Kangaroo driving

New to the Volkswagen T-Roc Forums? Introduce yourself here
Lors

Kangaroo driving

Post by Lors » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:56 pm

I thought it was just my driving regarding kangaroo . iv had my t roc 10 months and have tbis problem every morning every night.
I have booked ibto my dealer next week but obly today niticed all the orher posts regarding this!

Would taking the auto parking braje and stop start off help? Bot that i shoukd have too.
When i go to pull away it alnost stops then goes again. I hope it doesnt do this when im going out on the the main road!
Getting a bit fed up with that now. It stopped at a roundabout tday also.

vernerbongo2

Re: Kangaroo driving

Post by vernerbongo2 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:49 pm

Start stop, auto handbrake and auto hold off wouldn't make any difference.
Sounds like the kangaroo?
Are you saying you've been driving like this for 10 months? :shock:
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

twist

Post by twist » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:08 pm

I’ll be honest, this sounds more like the grabby/snatchy DSG than the kangaroo.

Have you driven a DSG before? It’s a very different beast from a typical automatic and you need to give it clear direction with your throttle inputs or it will pre-engage gears more often, resulting in what some people can mistake for the kangaroo. The DSG shifts are more noticeable on the T-Roc than on something like a Polo or Golf. Probably due to the extra bounce in the suspension (just my theory).

The kangaroo is a repeated shunt even while giving steady throttle and no DSG change or pre-engage. In my experience, the kangaroo feels like someone tapping your brakes twice a second over a few seconds. The DSG pre-engage is similar but only one shunt. It can be quite forceful though. Essentially it moves into position so quick that it creates a negative force that you feel - most noticeable with 1st and 2nd.
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar supports, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Built: 10/06/19
Collected 01/07/19

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Lors wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:56 pm
I thought it was just my driving regarding kangaroo . iv had my t roc 10 months and have tbis problem every morning every night.
I have booked ibto my dealer next week but obly today niticed all the orher posts regarding this!

Would taking the auto parking braje and stop start off help? Bot that i shoukd have too.
When i go to pull away it alnost stops then goes again. I hope it doesnt do this when im going out on the the main road!
Getting a bit fed up with that now. It stopped at a roundabout tday also.
The "kangaroo" is an umbrella term used by T-Roc owners to describe several variants of hesitation, judder or flat spot. Your description is of typical symptoms (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=266). You do not have a problem with your driving and turning off the auto-brake and/or start-stop will not help as vernerbongo2 has said. The car (especially the 1.5 manual) has a known fault that VW haven't yet successfully fixed (but take into account what twist has said if your car is DSG).

See what happens at your dealer next week. You can reject your car if it isn't fixed. Many owners already have.

twist

Post by twist » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:57 am

T Roo wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:10 pm
The "kangaroo" is an umbrella term used by T-Roc owners to describe several variants of hesitation, judder or flat spot. Your description is of typical symptoms (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=266). You do not have a problem with your driving and turning off the auto-brake and/or start-stop will not help as vernerbongo2 has said. The car (especially the 1.5 manual) has a known fault that VW haven't yet successfully fixed (but take into account what twist has said if your car is DSG).

See what happens at your dealer next week. You can reject your car if it isn't fixed. Many owners already have.
You’re absolutely right, I completely forgot about the hesitation component of the problem (because mine has so far never suffered it).

Perhaps my post is a little irrelevant in that case!

I was just adding the info because the T-Roc’s DSG is not the smoothest of transmissions in lower gears so people should know that their car may not be faulty and in some respects it could be their driving style or simply the DSG’s somewhat wild behavior. But yeah, probably best to take it to the dealership anyway to be sure!
Park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar supports, “chilly bum” pack
Collected 01/07/19

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:05 am

twist wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:57 am
You’re absolutely right, I completely forgot about the hesitation component of the problem (because mine has so far never suffered it).

Perhaps my post is a little irrelevant in that case!

I was just adding the info because the T-Roc’s DSG is not the smoothest of transmissions in lower gears so people should know that their car may not be faulty and in some respects it could be their driving style or simply the DSG’s somewhat wild behavior. But yeah, probably best to take it to the dealership anyway to be sure!
I see our posts as complementary twist. Owners are getting information from different perspectives and it should help them identify the variant that’s affecting their car and be better placed to discuss it with their dealers.

Forewarned is forearmed :)

Barnaclebob

Post by Barnaclebob » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:22 pm

Twist wrote:
Have you driven a DSG before? It’s a very different beast from a typical automatic and you need to give it clear direction with your throttle inputs or it will pre-engage gears more often, resulting in what some people can mistake for the kangaroo. The DSG shifts are more noticeable on the T-Roc than on something like a Polo or Golf. Probably due to the extra bounce in the suspension (just my theory).

