on this site. https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... 994e464a9f

So on to my next question -- In this post you have stated that you have tried various versions of the satnav info for Discover media.
Are you using a new SD card to play about with these files or has one to use the original SD card as supplied with the unit?
If this is the case, are you able to make a back of the original in case something goes Ts up and ….
if you use a completely different SD card what GB's do you use please :D
Life is so full of questions ain't it. Would hate to stick this in the pooter and scrap it through ignorance so ask a man who has done it.
Sure any such info will be useful to many.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Impala
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 380 times

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by Impala » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:58 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on the new software. It is labelled as V11 so I'll download it and give it a try and post my findings in a few days.

VW have a hidden area on their SD cards, so for most people that means you cannot use a generic SD card. With appropriate PC sofware tools, it should be possible to 'read' the hidden area and recreate it on a generic card, but it isn't really necessary.

I just re-use the supplied VW branded SD card, although some people waste their money and buy another one. I create a backup by copying the content of the card on to my PC, then format the card (FAT32) and extract the new data to the card using 7-Zip. The original data can be put back on to the card if required.

I used the same method with my Golf for 5 years and never had any problems.

The card supplied with my T-Roc is 16 GB capacity, while on the Golf it was only 8 GB.

With the expansion in the amount of data and the geographic area covered, it has been suggested that VW struggled to get it all on to a 16GB card, so they initially created multiple versions covering smaller groups of European countries and so with less data. VW and/or the map data supplier then made some 'changes' which allowed the full European map data to fit on the 16 GB cards and it has been suggested that this is the reason for the problems owners are encountering.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

User avatar
brid
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:47 pm
Location: Alicante Spain
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by brid » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:56 am

Impala wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:58 pm
Thanks for the heads-up on the new software. It is labelled as V11 so I'll download it and give it a try and post my findings in a few days.

VW have a hidden area on their SD cards, so for most people that means you cannot use a generic SD card. With appropriate PC sofware tools, it should be possible to 'read' the hidden area and recreate it on a generic card, but it isn't really necessary.

I just re-use the supplied VW branded SD card, although some people waste their money and buy another one. I create a backup by copying the content of the card on to my PC, then format the card (FAT32) and extract the new data to the card using 7-Zip. The original data can be put back on to the card if required.

I used the same method with my Golf for 5 years and never had any problems.

The card supplied with my T-Roc is 16 GB capacity, while on the Golf it was only 8 GB.

With the expansion in the amount of data and the geographic area covered, it has been suggested that VW struggled to get it all on to a 16GB card, so they initially created multiple versions covering smaller groups of European countries and so with less data. VW and/or the map data supplier then made some 'changes' which allowed the full European map data to fit on the 16 GB cards and it has been suggested that this is the reason for the problems owners are encountering.
Many thanks Impala,

Having dug a little deeper I have found that on the VW website I posted earlier there is a bit of software that you can download called.
Volkswagen DiscoverCare V 1.0.4.
This proprietary software allows you to update your existing card or use a 3rd party card. In the 3rd party bit it gives you the chance to choose your model and year to made an automatic download to the new card.
This is my understanding and this is going as far as I can, without a 16gb spare card I cannot test it. :roll:
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Impala
Posts: 1140
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 380 times

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by Impala » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:34 pm

brid wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:56 am
Impala wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:58 pm
Thanks for the heads-up on the new software. It is labelled as V11 so I'll download it and give it a try and post my findings in a few days.

VW have a hidden area on their SD cards, so for most people that means you cannot use a generic SD card. With appropriate PC sofware tools, it should be possible to 'read' the hidden area and recreate it on a generic card, but it isn't really necessary.

I just re-use the supplied VW branded SD card, although some people waste their money and buy another one. I create a backup by copying the content of the card on to my PC, then format the card (FAT32) and extract the new data to the card using 7-Zip. The original data can be put back on to the card if required.

I used the same method with my Golf for 5 years and never had any problems.

The card supplied with my T-Roc is 16 GB capacity, while on the Golf it was only 8 GB.

With the expansion in the amount of data and the geographic area covered, it has been suggested that VW struggled to get it all on to a 16GB card, so they initially created multiple versions covering smaller groups of European countries and so with less data. VW and/or the map data supplier then made some 'changes' which allowed the full European map data to fit on the 16 GB cards and it has been suggested that this is the reason for the problems owners are encountering.
Many thanks Impala,

Having dug a little deeper I have found that on the VW website I posted earlier there is a bit of software that you can download called.
Volkswagen DiscoverCare V 1.0.4.
This proprietary software allows you to update your existing card or use a 3rd party card. In the 3rd party bit it gives you the chance to choose your model and year to made an automatic download to the new card.
This is my understanding and this is going as far as I can, without a 16gb spare card I cannot test it. :roll:
Hi Brid.

