1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
claireb

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by claireb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Newtroconthebloc - completely agree, you’ve hit the nail on the head! I’m 2 months in and swapping from a GTI I’ve noticed that I have to rev the engine a lot more to start moving and change up into 2nd at around 8mph. I don’t think it’s a fault, just think I have to get used to it along with dropping from 2 to 1.5lt engine.

With regards to mpg, I have a 100mile daily commute on motorways and I average 44-48mpg, which I think is acceptable. I fill up more often than the Golf due to the size of the tank (assume it’s smaller) but it’s cheaper to fill 😁
T-ROC R-Line 1.5, white with black roof, park assist, rear camera, beats, DCC, ordered 03/08, build week 01/10, status 5a 25/10, status 6 07/11, status 7 14/11, collected 22nd November 2018 :D

boris

Post by boris » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 am

So does this kangarooing occur mainly when the engine is cold?

Looks like one minute they admit the problem then the next minute they don't know of any problem.

It seems strange to me that VW themselves after all this time cant find a fix, when they have all the engineering experts, equipment and computers to hand. Perhaps it is a problem they cant fix.

VW have a lot riding on this new 1.5 engine with Skoda and Seat using it as well. Perhaps they don't want to admit to the problem and that they are struggling to fix it. If so and it hit the car magazines out there it would cost them lots of sales in a ever difficult market.

Problem to me with VW is the emission's scandal, its caused a massive dent in there reputation for honesty and integrity.

Who knows what to believe?

Jabbafumi

Post by Jabbafumi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:30 am

Hi all,

Sorry to read that you are all still having the same issues. I bought my T-Roc back June last year and returned it in July. I’m pretty certain that VW can’t easily fix this. During my arguments with VW I did some extensive investigation around the engine itself. This engine was designed after diesel gate and the brief was a petrol engine with the torque and economy of a diesel. To do this they designed an engine based on the “Miller Cycle”. Simply, on the compression stroke they open the inlet valves, in a normal engine this would result in a loss of compression and the car would stall. They get around this by spooling up the turbo to create back pressure. I think the problem is this, exhaust gases spool up the turbo and provide the pressure, so when you pull away, the revs naturally drop, this causes the turbo to stop, compression is lost and now the car tries to stall, the anti stall kicks in and hey presto, kangarooing.

gums

Post by gums » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:41 am

I just hate the thing completely in gears 1 and 2 and it’s massively spoiling the experience for me. You shouldn’t even have to think of how to drive it, it should just be second nature after a few weeks bedding in period like any other car I’ve had. With my troc it feels as though I’m constantly concious of what I’m doing in lower gears. Whilst the kangarooing is noticeably worse when cold for the first 30 seconds of a journey - excaberbated as I have a speed bump to manoeuvre after pulling off my drive (the neighbours must think I can’t drive)

I’m also not happy with the car at low speed in second gear. I’m used to pretty much being able to drive at a very low speed in second - anything apart from pulling away from static but at times when travelling a few miles per hour in second I’ll put my foot down and there’s just nothing there at all. Any other car would chug a little and eventually start to pull. This one just sits there doing nothing without any notes from the engine until you swap down to second. Ok I get that I should probably be in first if we’re driving perfectly but let’s face it, that doesn’t always happen (sometime’s we’re lazy drivers) and in all of my other cars I’ve been able to get away with it. With the troc it seems there is no leway.

I can’t remember when I drove the demo whether I had the same thing, possibly I did but maybe I just put it down to using a new clutch and getting used to it. Sadly after 2 months driving this I’m not sure whether I will get used to it.

Coming from the 1.4 tsi Audi A3 which is a very similar engine this one seems very sluggish in the lower gears. I might try and test drive the 1.5 engine they now have in the A3 which is presumably the same as the unit in the t-roc and see if it’s similar - I doubt it tbh.
T-Roc R-Line 1.5 TSI Manual. Pure white with black roof. Ordered 18/07/18. Est. 10/12/18.

