1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
T Roo

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by T Roo » Fri May 17, 2019 7:05 pm

Impala wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 pm
Thanks T Roo. I guess you will need to push VW or your dealer to determine if this latest fix can be applied to MY18 cars, but if you do get the fix applied, I hope it works for you. Too early to buy the fireworks and party hats though :D

I heard from my dealer this afternoon telling me he had managed to get the car prepared last night and could arrange hand over tomorrow or Sunday. He offered a bunch of registrations to choose from too !

Unfortunately by the time I got his email it was too late to transfer money between online accounts so it looks like Monday will be the BIG DAY !

I thought these bloody online accounts were fully automated and available 24x7 but it seems transfers can only happen during bank opening hours. Useless ! :evil: :twisted:

I've only myself to blame as I leave these mundane matters to my good wife :D
Yay! I think there are quite a few here who have followed your torture and are looking forward to your feedback and pics when you finally get your car.

To quote the Mamas and Papas:

Monday, Monday, so good to me
Monday mornin´, it was all I hoped it would be

:)

Impala

Post by Impala » Fri May 17, 2019 7:21 pm

T Roo wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:05 pm
Impala wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 pm
Thanks T Roo. I guess you will need to push VW or your dealer to determine if this latest fix can be applied to MY18 cars, but if you do get the fix applied, I hope it works for you. Too early to buy the fireworks and party hats though :D

I heard from my dealer this afternoon telling me he had managed to get the car prepared last night and could arrange hand over tomorrow or Sunday. He offered a bunch of registrations to choose from too !

Unfortunately by the time I got his email it was too late to transfer money between online accounts so it looks like Monday will be the BIG DAY !

I thought these bloody online accounts were fully automated and available 24x7 but it seems transfers can only happen during bank opening hours. Useless ! :evil: :twisted:

I've only myself to blame as I leave these mundane matters to my good wife :D
Yay! I think there are quite a few here who have followed your torture and are looking forward to your feedback and pics when you finally get your car.

To quote the Mamas and Papas:

Monday, Monday, so good to me
Monday mornin´, it was all I hoped it would be

:)
Now that takes me back a bit ...

Memories
Light the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories
Of the way we were

8-) 8-)
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Blue 30

Post by Blue 30 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:43 pm

ianchelt wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:23 pm
Blue 30 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 3:05 pm
ianchelt wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:51 am

Hi Blue30.

What hoops did I jump through?...

Ok here is my own personal scenario as the issue unfolded..

1. Collected car on 6th Jan.
2. Everything was fine on the day because the engine was warm (I think)
3. Next day - Early morning start - 3 deg Cent - Experience my first Roo under the bonnet. Irregular Revs at idle, then the engine hesitating as I kangarooed down the road. After about 10 minutes the engine warmed up and all was fine. However.
4. Reported this issue to my dealer the following week. They claimed they had not heard of this problem.. ... Actually at this point in January I believed them.
5. Read up about the unfolding issue on this website and others.
6. Went back to the dealer in late January and reported the fact there was an issue as it has been reported on VW forums.
7. Service guy then said he had just had a similar report from another customer and logged in on the VW(UK) issues list where he discovered it had been reported as a international issue and was with Corporate VAG to solve. (VW Report detailing the problem was issued internally on 6th Oct 2018).
8. So they logged my fault with VW at this point and said they would get back to me as soon as VW issued a fix/update.
9. Late February with no news, I registered a complaint with VW(UK) Executive office with an email to the CEO of VW UK. Received a complaint number and a contact within the VW office who would look after my case. So from late February up until this morning I have had a weekly call from my contact in VW Executive office. She has not failed to contact me once! I have to say, a very good service.
10. Weekly updates consisted of. " VW are still working on solving the issue.. what would you like to do? Reject the car or wait for a fix"? I chose the option of waiting for a fix as I love the car and couldn't bear the thought of waiting another 11 months for the car I really wanted.
11. Early this week during my routine contact with Executive Office, I was told a software fix to the ECU had now been issued and they had contacted my local dealer to get in contact with me directly to have my car booked in.
12. Car booked in yesterday for the fix and today I have been happy to report all is well. No lumps or bumps. Engine behaving how it should.