Twist, from the above I can only assume that you haven’t got a good one...
We’ve had three other Volkswagens with the DSG box (Eos, Golf Plus, Tiguan) and now the T-Roc. I’m happy to say that all have performed faultlessly. It was because of our experience with the VW DSG that we went with the T-Roc when we decided to down-size from the Tiguan.
Our present T-Roc is as smooth as silk. With the minimum input on the accelerator the DSG changes up almost imperceptibly - only noticeable by observing the gear indicator on the dash. Alternatively, if you want to press on, you can be heavier on the accelerator and it responds accordingly - smoothly.
I’m very happy with the VW DSG and rate it very highly (even in the T-Roc) and this is after three BMWs (520i Touring, 530d Touring, 320d Saloon) all with automatic gearboxes.
Hopefully VW will come up with a fix for you, and others with a similar experience.
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI Eco, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

twist

Post by twist » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:08 pm

Barnaclebob wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:22 pm
Twist, from the above I can only assume that you haven’t got a good one...
We’ve had three other Volkswagens with the DSG box (Eos, Golf Plus, Tiguan) and now the T-Roc. I’m happy to say that all have performed faultlessly. It was because of our experience with the VW DSG that we went with the T-Roc when we decided to down-size from the Tiguan.
Our present T-Roc is as smooth as silk. With the minimum input on the accelerator the DSG changes up almost imperceptibly - only noticeable by observing the gear indicator on the dash. Alternatively, if you want to press on, you can be heavier on the accelerator and it responds accordingly - smoothly.
I’m very happy with the VW DSG and rate it very highly (even in the T-Roc) and this is after three BMWs (520i Touring, 530d Touring, 320d Saloon) all with automatic gearboxes.
Hopefully VW will come up with a fix for you, and others with a similar experience.
In all honesty, the latest software update did smooth out the DSG for me somewhat but it’s definitely somewhat characteristic of a DSG to be a bit jerky, particularly in the cold. Are you sure you’re not just really, really good at driving one? :lol: My Golf had the same DSG and it was a jerky too, particularly in stop/start traffic.

Do you not find that if you slow for speed bumps and then accelerate that you get a bit of an awkward shunt? I have a habit of taking speed bumps at a crawl (sometimes DSG will go into 1st) so that could have something to do with it. Just paranoid about wrecking the suspension. You wouldn’t want to hear the profanity in my car whenever I hit a stealth pothole...
Collected 01/07/19

Barnaclebob

Post by Barnaclebob » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Twist, I can’t say that I’m good at driving a DSG car however I don’t speed from one speed bump to the next so have no need to accelerate... Believe me, there are loads of speed bumps in and around where we live... Most of them are situated in housing estates as “traffic calming measures” to enforce 20 mph speed limits. I find keeping to the 20 mph speed limit the SEL takes them easily. I know it wouldn’t be so comfortable in an R-Line as we also have a High Up on 40 profile tyres and lowered sports suspension - not good.
No, I still find the DSG a lot smoother than any manual gearbox and in no way jerky or subject to an “awkward shunt”...? Or is it just my driving style? I very rarely use much accelerator - leaving the gearbox to to do its thing and accelerate in due course... all smooth with imperceptible changes.
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI Eco, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

twist

Post by twist » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:53 pm

Barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:28 pm
Twist, I can’t say that I’m good at driving a DSG car however I don’t speed from one speed bump to the next so have no need to accelerate... Believe me, there are loads of speed bumps in and around where we live... Most of them are situated in housing estates as “traffic calming measures” to enforce 20 mph speed limits. I find keeping to the 20 mph speed limit the SEL takes them easily. I know it wouldn’t be so comfortable in an R-Line as we also have a High Up on 40 profile tyres and lowered sports suspension - not good.
No, I still find the DSG a lot smoother than any manual gearbox and in no way jerky or subject to an “awkward shunt”...? Or is it just my driving style? I very rarely use much accelerator - leaving the gearbox to to do its thing and accelerate in due course... all smooth with imperceptible changes.
I should have pointed out that the speed bumps where I live are ridiculously raised and smashed up (they're made of brick) and residents have complained since their arrival in 2012, asking for tarmac bumps instead. Taking them at more than 10mph is not advisable, even with decent suspension and tyres so 40 profile tyres and non off-road suspension (like mine) will get knackered repeatedly going over these too fast. That's why I end up ping-ponging between 8mph and 20mph.

I agree: it's very smooth if you're able to just go up and down through the gears as normal like at a traffic light or such, but in stop/start I also find it a bit bumpy. Maybe I'm a bit too aggressive on/off the throttle. I might try driving it like a manual through the estate and see if it makes any difference as it tends to want to go back down to 1st when I slow down, when 2nd would be more than sufficient and that's usually where the jerkiness comes from for me.
Collected 01/07/19