HID/LED headlights retrofit

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
BerideGR

HID/LED headlights retrofit

Post by BerideGR » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Hello Forum, bought a 1.0 TSI this summer in Greece. Due to the irrational and extortionate taxation regime, I had to be “wise” on the equipment selection so no LED/ HID headlights, but normal halogen reflectors instead.

Has anyone retrofitted complete OEM LED headlights and LED DRL/indicators? Do they require coding? I have found this independent company who allegedly can do it but the cost is very high. AND they are still looking for a test vehicle...

https://www.kufatec.com/en/volkswagen/v ... -a11-42220

Should I just forget the whole thing and just see if I can install H7 LED bulbs instead? Opinions please? Thanks.
1.0 TSI, 10.3” Active Display, Car-Net ‘App-Connect, Composition Media Infotainment System with 8” colour touch screen, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking, White.

Hawkeye

Re: HID/LED headlights retrofit

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Coding aside (and I have no idea whether they will need to be coded or not), just the cost of the OEM LED units will not be cheap I would imagine. Plus you have to consider your warranty, as if this is an "unapproved" modification by VW themselves (which I suspect it is) then they (arguably) could void any warranty claims on the car (I had similar "discussions" with them regards fitting a 12v socket in the boot of my Audi as per the factory fit. Not an approved mod said Audi, may void your warranty.

The cheaper option (as you say) would be to fit LED bulbs instead. And then if the car needs to go in for any warranty or other work, just (temporarily) take them out and put the standard globes back in whilst the car is with the dealership - and they'll never know the difference - and it keeps your warranty intact as well
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

hikeimperial

Post by hikeimperial » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:09 pm
The cheaper option (as you say) would be to fit LED bulbs instead. And then if the car needs to go in for any warranty or other work, just (temporarily) take them out and put the standard globes back in whilst the car is with the dealership - and they'll never know the difference - and it keeps your warranty intact as well
How about you don't do this.

It's bad enough getting dazzled by idiots who don't understand their own full beams, it's worst getting dazzled by someone illegally fitting non-conforming bulbs to their car.

twist

Post by twist » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:38 pm

hikeimperial wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:29 pm
Hawkeye wrote:

It's bad enough getting dazzled by idiots who don't understand their own full beams, it's worst getting dazzled by someone illegally fitting non-conforming bulbs to their car.
Or you just buy road-legal LEDs and have your headlights adjusted to make sure they conform to regulations...
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar supports, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Built: 10/06/19
Collected 01/07/19

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:25 pm

hikeimperial wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:29 pm
Hawkeye wrote:

Most of the current LED bulbs now sold reflect the beam pattern of standard globes (early versions I'll agree were mainly "off" and didn't). Recommendation in the UK anyway is to check headlight adjustment if you do fit LED bulbs (and I'm not certain that you are correct in saying they are non-conforming or illegal in the UK - HID's are but not so sure about LED's).

Anyway the car is in Greece and no doubt the laws are different to the UK, fitting LED bulbs there may be perfectly acceptable.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

BerideGR

Post by BerideGR » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Thanks everyone, laws in Greece are quite the same when it comes to illegally installed LEDs and I would only get new gen LED bulbs which are approved for reflector headlights and then take them to a garage for final adjustment. In the UK auto bulbs direct.co.uk have several options.

However, since there is always the risk of dazzling others, that’s the reason I would accept the cost of upgrading to complete new factory LED headlights as they come OEM. The warranty is something I have not considered but will discuss with the dealer when the time comes, if I do this conversion through them it should be ok. But I read somewhere that coding is required, therefore my question to the open forum.

Like I explained initially, had I specified these LED headlights for an extra 1,200 Euros (or so) when I ordered the car, the total price would have increased by another 5,000 due to higher tax band, meaning 6,200 Euros in total for the option due to the ridiculousness of the car taxation regime. So, even if I pay 1,500 Euros now as aftermarket, it is still worth it.
1.0 TSI, 10.3” Active Display, Car-Net ‘App-Connect, Composition Media Infotainment System with 8” colour touch screen, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) including Front Assist and City Emergency Braking, White.

Bigwheel

Post by Bigwheel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:56 pm

LED headlight is about £800+ each.

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:58 pm

Used headlights on eBay £130 upwards.
Buy one try it and if you can't get sorted sell it?
There's bound to be a lot of coding involved, can the wiring loom even accept an led headlight?
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P