I tried the DiscoverCare tool a few weeks ago and was not impressed. It seems to be much slower creating a backup, downloading new data and writing to the SD card. When I tried it, I allowed it to create a backup but when I later tried to restore the back up it incredibly said there was insufficient space on my card. I had to revert to my own process of just copying the files to the card from my PC, which worked perfectly.

As for using a third party card, my understanding is that is only for use with a Discover Pro system. The latter uses an internal disk for map data storage, so the car/unit doesn't come with a VW branded SD card. To update the Discover Pro, you have to first copy the new map data on to an SD card (branded or third party), then insert the card into the slot in the Discover Pro system in the car and then update the internal disk from the card using the Infotainment menus. Once completed, the SD card is removed from the car as it is not used for navigation and its only purpose is for moving the data from your PC to the Discover Pro internal disk.

To confirm this, I will try installing the V11 map data on to a third party SD card then try it in my car. I'm pretty sure I tried this on my Golf and it refused to work with a third party card, so I fully expect the same to happen on the T-Roc. If it doesn't work then it has merely cost me some time :D
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Swsgm30
Posts: 271
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:06 pm
Location: Swansea
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by Swsgm30 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:34 pm

brid wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:04 pm
Impala wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:04 pm
Thanks Brid ... glad I'm not alone.

Now that you have got your car, can you keep an eye on your Sat Nav display and let us know if the speed limits ever vanish on European roads in case this is just a UK issue. It doesn't need to be giving route guidance, so it just needs to be switched on.

Interestingly, I found that the speed limits disappear at exactly the same positions when running in Demo Mode so it is possible to test it without even going on a journey. You can select any start and destination locations, but annoyingly the demo runs at the same rate as if you were actually driving. So if you try a route the requires 1 hour then the demo will also take an hour, but thankfully you can end guidance at any time.
Hi Impala,

I happened across this PDF on the international VW site.
May be of some interest to some (and me)
DiscoverCare-Manual.pdf

Incidentally, there has been another update dated 17-06-2019.

Found on this site. https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... 994e464a9f

So on to my next question -- In this post you have stated that you have tried various versions of the satnav info for Discover media.
Are you using a new SD card to play about with these files or has one to use the original SD card as supplied with the unit?
If this is the case, are you able to make a back of the original in case something goes Ts up and ….
if you use a completely different SD card what GB's do you use please :D
Life is so full of questions ain't it. Would hate to stick this in the pooter and scrap it through ignorance so ask a man who has done it.
Sure any such info will be useful to many.
I don't normally 'chase' updates on these things as I once read ' how many roads within a 10 mile radius of your location do you know have been changed in the last 5 years' .. probably not THAT many :!: :!: But having said that, I wanted to make sure, with just a 2 month old car that I am starting from a good point.
Well done for posting the links .. a real find, you should post them as a stand-alone topic for other members to use. ;) ;)
I checked the version of my maps (found in settings in-car), mine had a code ECE1 2018/19, on completion I checked again and now have the 2019/20 version.
Here's how my journey through PC land unfolded: .. found the process relatively easy with just a couple of stutters ..
the first confusion came when, having downloaded the utility programme, instead of it opening straight up (as I was expecting), went into the 'Downloads' folder on my PC. Once I'd located it and double clicked the '.exe' file everything fell into place, it is quite an easy step-by-step process.
The only other point that I got caught on ( :oops: :oops:) was, when invited to insert my SD card, I had an error message stating that the card was not a VW card .. it was due to the 'lock' slider that is found on the side of all SD cards to prevent deleting or overwriting, once moved to 'unlock' everything was automatic.
The actual operation takes quite some time (making a back up copy to your PC, downloading the new stuff and installing it but I just went for a cuppa :D :D
At least the likelihood of me mistakenly turning into a blind alley in darkest Zagreb should I ever venture there (chosen at random) has been reduced. YOU NEVER KNOW :!: :!: :!:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
1.5 TSI R-Line 150PS EVO
6-speed Manual 5 Door.
Pure White/Black
Winter Pack, Reverse Camera
F/R mudflaps, keyless entry
Delivered - 1st March :D :D :D :D :D

Post Reply