Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Impala

Re: Faulty Automatic Emergency Breaking

Post by Impala » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:37 pm

Doorman_ wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:40 pm
AhhBisto wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:34 pm
I had it happen once when I was stopping at around 20 mph I was getting close to car in front as I usually do trying to fit into passing box and it decided to emergency brake before I got close enough.

Is it possible ot be turned off?
I believe you can however if you have insurance that you have stated you have the ABS in your car - if you turn it off it voids your insurance. Also I have been notified if I’m in an accident and it was turned off; it could also negatively effect the outcome.
I don't think this is anything to do with the ABS system, which basically reduces the risk of wheels locking and the car skidding under hard braking.

The sudden and random hard application of the brakes without the driver touching the pedal sounds to me like the Emergency City or Pedestrian braking, which are part of the Front Assist System, along with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Lane Assist.

It is possible to turn the Front Assist system off without affecting ABS, and let's face it there are probably many cars on our roads which do not have the same fancy (but problem prone) systems. It can be turned off in one of the settings menus, or using the Front Assist button on the left side of the multi-function steering wheel - I think it brings up a list of the systems in the centre section of the instrument cluster, with check boxes against each, just scroll up/down and press OK to set/clear the check box.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:39 pm

Barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:30 pm
Following this thread got me wondering... If the following vehicle was fitted with a dash-cam the police (and the insurance company) would certainly tend to favour the evidence of the device.
Having said that, does anybody know whether such “emergency events” are recorded by the vehicle and can be produced in defence?
That's an interesting thought @Barnaclebob and brings us back to WeConnect (or whatever the latest iteration is) as in theory the system is supposed to "monitor" all systems for "issues" so you can be "advised" even if you think all is well. Arguably I guess its certainly possible, but maybe not something that VW (or any other manufacturer for that reason) would admit to or advertise
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:58 am

Barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:30 pm
Following this thread got me wondering... If the following vehicle was fitted with a dash-cam the police (and the insurance company) would certainly tend to favour the evidence of the device.
Having said that, does anybody know whether such “emergency events” are recorded by the vehicle and can be produced in defence?
Some cars have this stored in the keys Mercedes do .
Not sure the roo has a log .
Could VW dealer put a portable drive on car to record for any incidents.

Doorman_

Post by Doorman_ » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 am

Impala wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:37 pm
Doorman_ wrote:
AhhBisto wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:34 pm
I had it happen once when I was stopping at around 20 mph I was getting close to car in front as I usually do trying to fit into passing box and it decided to emergency brake before I got close enough.

Is it possible ot be turned off?
I believe you can however if you have insurance that you have stated you have the ABS in your car - if you turn it off it voids your insurance. Also I have been notified if I’m in an accident and it was turned off; it could also negatively effect the outcome.
I don't think this is anything to do with the ABS system, which basically reduces the risk of wheels locking and the car skidding under hard braking.

The sudden and random hard application of the brakes without the driver touching the pedal sounds to me like the Emergency City or Pedestrian braking, which are part of the Front Assist System, along with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Lane Assist.

It is possible to turn the Front Assist system off without affecting ABS, and let's face it there are probably many cars on our roads which do not have the same fancy (but problem prone) systems. It can be turned off in one of the settings menus, or using the Front Assist button on the left side of the multi-function steering wheel - I think it brings up a list of the systems in the centre section of the instrument cluster, with check boxes against each, just scroll up/down and press OK to set/clear the check box.
Thank you! However what I don’t understand is that you pay for this system to be in place but it doesn’t work effectively. It happens with my front assist and ACC turned off. As I thought it was to do with the cruise control as you’ve suggested. Unfortunately it still occurs.