In a nutshell that's my story. Patience has paid off, but my god I needed plenty of that! Hope this helps!

1.5Tsi SE DSG White/Black - UK purchase.
Many many thanks for that detailed info.
I'm sure it will help with my discussions with my (UK/staffs) dealer next Tuesday.
Very interesting that I didn't read that you had to go through any diagnostics testing stage at any point during your waiting period for the 'fix' to be forthcoming!
TB.
Whoops...

Add Para 7a...

Dealer agreed to check the car for the offending Roo. Left the car with them overnight (they gave me a loan car), and in the morning they witnessed themselves the Roo issue and (I think) stuck it on their diagnostic machine but could not identify what the problem was!.

Sorry I missed that Para out.
Brill. That's exactly what I'm doing next Monday.
Dropping the car off, so they can do the cold start experience on Tuesday morning.
I WILL be offering my words of wisdom when I drop it off.
I trust it results in them dealing with the fix on the day !
Fingers & everything else crossed until then.
Why oh why don't they just deal with this issue as a letter drop to all 1.5 owners to call in by appointment to get the upgrade done.
Or is that toooo much to ask. Don't they understand we now live in the 21st century where we communicate worldwide.
They might even gain a bit of good PR for a chance !
3/19 1.5 SEL dsg

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat May 18, 2019 8:00 am

I think there may still be a large degree of uncertainty and they don't want to apply the fix on too many cars to start with, otherwise they might be wasting a lot of time an money, theirs and customers, not to mention raising expectations.

It's still early days to say this is the final fix, but fingers crossed that more cars will be rid of their Roos soon.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

FLC2091

Post by FLC2091 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Had fix applied to my manual 1.5 tsi. The fix failed, I still have a t-roo.

Dealer has agreed but back but awaiting approval for support from VW.

My question is for those who purchased via PCP and have gone through VW buyback. Were you “refunded” the invoice value of the original purchase transaction, or did you simply get back any deposit you had put in and VW simply cleared the finance settlement figure? I’m being told I have had benefit of the vehicle and should not expect my lease payments back. Whilst I agree I have had the car for a number of months, surely I should receive a full refund, less say the the excess mileage charge for the miles I have clocked up rooing along the roads.

niche

Post by niche » Sat May 18, 2019 4:21 pm

FLC2091 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:44 pm

My question is for those who purchased via PCP and have gone through VW buyback. Were you “refunded” the invoice value of the original purchase transaction, or did you simply get back any deposit you had put in and VW simply cleared the finance settlement figure? I’m being told I have had benefit of the vehicle and should not expect my lease payments back. Whilst I agree I have had the car for a number of months, surely I should receive a full refund, less say the the excess mileage charge for the miles I have clocked up rooing along the roads.
Sorry to hear that, a shame after the "fix" finally came. I got a full refund for the Roo (cash) but not long before my partner's car had something similar (PCP). We got everything back, plus some token amounts for "stress and disturbance/loss of enjoyment [or similar wording] and then less a little bit of wear and tear. We got some advice from the Ombudsman back then and were told that's the model small claims courts use. It wasn't VW but another big (UK) brand.

I'm fairly sure there is some guidance on this which they should follow but my take is that VW seem to leave more to the dealer's discretion vs having a strict model, mainly as I've heard 3-4 different types of offerings in this journey.

I'd push back on anything other than marginal usage - unless you've completely hammered the mileage..

