Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Hawkeye

Re: Sat Nav Speed Limit Display Disappears

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:45 pm

@brid
You get the compass showing when navigation completes. I get rid of mine by pressing the rocker switch on the RHS of the steering wheel - changes it back to displaying the radio.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

fez74uk

Post by fez74uk » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:33 pm

brid wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 pm
Impala wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:04 pm
Thanks Brid ... glad I'm not alone.

Now that you have got your car, can you keep an eye on your Sat Nav display and let us know if the speed limits ever vanish on European roads in case this is just a UK issue. It doesn't need to be giving route guidance, so it just needs to be switched on.

Interestingly, I found that the speed limits disappear at exactly the same positions when running in Demo Mode so it is possible to test it without even going on a journey. You can select any start and destination locations, but annoyingly the demo runs at the same rate as if you were actually driving. So if you try a route the requires 1 hour then the demo will also take an hour, but thankfully you can end guidance at any time.
This car has sign recognition as a norm and to be honest I have only been in it to collect it, fuel it, change the language to English and get a page on the navigation that tells me it's a navigation help system which I cannot get rid of, will attempt again tomorrow, but no luck so far!!!.
If I can disable the recog then maybe it will revert to the sat system signage as to be honest I don't know what its doing as yet but I feel it will be a long haul.
The dealer ordered the handbook from VW in English and it arrived in Spanish albeit a 2019 version with a lot of supplementary leaflets telling of the system/spec changes. To be honest it doesn't seem much different to 2018 version that we have already.
If I ever get to grips with it I will see what it does. One thing, when on the forecourt after refueling, on restart it did say, no speed sign available so maybe it must have been looking. :shock:
On the road home there was a short delay when the speed limit changed that is why I thought it may have been from the disc. I will try taking it out later for comparison.
I find the owner manual long on waffle and limited on information with depth. Bit blasé.
Hi Brid on your traffic sign recognition on the active info display do you get an audible sound when going over the speed limit or not!
1.5 R Line DSG in Ravenna Blue.
Ordered 11/1/19
Confirmed build date 22/4/19
Notified it was built 15/4/19
In transit 23/4/19
Arrived in the uk 11/5/19
Collected 07/06/19

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:08 pm

brid wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:19 pm
Impala wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:26 pm
Hi Brid.

I don't have the dynamic Traffic Sign Recognition system (camera based) as it is not even offered as an option on the T-Roc in the UK, but I would assume that it might be included in the 'Assist' systems and if you look in the Car Settings there might be an option to switch it off. I know you can completely turn off Lane Assist.

Just wondering if you could do that and see if the Sat Nav speed limit display is more stable, but probably still not accurate if the actual road limits have recently changed. It would at least confirm that one system is fighting the other.
I have a handy roll of gaffer tape which l am going to cover the camera lol. That will teach it then we see what happens 😁
Looked in the menus as well but cannot find a way. ACC, lane ass, and some others are individual select but not sign recog.
Cannot see a way to get rid of that car compass in the centre either .... Sure it wasn't there when l bought it. Hmmmph😱
Hi Brid,

When you start route navigation, the centre section if the AID displays navigation instructions (L/R turns, roundabout exits, lanes etc.) but when you reach the destination or end the route guidance, the compass is displayed. To change/remove it, use the left and right menu buttons on either side the OK button on the right side of the steering wheel. Repeatedly pressing either L or R will loop through a series of different data that can be displayed, eg Driving Data, Radio, Assist Systems, Phone, Summary etc. Either wait for the display to change, or press OK when on the option you want.

If you select the Driving Data menu option and then use the Up/Down buttons, you can loop through and select various types of data to display, such as Speed, Range, Trip, Consumption etc. and if you select Consumption you can further cycle through Instantaneous or Average (etc ?) by pressing OK, but I think this only works while actually driving. If you select the Summary menu option, it shows the trip duration, distance, average speed and fuel consumption etc. and repeatedly pressing OK will show this data Since Start, Since Refuelling or Long Term.

As you can see, this is a complex multi-level menu and option selection system and the manual comes nowhere close to describing how to use it. You can work through most of it while stationary (may need ignition for some things ?), but some of it may only be available when driving. Even though this is very similar to what was available on my Golf, I am still discovering new things through a try it and see approach.

Regarding the Assist systems de-activation, I suspect you maybe just tried this via the Infotainment Car -> Settings. Another way which may have different options is via the Assist System button (bottom button) on the left side of the steering wheel ? This displays the status of the various Assist systems in the centre area of the instrument panel, and using the Up/Down buttons on the right of the Steering wheel allows you to select and activate/De-activate individual systems ... it might include Traffic Sign Recognition ?

You can display the same Assist system status using the Left/Right menu buttons to scroll through menu options till you get to Assist Systems, then press OK, but using the dedicated button on the left side of the steering wheel is quicker.
Last edited by Impala on Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Rocky1

Post by Rocky1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 pm

I can confirm that you can indeed turn off sign recognition in car settings.
If you don’t see this option then you don’t have the recognition option installed.
2.0 TSI, DSG, 190, 4 motion, R line
Techno pack
Winter pack
Pure white
Ordered 8th Feb
Delivered at the dealership 27th March
Pick up on the 6th April
Home safe and sound🏡

brid

Post by brid » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:02 am

[/quote]

Hi Brid,

When you start route navigation, the centre section if the AID displays navigation instructions (L/R turns, roundabout exits, lanes etc.) but when you reach the destination or end the route guidance, the compass is displayed. To change/remove it, use the left and right menu buttons on either side the OK button on the right side of the steering wheel. Repeatedly pressing either L or R will loop through a series of different data that can be displayed, eg Driving Data, Radio, Assist Systems, Phone, Summary etc. Either wait for the display to change, or press OK when on the option you want.

If you select the Driving Data menu option and then use the Up/Down buttons, you can loop through and select various types of data to display, such as Speed, Range, Trip, Consumption etc. and if you select Consumption you can further cycle through Instantaneous or Average (etc ?) by pressing OK, but I think this only works while actually driving. If you select the Summary menu option, it shows the trip duration, distance, average speed and fuel consumption etc. and repeatedly pressing OK will show this data Since Start, Since Refuelling or Long Term.

As you can see, this is a complex multi-level menu and option selection system and the manual comes nowhere close to describing how to use it. You can work through most of it while stationary (may need ignition for some things ?), but some of it may only be available when driving. Even though this is very similar to what was available on my Golf, I am still discovering new things through a try it and see approach.

Regarding the Assist systems de-activation, I suspect you maybe just tried this via the Infotainment Car -> Settings. Another way which may have different options is via the Assist System button (bottom button) on the left side of the steering wheel ? This displays the status of the various Assist systems in the centre area of the instrument panel, and using the Up/Down buttons on the right of the Steering wheel allows you to select and activate/De-activate individual systems ... it might include Traffic Sign Recognition ?

You can display the same Assist system status using the Left/Right menu buttons to scroll through menu options till you get to Assist Systems, then press OK, but using the dedicated button on the left side of the steering wheel is quicker.
[/quote]

Thanks for guidance Impala, you have now cast me into more deeper depths (and hours in the garage) in yet another attempt to get to grips with this "virtual nightmare". Years ago I wrote bespoke accountancy software for client companies, now it seems I cannot follow the mind of whoever created this software, its a bit like crossword puzzles, you have to get used to the "constructor's" thinking to be successful. First VW for me so new constructors mindset but all this assistance is so welcome. The manuals are inept.
Maybe a new thread called "How to??" would be good where forum members can ask very direct questions with the hope that another forum member has the direct answer without chewing the fat :D
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019