Impala

Post by Impala » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Doorman_ wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 am
Impala wrote:
Doorman_ wrote:

Thank you! However what I don’t understand is that you pay for this system to be in place but it doesn’t work effectively. It happens with my front assist and ACC turned off. As I thought it was to do with the cruise control as you’ve suggested. Unfortunately it still occurs.
If the sudden braking still happens with Front Assist and ACC turned off then there must be a fault. Very difficult to convince the dealer, especially if it is infrequent and totally random. I wonder if any dashcams or telematics systems used by insurers would at least record the sudden braking.

Are you sure your car hasn't been fitted with dual controls. When I'm driving, I often see my wife putting her foot on the brake pedal on the passenger side ... thankfully there isn't one there :lol:
Ordered 22/06/18

trocsel

Post by trocsel » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:40 pm

My previous car which was a Golf Mk7, had the emergency braking. One time, I was driving along an urban dual carriageway, when suddenly an empty multi pack of crisps, was blown across in front of my car. The car detected that and it slammed on the brakes. Very unnerving, fortunately no vehicle was behind at the time.
The crisp pack was foil lined, so all I can say is that anything of a fair size is picked up by the emergency assist radar.

On my T-ROC, I did turn up the sensitivity of the front assist but going past parked cars kept on causing the red car symbol to light up on the instrument panel plus the warning beep.
I then turned the sensitivity down again and now no warning going passed parked cars.

Also as yet no flying crisp packets in front of the T-ROC .
2.0 SEL TDI 4MOTION 150PS 6 speed manual
Atlantic Blue Metallic
Sports suspension
Montego Bay 18” alloys
Winter Pack
Removable Towbar
Rear View Camera

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm

Think of all the pheasants that will be spared an early death. :D

But the down side is no road kill for supper :x
Ordered 22/06/18

Doorman_

Post by Doorman_ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:25 pm

trocsel wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:40 pm
My previous car which was a Golf Mk7, had the emergency braking. One time, I was driving along an urban dual carriageway, when suddenly an empty multi pack of crisps, was blown across in front of my car. The car detected that and it slammed on the brakes. Very unnerving, fortunately no vehicle was behind at the time.
The crisp pack was foil lined, so all I can say is that anything of a fair size is picked up by the emergency assist radar.

On my T-ROC, I did turn up the sensitivity of the front assist but going past parked cars kept on causing the red car symbol to light up on the instrument panel plus the warning beep.
I then turned the sensitivity down again and now no warning going passed parked cars.

Also as yet no flying crisp packets in front of the T-ROC .
Thank you for your response,. My worry is that my sensitivity is still turned down to the lowest one according to the dealership. Surely with the sensitivity at a normal setting it shouldn't pick up cars on the otherside of the rode? Makes me wonder if that was taken into consideration when manufacturing the cars. Im a big fan of technology but i feel like this technology has let these cars down massively.

Im also being tasked with driving with the Service Manger from my dealership to see if its a characteristic of my car or basically is it my driving. Which is highly insulting as in all my years of driving i have not had one accident; however i do understand the process of what needs to happen.

In an ideal world i want to hand the keys back and rinse my hands of it. Ive lost all confidence in the car and it has massively effected my confidence in my own driving.

We shall see what happens!

Doorman_

Post by Doorman_ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:28 pm

Impala wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:38 pm
Doorman_ wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 am
Impala wrote:

If the sudden braking still happens with Front Assist and ACC turned off then there must be a fault. Very difficult to convince the dealer, especially if it is infrequent and totally random. I wonder if any dashcams or telematics systems used by insurers would at least record the sudden braking.

Are you sure your car hasn't been fitted with dual controls. When I'm driving, I often see my wife putting her foot on the brake pedal on the passenger side ... thankfully there isn't one there :lol:
Ive tried everything, they have it on CCTV outside their dealership of it breaking randomly but this has been avoided in all correspondence so far. I wish it was that simple, dual controls would explain so much with the random breaking. :lol: Ive looked into decent dashcams and what angers me is that i have to fork out more money to prove my car is inadequate whilst im still paying my financial agreement even though they are not holding up their end of the contract. :roll:

We shall see how this case progresses! Hopefully it has a positive outcome.