1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Hawkeye

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 pm

I've had DSG boxes on my last 3 Audi's (which effectively are the same boxes as fitted to VW's) and never had an issue. The main thing with a DSG box is to make sure you do the oil change (at around every 35k on an Audi DSG box), that aside, the DSG boxes are really straight forward and smooth.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Built 11-12-18,
Currently in transit

Abu

Post by Abu » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:30 pm

gums wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:41 am

I’m also not happy with the car at low speed in second gear. I’m used to pretty much being able to drive at a very low speed in second - anything apart from pulling away from static but at times when travelling a few miles per hour in second I’ll put my foot down and there’s just nothing there at all. Any other car would chug a little and eventually start to pull. This one just sits there doing nothing without any notes from the engine until you swap down to second. Ok I get that I should probably be in first if we’re driving perfectly but let’s face it, that doesn’t always happen (sometime’s we’re lazy drivers) and in all of my other cars I’ve been able to get away with it. With the troc it seems there is no leway.

I can’t remember when I drove the demo whether I had the same thing, possibly I did but maybe I just put it down to using a new clutch and getting used to it. Sadly after 2 months driving this I’m not sure whether I will get used to it.

Coming from the 1.4 tsi Audi A3 which is a very similar engine this one seems very sluggish in the lower gears. I might try and test drive the 1.5 engine they now have in the A3 which is presumably the same as the unit in the t-roc and see if it’s similar - I doubt it tbh.
I have a 1.5 Tsi manual Golf and I totally agree with you. This car is slugish at low revs, it doesn;t even compare with my old 1.2 Tsi Polo. But this is not a defect I'm afraid so we have to live with it... I am just sorry I couldn;t afford a GTI. I test drove a T-Roc with the same enginer before ordering mhy Golf, because the dealer did not have this engine available for testing in the Golf, and I was not impressed. When I told the dealer he explained to me that a Golf has a different manual gearbox and it feels faster. And I believed him :)

IanW

Post by IanW » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:18 pm

My local dealer has acknowledged that my car has a fault and they have told me that VW have issued a technical bulletin about it which states that there is a fault and they are working on a software update to fix it. Seems we have heard this on the forum before! So, as of today, the fix is not available and VW will not say when it will be! I'm really starting to lose patience. For me, it has totally ruined the experience of getting a new car. It's such a shame, since once up to FULL operating temperature the car drives well and I otherwise think it's a good car (poor MPG aside). I logged a complaint with VW customer care shortly after taking delivery and I'll be contacting them again soon to have another whinge! I've been tempted to return the car but that's not a great option as I'll be on the bus for a few weeks! Getting a replacement T-Roc doesn't seem an option either, due to the long delivery times. I would encourage anyone else with this issue to contact VW and make some fuss. Only if we complain will something get done... maybe...

ianchelt

Post by ianchelt » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi,

Have just taken delivery of my new T-Roc and loving everything about it. (Well nearly).

The driving position is what I notice most after owning saloons and hatchbacks for the past 48 years! Mmmm is it really that long. Eeeeek!

Anyway, I notice that on start-up when the car is "cold', the engine appears to give the appearance of either miss-firing, stuttering as I pull away. It feels either injection system is not providing sufficient fuel or it's over "choking". That gives the car a sort of kangaroo effect as I lurch down the road. It goes away as I speed up and the engine warms up. I mentioned at the service advisor at my local dealer and he says this is not unheard off. He has had a few other complaints with similar descriptions. He says that VW are aware and have been for some time, and may be working on a software fix! Not sure if I believe this or not. Has anyone else experience this on a DSG or it and old topic that Iv'e missed on the forums somewhere?

Cheers

T-Roc 1.5TSi (Evo) SE DSG

IanW

Post by IanW » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 pm

ianchelt wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:47 pm
Hi,

Have just taken delivery of my new T-Roc and loving everything about it. (Well nearly).

The driving position is what I notice most after owning saloons and hatchbacks for the past 48 years! Mmmm is it really that long. Eeeeek!

Anyway, I notice that on start-up when the car is "cold', the engine appears to give the appearance of either miss-firing, stuttering as I pull away. It feels either injection system is not providing sufficient fuel or it's over "choking". That gives the car a sort of kangaroo effect as I lurch down the road. It goes away as I speed up and the engine warms up. I mentioned at the service advisor at my local dealer and he says this is not unheard off. He has had a few other complaints with similar descriptions. He says that VW are aware and have been for some time, and may be working on a software fix! Not sure if I believe this or not. Has anyone else experience this on a DSG or it and old topic that Iv'e missed on the forums somewhere?

