Mobile Hotspot / tethering - No Internet

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
brid

Mobile Hotspot / tethering - No Internet

Post by brid » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:13 am

Wife had her phone stolen so a new Android replacement was purchased.

At the top of the info centre we have the little car and a globe. So far I have managed to "light up" the little car with the inverted teardrop icon which I presume is stating that the Hotspot is working. This appears to be the case as there are "ticks" against the WLAN and the phone name on the car and is confirmed as the phone says it is connected to the car.
When I attempt to go into CarNet the message says " Cannot connect to the internet - try again. Endless loop this.
Is there some setting on the car I may be missing which is deeper into the menu?
Anybody any ideas. Her old phone worked fine.
Driving me crazy this and I have not managed to find any thing substancial in the manual.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Hawkeye

Re: Mobile Hotspot / tethering - No Internet

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:55 am

I’m on iPhone rather than Android, so can’t really comment, but from memory doesn’t the Car Net system utilise the plug under the dash? If so, you may want to try resetting that up from scratch, as from memory, I seem to recall some sort of pairing between the phone and the data plug.

Or I may be totally wrong, if I am apologies @brid
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

brid

Post by brid » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:30 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:55 am
I’m on iPhone rather than Android, so can’t really comment, but from memory doesn’t the Car Net system utilise the plug under the dash? If so, you may want to try resetting that up from scratch, as from memory, I seem to recall some sort of pairing between the phone and the data plug.

Or I may be totally wrong, if I am apologies @brid
The data plug is paired and uses a bluetooth connection for We Connect Go and telephone etc. and therefore there is no requirement to connect via the USB other than charging.
CarNet has to use the USB and a hotspot between the phone using the data connection of your mobile phone provider.
I can get the hotspot connection but cannot "wake up" the CarNet app on the car.
Not the best with this tech, humph, humbug. :cry:
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:42 am

I'll try again (having failed abysmally before LOL)

Just looking through the manual @brid and it suggests:

Adjusting settings
First read and observe the introductoryinformation and safety warnings⇒Introduction
Opening the Car-Net settings (online services) menu
Press the MENU Infotainment button.
Tap the Car-Net function button to open the Car-Net main menu.
Touch the Settings function button to open the Car-Net settings (online services) menu.
Function button: effect
WLAN : opens the WLAN settings menu ⇒ Adjusting settings .
Services Management : status display of available Volkswagen Car-Net services. The service groups Guide & Information and Security & Service can be individually activated and deactivated.
Private mode : disable all online services except the emergency call service for the Security & Service services.
Guide & Information : activates/deactivates the Guide & Information services.
Security & Service : activates/deactivates the Security & Service services, except the emergency call service.

Was just looking at the Services Management - You don't have it in Private Mode by any chance?

The only other thought I have is if its a setting on the phone itself preventing it - possibly under the sharing Wi-Fi? I seem to recall that recently some members on here had trouble connecting as the version of the Android software on their phone wasn't supporting the WLAN system and they had to get an update (either to the Infotainment system or their phone - I'd need to do a search on here to jog my memory)

EDIT: This was the thread - around page 4/5 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1267&start=40

So I think it may possibly be the Android version on your wife's phone - maybe check with local dealer
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

brid

Post by brid » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:08 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:42 am
I'll try again (having failed abysmally before LOL)

Just looking through the manual @brid and it suggests:

Adjusting settings
First read and observe the introductoryinformation and safety warnings⇒Introduction
Opening the Car-Net settings (online services) menu
Press the MENU Infotainment button.
Tap the Car-Net function button to open the Car-Net main menu.
Touch the Settings function button to open the Car-Net settings (online services) menu.
Function button: effect
WLAN : opens the WLAN settings menu ⇒ Adjusting settings .
Services Management : status display of available Volkswagen Car-Net services. The service groups Guide & Information and Security & Service can be individually activated and deactivated.
Private mode : disable all online services except the emergency call service for the Security & Service services.
Guide & Information : activates/deactivates the Guide & Information services.
Security & Service : activates/deactivates the Security & Service services, except the emergency call service.

Was just looking at the Services Management - You don't have it in Private Mode by any chance?

The only other thought I have is if its a setting on the phone itself preventing it - possibly under the sharing Wi-Fi? I seem to recall that recently some members on here had trouble connecting as the version of the Android software on their phone wasn't supporting the WLAN system and they had to get an update (either to the Infotainment system or their phone - I'd need to do a search on here to jog my memory)

EDIT: This was the thread - around page 4/5 viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1267&start=40

So I think it may possibly be the Android version on your wife's phone - maybe check with local dealer
I have tried so many permutations that I am now lost.
If you go to "tick" private mode this switches off the 2 settings which are displayed - Guide & Information and Security & Service.
and I then get a notice via We Connect (not the Go version) to say that these have been deactivated (with a time and date) and then the reverse occurs when you untick the Private box. So, unless I am wrong , this is nothing to do with tethering/Hotspot connection as this occurs without any attempt at a Hotspot. Maybe its the car sim via VW internet relay. The sound horn flash lights work, shows closed items, lights mileage, where parked and service and others on this app - no hotspot here just a normal mobile internet connection.

I have tried my phone which used to work and that the same so I think I shall have to call at the dealers for them to sort it.
Unless there is a registration password that I do not have ( as this was done by the dealer) I am making no headway at all.
Many thanks for your input Hawkeye, and for the manual's text and directions to Impala's notes.
Feel the need of factory Reset and to hell with the consequences. :o
Collected 12-06 2019

Impala

Post by Impala » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:37 pm

THe whole CarNet thing is a mess ... too many cooks I suspect. Anyway, some of the functions like Security and Service don't require an external Internet connection (ie a phone) as they use a built-in dedicated SIM that is only accessible to VW. That doesn't provide general Internet access, so other functions such a news feeds, petrol/parking and traffic conditions do not work without a phone (or VW dongle).

The little car icon with the tear-drop I believe is in indication that the car's location is being tracked by GPS. It does not idicate an internet connection. Also, the Globe and WLAN icon can be unlit even with CarNet working, but often they indicate that carNet is not available (a common occurrence).

The first thing you need to check is that the new phone hotspot works with another device, such as a tablet or laptop or even another phone. So you need to confirm that a connected device can open a browser say and load a web page.

If that works, then there is an issue with the interface between the car and the phone. The most likely cause is reported in some other threads on the forum and is to do with a change to Android (v 9 ??) which let's the phone allocate a random IP address for the hotspot. Most client devices can handle this but it seems that the VW Infotainment system requires an IP address that always ends with .1 (dot one).

Last time I look into this, there was no fix/workaround other than using a different phone. I think some phone manufacturers may still assign a fixed IP for the hotspot, but it is not a user configurable setting.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D