So about this new theme...

The place to discuss everything else..
Rocadoodledo

Re: So about this new theme...

Post by Rocadoodledo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:34 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:23 pm
I quite like the layout - nice and fresh and modern - but must admit I find the white background a bit harsh on the eyeballs when on the forum for any length of time. Is there anyway you could dim the brightness of the white background Rob, maybe to something like a very pale grey or similar?
My windows 10 desktop computer has a "night light" feature accessed in the display area of settings. Clicking "night light settings" brings up a slider to adjust the amount of blue light that will be emitted from the monitor. Using this feature allows adjustment from white light through increasing shades of sepia. The only disadvantage is that all colours on the screen are affected, so if a photo needs to be viewed in true colour the night light feature needs to be turned off temporarily. This is quickly achieved by clicking the "night light" tile in the notification area in far right corner on the task bar. Clicking again switches it back on.
I use this feature a lot to stop white backgrounds from destroying my retinas.
My Samsung tablet has a similar feature called "reading mode". :)
T-Roc 1.0L Design, Turmeric Yellow/Black
Act Displ, Nav, Dr Modes, R-Camera, Fogs, Pk Ass.
Winter Pk, Silver Rails, Voice Activ, Lumb Sup.
Ordered 21/3/19
St2 : 26/3/19
St3 : 18/10/19
St5a&5b : 13/11/19
St6 : 03/12/19
St7 : 13/12/19
Collected 20/12/19

brid

Post by brid » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:50 am

Rocadoodledo wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:34 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
I quite like the layout - nice and fresh and modern - but must admit I find the white background a bit harsh on the eyeballs when on the forum for any length of time. Is there anyway you could dim the brightness of the white background Rob, maybe to something like a very pale grey or similar?
My windows 10 desktop computer has a "night light" feature accessed in the display area of settings. Clicking "night light settings" brings up a slider to adjust the amount of blue light that will be emitted from the monitor. Using this feature allows adjustment from white light through increasing shades of sepia. The only disadvantage is that all colours on the screen are affected, so if a photo needs to be viewed in true colour the night light feature needs to be turned off temporarily. This is quickly achieved by clicking the "night light" tile in the notification area in far right corner on the task bar. Clicking again switches it back on.
Until this bright starlight from the east is dimmed a bit a quick the "what's new" every couple of days will be enough. Don't really think to constantly change the screen setting is the answer but after 3 minutes I find my eyes "do so protest" :shock:
Progress or change is not always worthwhile. Now we have the proof.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:46 am

Rocadoodledo wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:34 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Thanks - I do use this feature (although have it on the Sunset/Sunrise option based on location), and when it kicks in it does work to make the screen less harsh. However I use a number of sites during the day (others I'm an Admin on), so having to keep swapping the night light on and off just when I now want to look at this site is not really acceptable IMO.

I must say that since the new site has been implemented, whilst I do like the layout and navigation, the white background is making me use it a lot less and like @brid, I've now cut down on when I'm accessing this forum due to the harshness of the background.

@Rob - Is there really nothing that can be done about the harsh white back light on the forum settings? Thanks
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:54 am

Also noticed the theme is slightly different between my mobile phone and tablet, the red isn't easy on the eye :P

sketch-1583405392892.jpg

Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:55 am

Just to update you all.

We have has a phpbb (forum software) update waiting to install for a while but the old theme was no longer updated and wouldn't work. In addition the 'Thanks' plugin was also old and would no longer work.

I am looking to bring this feature back when a new version is released.

As for the white - it should be no different to Google, Facebook, Twitter etc. but I'm happy to look to see if it can be toned down a bit.

Cheers
Rob

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:55 am

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:54 am
Also noticed the theme is slightly different between my mobile phone and tablet, the red isn't easy on the eye :P

sketch-1583405392892.jpg
That's a caching issue. Logo is no longer red.

Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:00 am

OK, I've changed the white background a bit to an off-white / grey. See what you think, may need a hard refresh / cache clear to see it.

Thanks

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:25 am

Rob wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:55 am

That's a caching issue. Logo is no longer red.
Fair enough, I never thought of that making a difference but it did.
I'm happy enough with everything else and also knowing the "Thanks button" will be back.

Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

Troc2018

Post by Troc2018 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:24 pm

To be honest I find it a bit bright
1.5 sel met grey / black roof , panoramic sun roof ,monteygo bay 18 " wheels
Reversing cam ordered 11th June 18 delivered 16 th Nov 18 , 5 months exactly as promised by vw dealer

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:27 pm

Rob wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:00 am
OK, I've changed the white background a bit to an off-white / grey. See what you think, may need a hard refresh / cache clear to see it.

Thanks
That's definitely an improvement on earlier Rob, thanks, the harshness of the white has gone. Thank you!
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19