01/10/18: Confirmed build week
25/10/18: Stage 5a: in transit (left factory)
08/11/18: Stage 6: arrived in UK
22/11/18: Expected delivery :D

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:38 am

Not too sure if anyone has asked, but is this only happening with the manual Gearbox, I have the 1.5 EVO 150psi (2 cylinder on demand) engine in my Golf coupled with the DSG auto and the drive off is ok, there may be a slight hesitation between 1st and 2nd when the engine is cold but it’s very minor. Hope VW come up with a fix as I can imagine it spoils what should be a smooth gear change.
Ordered 11/03/19 R line 1.5tsi DSG Indium Grey

Ang01

Post by Ang01 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:06 am

The experience is not good. Hate the kangarooing but I also get this intermittent self propelling again when engine cold. Take foot of accelerator and the car drives on with speed! Others have mentioned this . 😤

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:16 pm

IanW wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:29 am
Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 pm
IanW wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 pm
Also, just to say, I think mine is getting worse the more miles I do in it. Just approaching 1000 miles now and seems worse than ever. Not sure if it's connected but my MPG is rubbish too. I have only once hit 40 mpg (just) on ANY journey and I'm typically getting 32. Commute to work sometimes less than 30 in moderate traffic. Not at all what I was expecting from the 1.5 engine.
To be honest IMO, it's way too early to say how your overall mpg is working out in my opinion - given you have only done 1,000 miles, some of them running in, some of them as you say doing 30mph in moderate traffic (no doubt with more than a few stop starts). Under those conditions mpg will always be poor. You need a good mixture of town work and running at motorway speeds before you realistically get a good perception of overall mpg.

Given what you say the conditions you have been running your under, then as I say, I'm not surprised its poor. I'd put money on if you had done 1000 motorway miles at a steady pace, the mpg would be significantly different
Thanks for the reply Hawkeye and I do agree with you that the engine will still be tight and not yet giving it's best economy. However, I worded my post quite badly and in fact meant that I am getting less than 30mpg on my commute (rather than travelling at under 30mph). Part of this journey is traffic but also some open road at 40/50mph. On my last few commutes home, I have only been achieving about 27-28mpg and this is when I am making an extra effort to drive economically! I've been waiting to see if it improves as the engine does more miles but, so far, no improvement at all.
Given that explanation then IanW - hmm that's not good at all, for sure I'd be having a word with the dealer. However can I suggest that you might want to do a "manual" check of your mpg - normal stuff, fill up, note the mileage, do the miles and then at the next fill up work your mpg out manually against motion lotion used. I've found also in the past that the mpg as calculated by the car can at times be "wildly optimistic or inaccurate", and its always worthwhile (IMO) double checking what the computer on the car tells you with hard data. I had a similar issue to you on my motorcycle last summer, whereby when I went touring down to the Alps on it last summer - mainly motorway miles cruising at the speed limit - my mpg (as shown on the dash) dropped by over 9 mpg! A word with the dealer when I got back asking for an explanation, and a few calls to the factory resulted in a software upgrade to my clocks - which now give a much more accurate mpg (when checked against hard data). So whether it's naff info from the software, or indeed there is something more sinister - who knows. Dealers find it hard to argue hard data when compared against the factory published figures (even more so with WLTP)
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

boris

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo/self acceleration

Post by boris » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:01 am

Ang01 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:09 pm
Those of you who have experienced the car pull away on its own or gain speed in 1st/ 2nd gear when cold need to contact VW head office as they say they are not aware of this fault.
Seems from other comments VW Head office don't like to confirm if any faults are known to them or not!

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 am

Does this fault occur on the automatic or mainly on the manual gearbox?
Ordered 11/03/19 R line 1.5tsi DSG Indium Grey

gums

Post by gums » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:08 pm

Exclusively to the 1.5 tsi manual. I guess you can build the logic into the DSG transmission to handle it more precisely than a human can.
T-Roc R-Line 1.5 TSI Manual. Pure white with black roof. Ordered 18/07/18. Est. 10/12/18.

01/10/18: Confirmed build week
25/10/18: Stage 5a: in transit (left factory)
08/11/18: Stage 6: arrived in UK
22/11/18: Expected delivery :D