Dash Cam

ALA Gap Insurance, Alloy Wheel and Dent Insurance.
davej0355

Dash Cam

Post by davej0355 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:16 am

Hi All - I took elivery of my car this week 1.5 SEL DSG. Overall very happy with the car . I am considering getting a dashcam fitted. I want to ensure minimum intrusion from 'additional' wiring etc. Any suggestions for ones to consider and also best place for it to be fitted in the vehicle to not hinder view or appearance. Thanks DAve

T Roo

Re: Dash Cam

Post by T Roo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:03 am

davej0355 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:16 am
Hi All - I took elivery of my car this week 1.5 SEL DSG. Overall very happy with the car . I am considering getting a dashcam fitted. I want to ensure minimum intrusion from 'additional' wiring etc. Any suggestions for ones to consider and also best place for it to be fitted in the vehicle to not hinder view or appearance. Thanks DAve
Welcome to the forum! Run a forum search for “Dashcam” Dave and it will find the previously discussed posts that may help :D

JAMCT

Post by JAMCT » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:58 pm

davej0355 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:16 am
Nextbase 312GW; 412GW or 512GW supplied and fitted by Halfords are excellent options. My 412GW is located to the left of the rear view mirror with the wiring routed behind the roof lining/window interface and hard-wired behind the lefthand side of the dashboard for an installation cost of £30 ((Sep 2018)

Easy to use Nextbase software downloaded to my desktop PC works well. See one of my dashcam videos edited with the Nextbase software and uploaded to YouTube:

https://youtu.be/Y9HHmCToug0
T-Roc 1.5 TSI Design, (KANGAROO FREE)
Ravenna Blue, Black Roof/Door Mirrors, Silver Roof rails
Ravenna Blue dashpads
LED H'lights/Irregular Hexagon :ugeek: Running Lights
RearView Camera
Park Assist
Electric Tailgate
17" Mayfield Black Alloys

moxi

Post by moxi » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:32 am

I have a Garmin DashCam55 up front and a DashCam45 rear. Magnetic mount is great and I can just tuck the front cam under visor quickly when parking in a shady area. I’ve had a few dashcams and this brand is my favorite due to gps speed cam warnings, voice control and decent 1080p resolution. You can also play back via phone if needed.
The cord it comes with reaches all the way past the front passenger door down the headrest and back under passenger seat. Where I have a permenently plugged in to a 12v hub with extra usb ports for charge cables. The 12v outlet on the shift console turns off when vehicle is off.
1.5 TSI 4M SEL Energetic Orange/Black

Panoptes

Post by Panoptes » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:17 am

I have a BlackVue DR900S-2CH which sits discretely behind the rear view mirror very well. Fitted there it intrudes only a cm or so into the screen area - so not strictly "legal" - but satisfies my OCD for having it central to the vehicle! I see other drivers whizzing about all day with phones, dashcams and all sorts of gadgetry attached to the centre of their screens with, seemingly, no interference by the police so I'm not bothered about the placement of mine.
1.0 TSI SE • Indium Grey • Fogs with cornering • Roof Rails removed
• Ordered 9th May 2019
• Delivered 23 Jan 2020

twist

Post by twist » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:21 am

Panoptes wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:17 am
I have a BlackVue DR900S-2CH which sits discretely behind the rear view mirror very well. Fitted there it intrudes only a cm or so into the screen area - so not strictly "legal" - but satisfies my OCD for having it central to the vehicle! I see other drivers whizzing about all day with phones, dashcams and all sorts of gadgetry attached to the centre of their screens with, seemingly, no interference by the police so I'm not bothered about the placement of mine.
I get the feeling that the police aren’t bothered by some of these rules as long as it’s not causing an issue. Like they may pull you over if you have an iPad attached to your windscreen but a small GPS thing or dashcam is not worth the paperwork.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19
Currently: confirmed build week 9

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:31 pm

twist wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:21 am
Panoptes wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:17 am
I get the feeling that the police aren’t bothered by some of these rules as long as it’s not causing an issue. Like they may pull you over if you have an iPad attached to your windscreen but a small GPS thing or dashcam is not worth the paperwork.
They probably have much worse stuck on their own windscreens, not to mention a few 'offensive weapons' :lol: :lol:

And do they still use radios fixed to their uniform which have a button that has to be pressed by one hand ? :o
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:39 pm

I found on mine it affected the sensor on the mirror and made it go very dark.
Plus it’s illegal if it interferes with your line of vision.
Won’t pass MOT there either.

Panoptes

Post by Panoptes » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:00 am

Impala wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:31 pm
And do they still use radios fixed to their uniform which have a button that has to be pressed by one hand ? :o
Using two-way radio is exempt from the 'use of hand held communications device while driving' laws.

Clubchamp98 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:39 pm
No issues here.
It doesn't. Not really. Far less so than some dangly air freshener or a parking permit attached somewhere on a windscreen. I don't think it's significant enough to have any bearing in an RTI and I'd be willing to fight it in court. Besides, the other guy will have been on his phone, eating chips and listening to Justin Bieber, m'lud. :lol:
I don't think I'll have to worry about that for another three years!
1.0 TSI SE • Indium Grey • Fogs with cornering • Roof Rails removed
• Ordered 9th May 2019
• Delivered 23 Jan 2020

182_blue

Post by 182_blue » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:55 am

Clubchamp98 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:39 pm
Where exactly did you place it to block the sensor!