Bird excrement

The place to discuss everything else..
T Roo

Bird excrement

Post by T Roo » Sat May 16, 2020 11:21 pm

A bird shat on my freshly polished motor. The deposit was there for less than half an hour. On careful removal, I can see an etched stain that just won’t polish out.

The reason for this post is two-fold:

1. To remind members that bird poo contains Uric acid; get it off your car fast

2. To ask members what I can do boo boo! 😭

Apart from buying an air rifle. Grrrrrrr.

RedRoc

Re: Bird excrement

Post by RedRoc » Sun May 17, 2020 12:02 am

Bit late for an air rifle I'm afraid. Plus if it was something like a condor, the damage could have been greater.
Not know what colour you've got but you may be luck with it just being polished.
This is what I do:
Clean with a strongish washing up liquid solution with warm water on a soft cloth, rinse, repeat, rinse and dry. This will remove some of 'acid contamination'. Leave for a day or two then do the same. After a few days give it a good rub with polish/wax.
NOTE With lighter colours this has worked over many years of clearing mess, but on darker colours there is always a stain mark left, modern clear coat v bird poo - only one winner.
Oh for the days of proper cellulose paint and not the current water based sh*te that absorbs everything and repels virtually nothing.
Good luck T Roo.
T-Roc 1.0 SE Flash Red -

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:08 am

T Roo wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:21 pm
A bird shat on my freshly polished motor. The deposit was there for less than half an hour. On careful removal, I can see an etched stain that just won’t polish out.

I had a stain on the boot/bumper lip a while back, T cut it and it went but for some reason came back?
Have since T cut it again and it's gone at the minute and hopefully stays away this time :?
Maybe the now water based paints are easier marked than the old cellulose paints? :roll:
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

Swsgm30

Post by Swsgm30 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:52 am

T Roo wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:21 pm

We get a lot of problems with seagulls as we're near the coast and some kind souls like to put bread out to encourage them ... with obvious results!!
A few years ago I neglected to wash a 'deposit' on a metallic-red Renault (just at the bottom of the A-pillar). when I did eventually clean it off, (by now it had set like cement so required much hot water) it had stripped the paint down to the white primer coat. Lesson learned. :x :x :x
1.5 TSI R-Line 150PS EVO
6-speed Manual
Pure White/Black Roof
Winter Pack, Reverse Camera
F/R mudflaps, keyless entry
Delivered - 1st March 2019
:D :D :D :D :D

twist

Post by twist » Sun May 17, 2020 11:42 am

I have the same problem T-Roo. I live very close to an abandoned building - the roof of which is home to hundreds of birds. I clean off the poop as soon as I notice but there often seems to be an outline of the stain after removing. FYI though, Meguiars Waterless Wash & Wax gets most of the poop off with minimal effort. It’s actually quite good stuff for cleaning without a hose anyway and adds a layer of protective wax (supposedly) after you’ve done a few washes.

The bird poop drives me crazy though as it’s every single day. I wonder if eventually I’ll end up not giving a crap like this guy I snapped at ASDA yesterday.

FF360772-BE07-434B-8FD1-6BFE09497898.jpeg

1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Tue May 19, 2020 3:24 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Managed to get most of the stain out; there is a faint outline still there but you’d have to know it to be able to see it (which I do of course - bah!). Decided to leave it at that so as not to risk the ‘repair’ becoming a problem.

It was the work of a seagull. Those things crap a bucketload :(

Darren C

Post by Darren C » Wed May 20, 2020 8:24 pm

Agree fully with others, the lacquer on modern paint is very susceptible to staining. I’ve had it stain on the black roof of my up! GTI - only small deposits too. I must be mad buying a black Roc thinking about it.

I don’t know if ceramic coating offers any greater protection over conventional polishes. Only other option is PPF - but even that can be damaged and require replacement, and is about as far from cheap as it gets.
2020 1.5 TSI DSG R-Line, Deep Black Pearlescent
Panoramic sunroof, beats audio, park assist, high beam assist, reversing camera

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Wed May 20, 2020 11:44 pm

Darren C wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:24 pm
Agree fully with others, the lacquer on modern paint is very susceptible to staining. I’ve had it stain on the black roof of my up! GTI - only small deposits too. I must be mad buying a black Roc thinking about it.

I don’t know if ceramic coating offers any greater protection over conventional polishes. Only other option is PPF - but even that can be damaged and require replacement, and is about as far from cheap as it gets.
I’ve just seen the pic of yours. That beautiful deep black paintwork is particularly susceptible to bird droppings. Get some wipes for the glovebox in case you get bombed when you’re out and about. That stuff has to come off pronto. My car had a wax and sealant on and the poo was only on there for 30 minutes or so but it still got etched.

It’s sorted now though 8-)

Darren C

Post by Darren C » Thu May 21, 2020 9:28 pm

Thanks. I carry lots of cleaning products with me. It’s bound to happen when I’m in the office, at the shops, out and about (post lockdown) or simply on the drive. I’ll wax it, but like you have experienced, no guarantees that it will overly help, hopefully reduce the impact slightly and maybe help polishing out the stain somewhat. He says in hope...

Good to hear you have rectified the damage enough to be happy with the end result. 👍🏻
T Roo wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:44 pm
I’ve just seen the pic of yours. That beautiful deep black paintwork is particularly susceptible to bird droppings. Get some wipes for the glovebox in case you get bombed when you’re out and about. That stuff has to come off pronto. My car had a wax and sealant on and the poo was only on there for 30 minutes or so but it still got etched.

It’s sorted now though 8-)
2020 1.5 TSI DSG R-Line, Deep Black Pearlescent
Panoramic sunroof, beats audio, park assist, high beam assist, reversing camera

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat May 23, 2020 1:51 pm

Firstly T Roo, I'm glad you didn't suffer a typo with the subject of this topic otherwise you might have started an international incident with a well known member in Spain ! :D

My car sits out on a double driveway shared with my neighbour and the gap between our houses is a bomb alley for birds of all sizes. The real clever ones can even do a dump which lands in the gap between bonnet and windscreen while avoiding both but messing the wiper arms and the black plastic panel. I suspect like many others, I've had to deal with every sort from tiny white droplets to larger efforts which wash off easily then there are the enormous splats which sometimes manage to land on just about every panel and window, and some which set like concrete ... probably used in the well known adhesive 'Sticks Like S***' :lol:

I must have been lucky as I don't recall ever having anything which left a lasting mark on the paintwork, but I have had some which etched into the glass.

I don't think an air rifle will work, as it will just make the mark worse and may even penetrate the metal, leaving a hole :lol:
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D