Front assist logo with hourglass

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Post Reply
Tigermad
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Front assist logo with hourglass

Post by Tigermad » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi. Does anyone know why the front assist logo on the dashboard has the hourglass by it? I’ve tried to google it and it doesn’t mention it in the manual. It’s the white one at the top next to the driver profile. Thanks.

22D28128-7791-48FF-90A6-5CCCF8E580F4.jpeg

Troc Rline Line turmeric yellow/black ordered 11/07/19
Build week confirmed message on 19/07/19
Build week (confirmed) week 35
Status 5a in transit 27/08/19
Status 6 arrived in UK 05/09/19
Status 7 At dealer 11/09/19
Due for collection 19/09/19

Hawkeye
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:36 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 232 times

Re: Front assist logo with hourglass

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:51 pm

Hmm, that's a new one on me.

The only (possible?) reference I can find within the manual reads as follows:

Operating the area monitoring system (Front Assist)
First read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings⇒
Introduction
Front Assist and the advance warning (in some countries) are automatically switched on when you switch on the ignition.
However, the system is not available or its functions are restricted for a period of around 30 seconds (also longer, depending on the driving situation).
Volkswagen recommends that Front Assist and also the distance and advance warnings are switched on at all times. Exceptions ⇒ Limits of Front Assist .

I'm wondering if there is an issue with your Front Assist and the hourglass is what they refer to as "restricted for a period of around 30 seconds".

Question for the dealer I think for a definitive answer
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Tigermad
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Front assist logo with hourglass

Post by Tigermad » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:57 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:51 pm
Hmm, that's a new one on me.

The only (possible?) reference I can find within the manual reads as follows:

Operating the area monitoring system (Front Assist)
First read and observe the introductory information and safety warnings⇒
Introduction
Front Assist and the advance warning (in some countries) are automatically switched on when you switch on the ignition.
However, the system is not available or its functions are restricted for a period of around 30 seconds (also longer, depending on the driving situation).
Volkswagen recommends that Front Assist and also the distance and advance warnings are switched on at all times. Exceptions ⇒ Limits of Front Assist .

I'm wondering if there is an issue with your Front Assist and the hourglass is what they refer to as "restricted for a period of around 30 seconds".

Question for the dealer I think for a definitive answer
Thanks for the reply. It was raining a bit last night when I first noticed it. It may have been there a while even in dry conditions. I have just gone out to the car for a test and it’s soaking wet so not good conditions. Maybe it’s when the front assist gets wet? I would have thought it would just stay not available though.
Troc Rline Line turmeric yellow/black ordered 11/07/19
Build week confirmed message on 19/07/19
Build week (confirmed) week 35
Status 5a in transit 27/08/19
Status 6 arrived in UK 05/09/19
Status 7 At dealer 11/09/19
Due for collection 19/09/19

Tigermad
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Front assist logo with hourglass

Post by Tigermad » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Well the Garage are non the wiser. I have even found the logo is in the Dutch manual. When I changed to eco move this morning the logo went away.

BB29A1DB-CCDB-4F3A-B3A1-3E4A18D0563C.jpeg

Troc Rline Line turmeric yellow/black ordered 11/07/19
Build week confirmed message on 19/07/19
Build week (confirmed) week 35
Status 5a in transit 27/08/19
Status 6 arrived in UK 05/09/19
Status 7 At dealer 11/09/19
Due for collection 19/09/19

Hawkeye
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:36 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 232 times

Re: Front assist logo with hourglass

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:56 pm

Well found!!!
Translated that reads as

"Immediately after starting the car or after the system has been restarted, Front Assist is not available or only available to a limited extent. During this time, the indicator lamp lights up on the display in the instrument panel"

Which sounds similar to what I found in the UK manual, just in the UK version its none too clear!
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Tigermad
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Front assist logo with hourglass

Post by Tigermad » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:56 pm
Well found!!!
Translated that reads as

"Immediately after starting the car or after the system has been restarted, Front Assist is not available or only available to a limited extent. During this time, the indicator lamp lights up on the display in the instrument panel"

Which sounds similar to what I found in the UK manual, just in the UK version its none too clear!
Ta. Well it wasn’t me that actually found it. A kind lady showed me on a troc Facebook page :-)
I still don’t understand why they get the pics in Holland and we get nothing.
Troc Rline Line turmeric yellow/black ordered 11/07/19
Build week confirmed message on 19/07/19
Build week (confirmed) week 35
Status 5a in transit 27/08/19
Status 6 arrived in UK 05/09/19
Status 7 At dealer 11/09/19
Due for collection 19/09/19

User avatar
tiger tony
Posts: 113
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:14 pm
Location: oxfordshire
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Front assist logo with hourglass

Post by tiger tony » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:22 pm

The Front Assist is controlled by the Proximity Sensor (radar) immediately behind the large front 'VW' badge on the grille, and also other sensors behind the front bumper.

Just a thought - but I hope your recent 'Ceramic Coating' application hasn't been applied to this badge, and the stuff has leaked around the back of it and affected the sensor operation !

I know it doesn't take much to upset the operation of this sensor - even continuous heavy rain or a scratched badge can restrict its operation .
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collected - 29 Apr 19

Tigermad
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Front assist logo with hourglass

Post by Tigermad » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:27 pm

tiger tony wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:22 pm
The Front Assist is controlled by the Proximity Sensor (radar) immediately behind the large front 'VW' badge on the grille, and also other sensors behind the front bumper.

Just a thought - but I hope your recent 'Ceramic Coating' application hasn't been applied to this badge, and the stuff has leaked around the back of it and affected the sensor operation !

I know it doesn't take much to upset the operation of this sensor - even continuous heavy rain or a scratched badge can restrict its operation .
Hi. I doubt they would have put that much coating on it. It was doing it when the car was dripping wet. Will have to check later on as long as it doesn’t rain.

Plus the lane assist and other stuff seem to be working. In fact the system is. It’s just the icon.
Troc Rline Line turmeric yellow/black ordered 11/07/19
Build week confirmed message on 19/07/19
Build week (confirmed) week 35
Status 5a in transit 27/08/19
Status 6 arrived in UK 05/09/19
Status 7 At dealer 11/09/19
Due for collection 19/09/19

Tigermad
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:55 pm
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Front assist logo with hourglass

Post by Tigermad » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Good news! The online manual is out of date i was looking at and the logo is in the hard copy. Didn’t think of checking. It will stay on when not moving and go out when moving unless it is impaired like raining or snow etc. So the 2 times I tried last night once I was sitting on the drive and this morning the car was dripping wet. All working as expected now and the logo goes out.

It’s obviously a new symbol on newer Trocs because it’s even listed in the instrument cluster section. Wonder what else is different

Edit: well that will teach me not to read the brochures. Just noticed there is also a separate supplement for the front assist. Done things have changed even from the newest manual. Looks like I’m the first one on here to see all this new info.

D1884AF5-A0DA-4A15-AB24-1249B9193E5B.jpeg

Troc Rline Line turmeric yellow/black ordered 11/07/19
Build week confirmed message on 19/07/19
Build week (confirmed) week 35
Status 5a in transit 27/08/19
Status 6 arrived in UK 05/09/19
Status 7 At dealer 11/09/19
Due for collection 19/09/19

Post Reply