1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
niche

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by niche » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:15 pm

ChrisR wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:58 am
After contacting VW Executive Office, my 2 week old Roo is now booked in with the dealer to check the software and see if there's an update to resolve it. Based on asultan's comments above that their vehicle hasn't been fixed, I'm not terribly optimistic. I'm taking a hire car, so if they say they've done a mod when I return to collect, I will ask if they'll come out with me to ensure they've removed the Roo.
I still find this curious as per plenty of previous comments. They checked my car remotely and offered a full refund/Rejection without ever seeing it, so I'm convinced they now the "magic sauce" of the issue from the VIN, yet this "check the vehicle" task is seemingly made mandatory. I'd love to know whether it's required or whether it is some sort of mask/process to make Rejections that much harder for people. Good luck anyway..!
1.5 SE Manual Ordered Nov 18/ Collected Nov 18 /Rejected Jan 19 / Rejection Accepted Feb 19 / Refunded March 19

ChrisR

Post by ChrisR » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:27 pm

I'd have thought so too, given that I received the car so recently and it should (presumably) be an MY19 build with the latest software, I'd have thought they'd know / be able to check remotely. The business I work for records the software we put on the systems we provide, and can remotely access them for diagnostic purposes, and we're far smaller than VW! Also, my Roo is sometimes present in 2nd gear at low speeds / revs. I'm assuming I'm not the only one, but give the title of the thread is 1st gear, I thought it may be worth mentioning.

niche

Post by niche » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:40 pm

ChrisR wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:27 pm
I'd have thought so too, given that I received the car so recently and it should (presumably) be an MY19 build with the latest software, I'd have thought they'd know / be able to check remotely. The business I work for records the software we put on the systems we provide, and can remotely access them for diagnostic purposes, and we're far smaller than VW! Also, my Roo is sometimes present in 2nd gear at low speeds / revs. I'm assuming I'm not the only one, but give the title of the thread is 1st gear, I thought it may be worth mentioning.
Yes, exactly. I'm also in IT so I get the point. I posted (probably rather as a distraction) a link here some weeks ago about how Tesla had implemented a solution to the "Pet Mode Air Con" feature (cool that they even had that in the first place). The user who reported it ("hot dogs" but in another context!) got the fix deployed first, before they then deployed to all other owners, mainly before any of them even realised they had an issue.

Back to the main discussion and Just for comparison - mine too was present just as much in 2nd/low revs as it was in 1st, and that's when it actually proved the most annoying as I'd learned to expect it / compensate for it from start / in 1st but just couldn't in 2nd/low revs - mainly as I live on a road that has all 3 approaches up very steep hills.. It was clearly untenable to continue to drive it, and in fact I considered it dangerous to do so. Funny - I'd never really taken in the mention of 1st in the original title!
1.5 SE Manual Ordered Nov 18/ Collected Nov 18 /Rejected Jan 19 / Rejection Accepted Feb 19 / Refunded March 19

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:46 pm

niche wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:15 pm
I still find this curious as per plenty of previous comments. They checked my car remotely and offered a full refund/Rejection without ever seeing it, so I'm convinced they now the "magic sauce" of the issue from the VIN, yet this "check the vehicle" task is seemingly made mandatory. I'd love to know whether it's required or whether it is some sort of mask/process to make Rejections that much harder for people. Good luck anyway..!
I think it's a strategy of individualising each rejection; VW are dealing on a person by person basis with the aim of containing the cost of claims. A recall (even if they had a solution, which they don't) would cost them an arm and a leg. By dealing separately they are hoping to limit their costs to just the arm (and less if individual owners are a soft touch).

By way of illustration, how many here have had written advice from VW Exec? No? Didn't think so. Better to not go into print in case any inconsistency is revealed.

Also, they don't want any (more) negative publicity but the 1.5 tsi issue is gathering momentum (after a hesitant start - a bit like the T-Roc really!) and this will impact on the rejected cars that go straight back on the forecourt.

niche

Post by niche » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 pm

T Roo wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:46 pm
niche wrote:
I think it's a strategy of individualising each rejection; VW are dealing on a person by person basis with the aim of containing the cost of claims. A recall (even if they had a solution, which they don't) would cost them an arm and a leg. By dealing separately they are hoping to limit their costs to just the arm (and less if individual owners are a soft touch).

By way of illustration, how many here have had written advice from VW Exec? No? Didn't think so. Better to not go into print in case any inconsistency is revealed.

Also, they don't want any (more) negative publicity but the 1.5 tsi issue is gathering momentum (after a hesitant start - a bit like the T-Roc really!) and this will impact on the rejected cars that go straight back on the forecourt.
I'm sure you're right T Roo. We've suggested similar theories previously. I guess I was "lucky" to get in early, whilst it was even more disjointed and un-coordinated than it is now at VW/VAG HQ. Of course "lucky" is a relative term here as having to fight to make a case that my horribly faulty car was eligible for return under UK law, against the odds was hardly something that made me feel "lucky" at the time :lol:

In relation to the VW Exec office, no, of course not - but there again I didn't expect to. I took copious notes and recorded all conversations to double check those notes. I then played back the salient points in a summary email - which is my advice to all who embark in any comms with them. In my case I had full and open acceptance that "we have an issue with your engine". I used that line in my Rejection and it was never disputed. Again I expect they are more careful now..

