VW electronic hand brake failure

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Tigermad

Re: VW electronic hand brake failure

Post by Tigermad » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:13 pm

JAMCT wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:55 pm
:?: Assuming a car parked on a slope, engine off, keys removed and electronic handbrake activated, would, in the incident of brake failure, car starting to roll away, the 'City Emergency Braking' and or 'Parking Sensors' detect movement and activate to prevent an actual collision with anything in the cars path, child ,car, wall etc :?:

I ask because some of the electronics of modern cars are so complex and therefore may or may not work depending upon the status of the vehicle, ignition on or off etc.
None of those sensors would work with engine completely off.
Troc Rline Line turmeric yellow/black ordered 11/07/19
Build week confirmed message on 19/07/19
Build week (confirmed) week 35
Status 5a in transit 27/08/19
Status 6 arrived in UK 05/09/19
Status 7 At dealer 11/09/19
Due for collection 19/09/19

Tigermad

Post by Tigermad » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:22 pm

I’m wondering if the auto hold had been turned off. Parking brake has to be done manually in those situations and you might not realise.
Troc Rline Line turmeric yellow/black ordered 11/07/19
Build week confirmed message on 19/07/19
Build week (confirmed) week 35
Status 5a in transit 27/08/19
Status 6 arrived in UK 05/09/19
Status 7 At dealer 11/09/19
Due for collection 19/09/19

JAMCT

Post by JAMCT » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:18 pm

Bigwheel wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:55 pm
Sarahloustanley, so sorry to hear about your several injuries.
Could you please let us know if your gearbox is manual or DSG automatic?
Hi Sarah, hoping you are further along in your recovery.

Depending upon your reply to Bigwheel's question, was 'AUTO HOLD' (hill hold) activated which, when in operation, automatically activates the electronic parking brake, i.e. did both systems fail?.
T-Roc 1.5 TSI Design, (KANGAROO FREE)
Ravenna Blue, Black Roof/Door Mirrors, Silver Roof rails
Ravenna Blue dashpads
LED H'lights/Irregular Hexagon :ugeek: Running Lights
RearView Camera
Park Assist
Electric Tailgate
17" Mayfield Black Alloys

hikeimperial

Post by hikeimperial » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Tigermad wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:07 pm
Now in the Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9877702/m ... ke-failed/
Interesting.
The 43-year-old rushed to reach the parking brake, which she claims appeared to have released itself, and was dragged under the 4x4.
So this incident looks like it occurred whilst OP was exiting her car after parking up.

There are currently over a hundred thousand T-Rocs out there. We are not seeing any noticeable failure rate in the parking brakes. We are not seeing any other news stories.

This is starting to look like OP parked up, didn't secure the vehicle, assuming the E-Brake was holding the vehicle, proceeded to leave the car, car starts to roll, then in the attempt to recover and stop the car, was dragged under the vehicle sustaining her injuries.

It happens, cars unsecured are dangerous, the manual states do not rely on the ebrake function. So far there is nothing to suggest the T-Roc parking brake is faulty. More likely OP had a lapse of judgement on a steep hill, forgot the handbrake, and suffered unfortunate injuries. Her vehicle has likely been examined by VW showing no problems with the handbrakes. I doubt OP has conclusive evidence that she had the handbrake engaged and it failed, which is unlikely as you don't exactly pull your camera out and document that, and it's unlikely it's stored or recoverable in the car computer memory.

There's two things that could have happened here. A serious engineering, manufacturing fault in the cars brake system which was missed by countless quality control processes and manifested randomly. Or someone forgot to secure their vehicle while parked on a slope.

In a court of law OP has to prove she put the brake on and secured the vehicle, VW have likely tested the car and found it non-faulty, and are likely just throwing some lawyers at the case to get it thrown out. Accidents happen.

twist

Post by twist » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:43 pm

hikeimperial wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:22 pm
Tigermad wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:07 pm
Now in the Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9877702/m ... ke-failed/
Interesting.
The 43-year-old rushed to reach the parking brake, which she claims appeared to have released itself, and was dragged under the 4x4.
So this incident looks like it occurred whilst OP was exiting her car after parking up.

