Android Auto as sat nav

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Potsy

Android Auto as sat nav

Post by Potsy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi, have been using the above successfully since I got my T Roc but have a question.

When using either Waze or Google maps, once you turn on your headlights (or they come on automatically) the screen goes into 'night mode' which I do not like.

Is there a way to stop this happening and continue to view as day mode even with the lights on?
T Roc SE
1.5 TSI DSG
Black.

Impala

Re: Android Auto as sat nav

Post by Impala » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 pm

Hi Potsy.

If you have the Discover Media with built in Sat Nav, there is a View touch icon roughly in the middle of the row of icons along the bottom of the screen. Touch that and it pops up a box with various options for ajusting the View and these include the option to set the screen to Day, Night or Automatic.

I'm guessing that you don't have the built in Sat Nav so you need to look for a similar option in Waze. Not being a Wave user, I can't help you there.

However, the Infotainment manual says that there is a similar setting outwith the Sat Nav. According to the instructions in the manual, on the Infotainment screen, select Menu -> Settings -> Screen

Within Screen, the manual describes a [Day/Night] setting with options of Day, Night or Automatic.

My car doesn't have the [Day/Night] setting but that may be because I have the built in Sat Nav and can adjust the View as I described above.

The manual might be totally wrong (no surprise there), but it might be worth checking.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

brid

Post by brid » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:45 pm

Potsy wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Hi, have been using the above successfully since I got my T Roc but have a question.

When using either Waze or Google maps, once you turn on your headlights (or they come on automatically) the screen goes into 'night mode' which I do not like.

Is there a way to stop this happening and continue to view as day mode even with the lights on?
As a nearby subject to this and the dark screen. Is there anyway to know in the active dash by way of a symbol to say the lights are actually on. If for say you had the info turned off, no darkening screen. Uhh.
Noticed this today in a tunnel, wanted confirmation of lights on and could not find anything except the "dark matter".
Bit odd l thought.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:57 pm

brid wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:45 pm
As a nearby subject to this and the dark screen. Is there anyway to know in the active dash by way of a symbol to say the lights are actually on. If for say you had the info turned off, no darkening screen. Uhh.
Noticed this today in a tunnel, wanted confirmation of lights on and could not find anything except the "dark matter".
Bit odd l thought.
When driving through tunnels you can tell your lights are 'on' if you can see where you're going; your lights are off if you can't see where you're going :mrgreen: (sorry brid :D )

1.5 tsi emoo manual | Kangaroo Pack | Mooing Brakes Pack | VW Indifference Pack | https://www.trocforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=266

brid

Post by brid » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:09 am

T Roo wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:57 pm
brid wrote:
Bit odd l thought.
When driving through tunnels you can tell your lights are 'on' if you can see where you're going; your lights are off if you can't see where you're going :mrgreen: (sorry brid :D )
Point taken T Roo. Should have thought of that. Silly me :oops:
Now at the risk of additional comments which I feel will be forthcoming :)
Something for those who are using Android Auto.
If you are navigating and the route is "active and displayed in the info screen" - for those who have Park Assist - are you able to activate the "Park Assist" at the same time.
I find that whilst using the VW Satnav and the route is "active" then you not able to use the Park Assist facility so...…
if you wanted to stop mid route and park the car using the Park Assist then you must "stop" the navigation system before you can use the other. Just seems that there is no overlay of selection, only one or the other.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

RedRoc

Post by RedRoc » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Just a question or many, as I have been thinking of using my phones 'nav' via AndoidAuto. Sorry if they appear daft, but I've never used/linked a phone for navigation - only bluetoothed phone calls.
When say Waze or Google maps is running on car screen via AndroidAuto, can you still listen to the car's radio and/or media (usb stored music) or does it not work with 'nav' running. Do you have to turn the navigation off to listen to radio? Do turn instructions overide the radio and then return to radio?
My previous VW cars that had built in nav could obviously run both at once, but I wondered if this "modern way of doing stuff" could do the same.
Any help will be much appreciated.
T-Roc 1.0 SE Flash Red - it's great ☺

Potsy

Post by Potsy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:02 pm

RedRoc wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:40 pm
Just a question or many, as I have been thinking of using my phones 'nav' via AndoidAuto. Sorry if they appear daft, but I've never used/linked a phone for navigation - only bluetoothed phone calls.
When say Waze or Google maps is running on car screen via AndroidAuto, can you still listen to the car's radio and/or media (usb stored music) or does it not work with 'nav' running. Do you have to turn the navigation off to listen to radio? Do turn instructions overide the radio and then return to radio?
My previous VW cars that had built in nav could obviously run both at once, but I wondered if this "modern way of doing stuff" could do the same.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Not used mine too much but you can definitely listen to the radio whilst navigating, use Spotify instead if you want.

I tend to have mine silent and just follow the map so don't know about the announcements overriding the radio.
T Roc SE
1.5 TSI DSG
Black.

Potsy

Post by Potsy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Impala wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 pm
Hi Potsy.

If you have the Discover Media with built in Sat Nav, there is a View touch icon roughly in the middle of the row of icons along the bottom of the screen. Touch that and it pops up a box with various options for ajusting the View and these include the option to set the screen to Day, Night or Automatic.

I'm guessing that you don't have the built in Sat Nav so you need to look for a similar option in Waze. Not being a Wave user, I can't help you there.

However, the Infotainment manual says that there is a similar setting outwith the Sat Nav. According to the instructions in the manual, on the Infotainment screen, select Menu -> Settings -> Screen

Within Screen, the manual describes a [Day/Night] setting with options of Day, Night or Automatic.

My car doesn't have the [Day/Night] setting but that may be because I have the built in Sat Nav and can adjust the View as I described above.

The manual might be totally wrong (no surprise there), but it might be worth checking.
Thanks for the info Impala, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be the day/night option on either car settings or waze/maps on my car.

Closest I can find is screen brightness on the screen settings page.

Did try putting maps into satellite mode which brightened things up a bit, but there doesn't appear to be my preferred option anywhere of a daytime setting :(
T Roc SE
1.5 TSI DSG
Black.

RedRoc

Post by RedRoc » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:30 pm

Potsy wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Not used mine too much but you can definitely listen to the radio whilst navigating, use Spotify instead if you want.

I tend to have mine silent and just follow the map so don't know about the announcements overriding the radio.
Thanks Potsy, I'll give it a try when I've a bit of time to set it up. If I've problems, I'll start a new thread.
Cheers.

RedRoc

Post by RedRoc » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:46 pm

brid wrote:
Bit odd l thought.
Don't think there is any notification that can be set on active dash. But, when set to 'auto' lights, the headlight symbol around the headlight switch lights up green when 'on'. It's obviously low down and not easy to see but it does show when lights on. Hope this helps.