Good luck
1.5 SE Manual Ordered Nov 18/ Collected Nov 18 /Rejected Jan 19 / Rejection Accepted Feb 19 / Refunded March 19

FLC2091

Post by FLC2091 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:11 pm

niche wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:21 pm
FLC2091 wrote:

Sorry to hear that, a shame after the "fix" finally came. I got a full refund for the Roo (cash) but not long before my partner's car had something similar (PCP). We got everything back, plus some token amounts for "stress and disturbance/loss of enjoyment [or similar wording] and then less a little bit of wear and tear. We got some advice from the Ombudsman back then and were told that's the model small claims courts use. It wasn't VW but another big (UK) brand.

I'm fairly sure there is some guidance on this which they should follow but my take is that VW seem to leave more to the dealer's discretion vs having a strict model, mainly as I've heard 3-4 different types of offerings in this journey.

I'd push back on anything other than marginal usage - unless you've completely hammered the mileage..

Good luck
Thanks for the information I’ve done only 3.8k miles in 6 months.

niche

Post by niche » Sat May 18, 2019 7:46 pm

FLC2091 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 7:11 pm
niche wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:21 pm
FLC2091 wrote:

Good luck
Thanks for the information I’ve done only 3.8k miles in 6 months.
No problem, I was curious enough to dig out the offer. As I said this wasn't VW but was a `PCP and actually reading it, we did well.. with the interest refund I think we made a small profit. To be fair we went fairly hard on social media at the time and they were not keen on the story getting more publicity - something that VW seems to be immune from to date..

Anyway - whether it's useful for you, is I guess, to be seen but this seemed fair treatment to us..

1.5 SE Manual Ordered Nov 18/ Collected Nov 18 /Rejected Jan 19 / Rejection Accepted Feb 19 / Refunded March 19

Ramy

Post by Ramy » Sun May 19, 2019 6:03 am

When you reject your Troc on a pcp you should aim for a full refund you will not have a problem with your pcp it will be settled and your deposit returned.vw call it a change of vehicle don't let this worry you they won't use the word reject,my rejection was sorted in one week,one of my friends sons has recently started an apprenticeship in a vw dealership in administration and has said hundreds of Trocs have been rejected in England but mainly 1.5,if you don't reject and move on you could be stuck with it they already have a stigma!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sun May 19, 2019 7:11 am

Ramy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:03 am
When you reject your Troc on a pcp you should aim for a full refund you will not have a problem with your pcp it will be settled and your deposit returned.vw call it a change of vehicle don't let this worry you they won't use the word reject,my rejection was sorted in one week,one of my friends sons has recently started an apprenticeship in a vw dealership in administration and has said hundreds of Trocs have been rejected in England but mainly 1.5,if you don't reject and move on you could be stuck with it they already have a stigma!
Sorry but I find “hundreds of TRocs” being rejected very hard to believe. The problem is some 1.5 engines with the kangaroo issue - not all - and this applies to all models in the VAG range with the 1.5 engine, not just the TRoc. If one took this apprentices’ view of “hundreds” then there would probably be thousands of 1.5 engined VAG cars - Ateca’s, Q2’s, Q3’s, Polo’s, Golf’s etc - across the range having been rejected - not just T-Rocs'. Rejections of a particular model on the scale you are suggesting would have certainly caught the motoring press’ eye and been reported - and it hasn’t (whilst the 'roo' issue with the 1.5 engine has been, nothing about high number of rejections across the VAG range, or for any particular model in the range). Whilst I agree that there are a number of rejections of the TRoc due to the 1.5 'roo' engine, I can’t accept it’s anywhere near as high as you are suggesting, nor do I accept it is causing a ‘stigma’ as you suggest either for the TRoc or for any other model in the VAG range fitted with the 1.5 engine. There are thousands out there very happy with their cars, including those with the 1.5 engine who have had no issues at all. If it was as bad as you are suggesting, then VW sales would have dropped significantly. They haven't.

I could accept a few hundred VAG cars fitted with the 1.5 'roo' engine across the entire VAG range being rejected. But just the TRoc? No sorry. I think said junior has not quite got his facts right.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19