There are currently over a hundred thousand T-Rocs out there. We are not seeing any noticeable failure rate in the parking brakes. We are not seeing any other news stories.

This is starting to look like OP parked up, didn't secure the vehicle, assuming the E-Brake was holding the vehicle, proceeded to leave the car, car starts to roll, then in the attempt to recover and stop the car, was dragged under the vehicle sustaining her injuries.

It happens, cars unsecured are dangerous, the manual states do not rely on the ebrake function. So far there is nothing to suggest the T-Roc parking brake is faulty. More likely OP had a lapse of judgement on a steep hill, forgot the handbrake, and suffered unfortunate injuries. Her vehicle has likely been examined by VW showing no problems with the handbrakes. I doubt OP has conclusive evidence that she had the handbrake engaged and it failed, which is unlikely as you don't exactly pull your camera out and document that, and it's unlikely it's stored or recoverable in the car computer memory.

There's two things that could have happened here. A serious engineering, manufacturing fault in the cars brake system which was missed by countless quality control processes and manifested randomly. Or someone forgot to secure their vehicle while parked on a slope.

In a court of law OP has to prove she put the brake on and secured the vehicle, VW have likely tested the car and found it non-faulty, and are likely just throwing some lawyers at the case to get it thrown out. Accidents happen.
As bad as I feel for this lady, I think you’ve hit it bang on. If the car was in Park (or 1st gear if a manual), there’s no way the car would roll away unless the gearbox was faulty or the parking pawl had snapped - both of which would be obvious in an investigation.

I reckon it’s a DSG, she’s forgot to put it in Park and the handbrake failed. Admittedly, I’ve forgot to put it in Park once (luckily the handbrake held it) and now I’m paranoid and triple check every time I park up. It’s arguably partly VW’s fault for removing the key lock in this car that the Golf has, which prevents you from removing the key while not in Park. But still technically driver error.
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar supports, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Built: 10/06/19
Collected 01/07/19

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:12 pm

With respect, I don’t think speculation helps. The only facts known to us are that this lady had some nasty injuries as a result of her experience and that needs to be investigated. Anyway, I’ll stfu now :lol: .

hikeimperial

Post by hikeimperial » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:09 pm

T Roo wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:12 pm
With respect, I don’t think speculation helps.
Says the resident tinfoil kangeroo.

How many pages deep are you into that thread, almost 200?

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 pm

hikeimperial wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:09 pm

That’s kangAroo :roll:
And unlike your trite guesswork, there is an acknowledged problem with the T-Roc. Fact.
But I welcome every opportunity to air my views on the subject so please continue :mrgreen:

jetjaguar99

Post by jetjaguar99 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:44 pm

T Roo wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:20 pm
hikeimperial wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:09 pm

That’s kangAroo :roll:
And unlike your trite guesswork, there is an acknowledged problem with the T-Roc. Fact.
But I welcome every opportunity to air my views on the subject so please continue :mrgreen:
I guess a petulant remark about a spelling error is the only recourse when the truth cuts deep.
T-Roc R-Line 1.5 TSI Manual
+ Deep Black Pearl
+ Lumbar support
+ Rear view cam
+ Beats-audio-pack

- (S1) Ordered 21.07.19
- (S2) With Factory 29.07.19
- (S3) Build Week 37 Confirmed 16.08.19
- (S5a) In Transit/Left Factory 13.09.19

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:24 pm

jetjaguar99 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:44 pm
I guess a petulant remark about a spelling error is the only recourse when the truth cuts deep.
And I guess I'll not be lectured to by you given your track record for resorting to expletives when you cannot respond to posts with decency.

Allow me to refresh your memory. The perfectly reasonable and polite request in the last post of this thread: :viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1293&p=14031#p14031 was met with a foul-mouthed and accusatory response by you which was promptly deleted by the moderator (the only post ever deleted on here for foul language I think) so petulance is too subtle for some eh? :lol:

The only other "deletion" I know of is Bellasdad's sneaky ninja deletion 8-)

And another thing, neither you nor Tigermad have ever owned a T-Roc yet between you you've made getting on for 500 posts; nearly the same as me, but at least I have actual experience of this dud car :oops: .