Problem pairing phone to Golf 8

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Impala

Re: Problem pairing phone to Golf 8

Post by Impala » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:18 pm

Ok JBR999, it sounds very much like everything you are looking for is done using Android Auto.

So stupid question, have you installed Android Auto on your phone ?

Another stupid question, is your wife's phone out of Bluetooth range (30ft / 10m) or switched off while you are setting up your own phone ? Although an Android phone can simultaneously connect to multiple BT devices, I'm not sure (doubt ?) if the VW Infotainment head unit can connect to more than one.

When was your car built ?

VW cars have supported AA since 2018 (or earlier ?) but only the latest cars support AA Wireless, and not yet across the full range. I believe the Golf 8 supports wireless for iPhone/CarPlay but not for Android/AA, although that may have changed for the latest Model Year cars.

If your car doesn't support AA Wireless, then you need to keep your phone teathered via a USB cable, which must be plugged in to a data port on the car and not a basic power/charging port. During initial setup, AA will set up a Bluetooth connection in addition to the USB link, but I believe BT is only used for hands free phone calls and the USB link is used for other data connections for music streaming and Google Maps or Waze.

As noted above, you need to check the phone security/privacy settings and compare with those on your wife's phone. I assume the 2 phones have different versions of Android.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

JBR999

Post by JBR999 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:37 pm

Thank you Clubchamp98 and RP22 and, of course, everyone else who has helped.

I have decided to print off everything you people have posted so far and try everything again.
There must be some logical reason why my wife's phone would connect and mine wouldn't.

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:52 am

Jeez that sounds a bit excessive just to get your phone working in a brand new car.???

JBR999

Post by JBR999 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:29 pm

Thank you Impala. To answer your questions in order:

- Yes, Android Auto is certainly installed on my phone and I reinstalled it only a day or two ago to ensure that I had the latest version.
- Yes, my wife's phone was switched off whenever I attempted to pair mine to the car.
- The car, a Golf 8, was purchased on 1 March 2021 and, I believe, was built earlier this year.
- Yes, I'm sure the car supports Android Auto wirelessly, as my wife's phone connects wirelessly. In any event, I have tried to pair mine using Bluetooth only and also using the USB connection. Interestingly, during my earlier attempt to pair the phone, only the phone icon (and one other - music?) appeared on the screen. More recently, Mirror Link and Android Auto icons have appeared to the left of those on the screen, just as all four have always appeared next to my wife's phone on the screen.
- The only 'security' settings I can find turned on are 'Lock network and security', which is there to make the phone easier to locate if lost or stolen. I shall turn this off for now and when I try to pair again. I have also turned off 'Permission usage monitor' for Android Auto, in case this was causing the problem. I have also turned off 'Direct share' for the same reason. I had already turned off 'Device security' before attempting the pairing process.
- Incidentally, the phone is using Android 9,

Thanks again and I hope this is of some help.

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:17 pm

You've probably already looked here?
https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobi ... roid-auto/
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:50 pm

My understanding is that for the initial AA setup, regardless of how you will use it later, the phone MUST be connected to the car via a USB cable. Not sure if you can even launch AA on the phone without that USB connection unless you have established the wireless link in the initial setup.

Your phone must allow USB data transfers for Android Auto to function. While connected via a USB cable, swipe down from the top of the screen and tap the notification from the Android system. Select the option that allows for file transfer.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

JBR999

Post by JBR999 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:30 pm

Deleted user 925 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:17 pm
You've probably already looked here?
https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobi ... roid-auto/
Thanks. I hadn't seen that, but I think it's worth looking through it.

JBR999

Post by JBR999 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:32 pm

Impala wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:50 pm
Your phone must allow USB data transfers for Android Auto to function. While connected via a USB cable, swipe down from the top of the screen and tap the notification from the Android system. Select the option that allows for file transfer.
Thanks. That's one of the things on Deleted User's list, which I shall certainly try.