To fix, or not to fix ... ?

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Grrralph

To fix, or not to fix ... ?

Post by Grrralph » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:45 pm

That was the question I faced .

I have posted on other threads in this forum that I have been lucky with no "roo" problem, though a minor hesitation in low gears when cold that I did not consider to be a problem.

My car was booked in for a warranty repair. The centre wheel hub on one wheel had corroded / blackened completely - a weird problem that mystified the dealership, but that they agreed to replace with no quibble. When I booked in I discussed the whole "roo" issue and mentioned the minor hesitation. They told me that there was a recall on my car for a software update, intended to address this issue. I was reluctant at first, feeling "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but was persuaded.

Anyway guess what? All trace of any hesitation has gone, and the car drives smoother and better than ever. Early days yet as this work was done only one day ago, but looking good.
Grralph - 1.5 DSG SEL in dark oak brown with black roof - winter pack with side assist plus - ordered mid March '18 - arrived in UK 9 November collected 26 November '18.

T Roo

Re: To fix, or not to fix ... ?

Post by T Roo » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:41 am

Grrralph wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:45 pm
That was the question I faced .

I have posted on other threads in this forum that I have been lucky with no "roo" problem, though a minor hesitation in low gears when cold that I did not consider to be a problem.

My car was booked in for a warranty repair. The centre wheel hub on one wheel had corroded / blackened completely - a weird problem that mystified the dealership, but that they agreed to replace with no quibble. When I booked in I discussed the whole "roo" issue and mentioned the minor hesitation. They told me that there was a recall on my car for a software update, intended to address this issue. I was reluctant at first, feeling "if it ain't broke don't fix it", but was persuaded.

Anyway guess what? All trace of any hesitation has gone, and the car drives smoother and better than ever. Early days yet as this work was done only one day ago, but looking good.
Great news, perhaps ;)

Grrralph

Post by Grrralph » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:41 pm

Nine days, several cold starts and 250 miles on, and all is good still
Grralph - 1.5 DSG SEL in dark oak brown with black roof - winter pack with side assist plus - ordered mid March '18 - arrived in UK 9 November collected 26 November '18.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:33 pm

Grrralph wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:41 pm
So it was broken and a year later it's been fixed? It's not the best story in the world but at least it has a happy ending :D .

Grrralph

Post by Grrralph » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:14 am

A fair comment T Roo, but I don't agree. The hesitation I experienced before was no big deal, lasting about 20 seconds or so, and I was perfectly happy, but, there's no doubt the software update has brought an improvement. So was it "broken" before? I would say no, just an improvement of what was already good, but I can understand others taking a different view.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:51 am

To be fair to you G, your capacity for tolerance is admirable. But there are others, as you say, who expect more from something that has cost them £20 grand plus of their hard-earned. It just goes to show how perceptions differ.

For me, a fault is a fault and it shouldn’t take a year to fix it. And the signs are that whilst your variant fix has worked, there are other variants that have not been.

I am glad it’s worked for you. It will be nice when everyone starts posting that theirs are sorted too :)

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:08 pm

Grrralph wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:41 pm
Fingers crossed all remains of hesitation between gears has gone forever.
Ordered R line 1.5tsi DSG Indium Grey 11/03/19
Built wk 34 and in transit 23/08/19
Arrived at the UK Port. 11/09/19
Due for collection 23/09/19

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:26 pm

T Roo wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:51 am
To be fair to you G, your capacity for tolerance is admirable. But there are others, as you say, who expect more from something that has cost them £20 grand plus of their hard-earned. It just goes to show how perceptions differ.

For me, a fault is a fault and it shouldn’t take a year to fix it. And the signs are that whilst your variant fix has worked, there are other variants that have not been.

I am glad it’s worked for you. It will be nice when everyone starts posting that theirs are sorted too :)
To be fair if he didn’t report it as a problem they can’t fix it .
Saying it took a year is not correct it took from when he reported it.
Same day really.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:48 pm

Clubchamp98 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:26 pm
Same day really.
True, but with respect I was making a wider point. Grrralph has reported that one car seems to have been fixed which is promising but a variety of hesitation/judder/flat spot issues remain as yet to be resolved.

Unlike Grrralph, there are owners who feel any fault not repaired within approx 2 years (and counting) of buying a new car is a "big deal", even though Grrralph is more forgiving.

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:24 pm

T Roo wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:48 pm
Clubchamp98 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:26 pm
Same day really.
True, but with respect I was making a wider point. Grrralph has reported that one car seems to have been fixed which is promising but a variety of hesitation/judder/flat spot issues remain as yet to be resolved.

Unlike Grrralph, there are owners who feel any fault not repaired within approx 2 years (and counting) of buying a new car is a "big deal", even though Grrralph is more forgiving.
Absolutely agree I was just commenting on this one incident.
I have said in the past “ any car maker that can’t fix its own new cars is posh poor”.