I was pleased to see Hugo's article online for AutoExpress - but it hasn't seemed to have made too much of an impact yet.. time will tell I'm sure.

Impala

Post by Impala » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:13 pm

niche wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 pm
T Roo wrote:
niche wrote:

I'm sure you're right T Roo. We've suggested similar theories previously. I guess I was "lucky" to get in early, whilst it was even more disjointed and un-coordinated than it is now at VW/VAG HQ. Of course "lucky" is a relative term here as having to fight to make a case that my horribly faulty car was eligible for return under UK law, against the odds was hardly something that made me feel "lucky" at the time :lol:

In relation to the VW Exec office, no, of course not - but there again I didn't expect to. I took copious notes and recorded all conversations to double check those notes. I then played back the salient points in a summary email - which is my advice to all who embark in any comms with them. In my case I had full and open acceptance that "we have an issue with your engine". I used that line in my Rejection and it was never disputed. Again I expect they are more careful now..

I was pleased to see Hugo's article online for AutoExpress - but it hasn't seemed to have made too much of an impact yet.. time will tell I'm sure.
I'm in the fortunate, or rather the unfortunate position of having severe hearing loss and have been unable to do voice calls for many years. When I dealt with the VW Exec office and my dealer on my complaint about my order delay, every communication was by email, accompanied by PDF screen shots and other attachments. Neither had any problem dealing with me via email, so I think if anyone requested the same rather than phone calls, they would agree.

Unfortunately it does slow things down a lot, and a proper real-time discussion (I can do face to face) will often throw up new angles.

While there are many reasons for criticising VW and the dealers about the handling of this issue, I really don't think there is a conspiracy and reluctance to put anything in writing. It is just the way customer relations are handled these days and it is something I've had to contend with when dealing with most businesses, officials and even the NHS ... every one of them has help and contact us pages which say 'phone this number ... '. I find it extremely frustrating.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:12 pm

Impala wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:13 pm

I'm in the fortunate, or rather the unfortunate position of having severe hearing loss and have been unable to do voice calls for many years. When I dealt with the VW Exec office and my dealer on my complaint about my order delay, every communication was by email, accompanied by PDF screen shots and other attachments. Neither had any problem dealing with me via email, so I think if anyone requested the same rather than phone calls, they would agree.

Unfortunately it does slow things down a lot, and a proper real-time discussion (I can do face to face) will often throw up new angles.

While there are many reasons for criticising VW and the dealers about the handling of this issue, I really don't think there is a conspiracy and reluctance to put anything in writing. It is just the way customer relations are handled these days and it is something I've had to contend with when dealing with most businesses, officials and even the NHS ... every one of them has help and contact us pages which say 'phone this number ... '. I find it extremely frustrating.
With respect, a complaint about an order delay is not the same issue as rejecting a faulty car.

niche

Post by niche » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:21 am

Impala wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:13 pm
niche wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 pm
T Roo wrote:

Sorry to hear about your hearing loss Impala and interesting and pleasing to see that VW accommodated you as described.

I really don't agree with your view re reluctance to write things down regarding VW though. My original comms to them was by email and yet their replies were always verbal. If I match this with countless other organisations, from John Lewis, Currys to Amazon they will all allocate me a ticket/reference number and reply in writing to such a request, also offering me chat in real time in some circumstances, followed up by an email of the transcript for our mutual records, I can't actually think of a single one that phones me back and puts nothing in writing. I appreciate that outside of retail, and in areas such as the NHS as you say, that you're absolutely right (and even with full hearing I really hate having to resort to calling any call centre etc , so I can only partially appreciate how much of a problem that is for you) but here, especially regarding a significant complaint I don't think phone is the norm.

I do also firmly believe that this is about a divide and conquer approach - even in the last few weeks we've seen basic rebuttals of Rejections -these are seemingly without credible justification and always without anything in writing. I believe that's more than a co-incidence and at odds with the communications methods primarily used by such organisations today, especially in what is a matter of UK law.

Barnaclebob

Post by Barnaclebob » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:49 am

Just one point regarding VW’s reluctance to communicate by email (and leaving a paper trail), but preferring to telephone (leaving the argument of “you said, I said” and mishearing)... What would be their reaction be if you informed their caller that “for legal reasons this telephone conversation is being recorded”! Would they continue the conversation? Just a thought...
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

Karr3

Post by Karr3 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:59 am

I have just received in the post this morning from Ipsos Loyalty Automotive & Services on behalf of Skoda, a letter along with a survey to complete asking for my opinion of my faulty karoq with the roo and 2nd gear problems. I wonder how many of these have been sent out? Never had one before.