Cheers

Hi

I have the manual version and your description of the engine from a cold start is spot on, sounds terrible. It settles down after a short while but, on mine, the stuttering when driving can continue for some time until the car is fully warm. Yes, apparently VW are aware and are working on a fix (see my earlier post).
Question for you please, do you have any options which may require drawing more electrical power than a standard car?

Cheers

ianchelt

Post by ianchelt » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:57 pm

IanW wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 pm
ianchelt wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:47 pm
Hi,

Cheers

Hi

I have the manual version and your description of the engine from a cold start is spot on, sounds terrible. It settles down after a short while but, on mine, the stuttering when driving can continue for some time until the car is fully warm. Yes, apparently VW are aware and are working on a fix (see my earlier post).
Question for you please, do you have any options which may require drawing more electrical power than a standard car?

Cheers
Hi IanW... No.. the only options I had on the car were the SatNav... and that's really just a SD card, and the Info Display thingy. Don't know what is going on. My dealer wants to have it in overnight so he can check the symptoms from cold the next day. I won't be able to get it to them until middle of next month but I suspect I am wasting my time.

Cheers

Redway87

Post by Redway87 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:04 pm

IanW wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:18 pm
My local dealer has acknowledged that my car has a fault and they have told me that VW have issued a technical bulletin about it which states that there is a fault and they are working on a software update to fix it. Seems we have heard this on the forum before! So, as of today, the fix is not available and VW will not say when it will be! I'm really starting to lose patience. For me, it has totally ruined the experience of getting a new car. It's such a shame, since once up to FULL operating temperature the car drives well and I otherwise think it's a good car (poor MPG aside). I logged a complaint with VW customer care shortly after taking delivery and I'll be contacting them again soon to have another whinge! I've been tempted to return the car but that's not a great option as I'll be on the bus for a few weeks! Getting a replacement T-Roc doesn't seem an option either, due to the long delivery times. I would encourage anyone else with this issue to contact VW and make some fuss. Only if we complain will something get done... maybe...
Had the same dilemma and bit the bullet returning the T-Roc with kangarooing issues after 3 months 2500 miles and got a full refund. Looked around and decided to get another but with a 1.0 litres engine from a different dealer. Ordered it 17/11/18 and will be collecting it on Tuesday. Anyway good luck with whatever you decide.
1st T-Roc 2018 1.5 Evo Design Energetic Orange rejected / returned due to Kangarooing.
2nd T-Roc 2019 1.0 SEL Iridium Grey.

niche

Post by niche » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:38 pm

Hello all. My first post, so thankful I found this forum after thinking I can't be the only one with this kangarooing problem on my new TROC. As per others love it - except this is just killing the experience for us!

Can I ask if anyone has seen this quoted VW document or had any sight of it? I have emailed the UK MD as per other suggestions and await a reply - as getting the "not heard of a problem" from my dealer.

Have others rejected their vehicles? Very simple in first 30 days and also not that hard after longer I know if the right process followed - but I'm not really that keen as have concluded that the TROC is the vehicle I want!

Would appreciate any info on these points.

thanks !

Ang01

Post by Ang01 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:31 pm

niche wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:38 pm
Hello all. My first post, so thankful I found this forum after thinking I can't be the only one with this kangarooing problem on my new TROC. As per others love it - except this is just killing the experience for us!

Can I ask if anyone has seen this quoted VW document or had any sight of it? I have emailed the UK MD as per other suggestions and await a reply - as getting the "not heard of a problem" from my dealer.

Have others rejected their vehicles? Very simple in first 30 days and also not that hard after longer I know if the right process followed - but I'm not really that keen as have concluded that the TROC is the vehicle I want!

Would appreciate any info on these points.

thanks !

I have had contact from VW who keep saying a fix is being worked on. At one point March was mentioned. It does spoil the initial experience and at first thought it was me. After nearly 4 months later, sadly it is just normal . I also have intermittent self acceleration, so just be aware but this not common but reported.
Otherwise love the car but never expected this from VW.

gums

Post by gums » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:26 pm

I’ve been in the Yorkshire dales this week and I can conclude that this 1.5tsi engine/transmission is utterly useless. Can’t even get up moderate inclines in second gear, there’s just nothing there at all.

Three times I’ve had to stop, change down to first and pull away. My sister driving a 1 lite Q2 behind me managed them no bother in second. There is something seriously wrong here and it’ll be going to the garage this week. I’ve never driven anything so poor in first and second in 20 years.
T-Roc R-Line 1.5 TSI Manual. Pure white with black roof. Ordered 18/07/18. Est. 10/12/18.

01/10/18: Confirmed build week
25/10/18: Stage 5a: in transit (left factory)
08/11/18: Stage 6: arrived in UK
22/11/18: Expected delivery :D

Return to “Main Volkswagen T-Roc chat”