Delayed build week (major)

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Impala

Re: Delayed build week (major)

Post by Impala » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:22 pm

davidf27 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:05 pm
Anybody know how soon after the build week its likely to be on a boat?
Finally got build week 18 (29th April) confirmed.
VW say the average time from factory to dealer is 4 weeks. That can be broken down into time waiting for a ship, journey time to the UK, offloading and distribution to dealers. Surprisingly, the bit in the middle is best defined.

At the moment, a vehicle transporter ship leaves Setubal for Sheerness once a week (currently around Friday/Sat). The journey takes about 3 days then 12-18 hours in port for offloading, but if you live further north your car may be offloaded at Grimsby (another day's journey), or at Tyne (another day again). Once offloaded, it will take a few days up to maybe 2 weeks before delivery to the dealer.

So to achieve 4 weeks from factory to dealer requires cars being loaded on a ship roughly within 2 weeks of leaving the factory.

I got the text message telling me my car had 'left the factory' on Sunday 31st March and as far as I can determine from the dealer and VW Customer Service, it is still waiting for a ship. So that's already over 2 weeks, in which time 2 ships have left Setubal for the UK.

After experiencing nearly 9 months wait for a confirmed build week, I don't have much faith in VW claims and promises. If you raise your expectations you will most likely be disappointed and then angry. :cry: :twisted:
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

davidf27

Post by davidf27 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:18 pm

Fingers crossed then, they've said it's expected to be at the dealers first week of June, so hopefully this materialises, however on holiday for 2 weeks from the 8th June!!!

The excitement is getting real now and almost on the home straight!!!
1.0 TSI SEL - Pearl Black - Keyless entry - Rear View Camera - Ordered 19/11/18 - Delivered 15th May 2019 and love it, faultless drive!

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Just got an update from my dealer that my car has arrived in UK, the VW tracker app has also just changed to a 6 'Arrived in UK'. :D
That took approx. 20 days from the VW tracker stage 5 'In Transit' notification.
I can only assume my car was on the Comet Ace and was unloaded at Sheerness yesterday (16th April) . The Comet Ace is currently docked at the port of Grimsby and then should head up towards the Tyne later.
Fingers crossed there'll be lots of other expectant owners with smiling faces in the next few days.
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar
Ordered - Sept 18
Collect - 29 Apr 19

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:40 pm

Glad to hear it Tony.

Mine went to 5a on 31st March and is still there, but I know lots have posted that theirs went straight from 5a to 6 (or even 7 in some cases), so the tracker is sometimes behind the actual.

My car is headed for Scotland, so will go to Tyne, and I was beginning to lose hope of it being on the Comet Ace and the next ship will probably be the Aquarius Ace, which is in Santander today and has to go to Malaga and Barcelona before getting back to Setubal meaning the next sailing from Setubal will be in about 10 days at the end of next week (none leaving this week).

However, I just had an email from my dealer saying 'still showing in transit from factory but it now shows on our deliverable report for April which means that VW are expecting imminent landing in UK'. Putting that together with your own update means the Comet Ace is back in the frame and has got me on the edge of my seat :D

Fingers crossed !
Ordered 22/06/18

loll69

Post by loll69 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 pm

How are you guys tracking your orders? In the end I went for an Audi Q2, ordered 2march but the tracking system has been down ever since, I would have thought vw and Audi would be using the same system.

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Impala wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:40 pm
Glad to hear it Tony.

Mine went to 5a on 31st March and is still there, but I know lots have posted that theirs went straight from 5a to 6 (or even 7 in some cases), so the tracker is sometimes behind the actual.

My car is headed for Scotland, so will go to Tyne, and I was beginning to lose hope of it being on the Comet Ace and the next ship will probably be the Aquarius Ace, which is in Santander today and has to go to Malaga and Barcelona before getting back to Setubal meaning the next sailing from Setubal will be in about 10 days at the end of next week (none leaving this week).

However, I just had an email from my dealer saying 'still showing in transit from factory but it now shows on our deliverable report for April which means that VW are expecting imminent landing in UK'. Putting that together with your own update means the Comet Ace is back in the frame and has got me on the edge of my seat :D

Fingers crossed !
Hi Impala,

My dealer did say that the UK tracking system has been down over the last few days, so any information regarding vehicle movements etc for us has been slow to be updated.
I think mine was on 5a all the way until today when it went to 6. The dealer says mine has now left the port and is now actually on route to their local pdi center.
Its all happening so quickly all of a sudden !

So everyone's fingers are crossed :)
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar
Ordered - Sept 18
Collect - 29 Apr 19

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:23 pm

loll69 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:06 pm
How are you guys tracking your orders? In the end I went for an Audi Q2, ordered 2march but the tracking system has been down ever since, I would have thought vw and Audi would be using the same system.
There are multiple methods which give more or less information.

For example, the online (web) tracker and VW App just give a single Stage 5 'In Transit' whereas the SMS text messages that you can sign up for, break that down into 5a/b/c. I know that 5a is 'Left the factory', meaning it is moving between the factory and some holding area waiting for shipping, which could presumably be by road, rail or sea depending on the destination. I think 5b is either allocated to a ship or on board, and 5c is nearing the UK, but it seems that many of us never get the 5b/c texts.

Live Chat use the same online tracker that customers have access to, so they don't have any other details, but some have contacted VW Customer Services ( by phone or email ?) and managed to get further details, including the ship name I believe. In theory, the dealer should have access to the most detailed information if you can persuade them to check their systems.

There are numerous web sites for checking port arrivals and departures, plus others for the individual ships. So if you know where the car is being built then you can work out the departure port, and the dealer can provide the arrival port from the order status even before the car build week is confirmed. The web pages for individual ships often show a history of their recent ports of call, with dates & times, so it is possible to work out the route, such as from Setubal (Portugal) to Sheerness, Grimsby, Tyne, Amsterdam, Santander, Malaga, Barcelona and finally back to Setubal - that route probably loads SEATs in Barcelona, VWs in Setubal and Nissans in Tyne. Another common route is from Emden in Germany to Sheerness/Grimsby/Tyne.

Putting it all together can become a bit of an obsession :oops: and a roller-coaster ride as you watch for ships heading to the UK and waiting anxiously for tracker updates or text messages, only to be disappointed when that ship comes and goes and you have to start over again watching for the next one. :P :( :P :(

However, confusion reigns and it is reported quite often that people get a call from their dealer to say the car has arrived before any of the tracker systems are updated.
Ordered 22/06/18

fez74uk

Post by fez74uk » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:43 pm

Just had an update saying it’s in transit wasn’t supposed to be built till next week!
1.5 R Line DSG in Ravenna Blue.
Ordered 11/1/19
Confirmed build date 22/4/19
Notified it was built 15/4/19
In transit 23/4/19
Arrived in the uk 11/5/19
Collected 07/06/19

jturks7

Post by jturks7 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Ordered my 1.5 SE petrol Revena blue/ black roof mid-Dec; status of ‘with the factory’ since the day after I ordered

Dealer confirmed build week of week 20 (mid May) this morning, although app still saying with the factory

Just happy there’s been progress and actually surprised the build week is a month away.
SE 1.5 TSI EVO Ravenna Blue/ Black
Ordered: 13th Dec 18
Build week: w/c 13th May 19
In transit: 14th May 19
Arrived in UK: 29th May 19
Arrived at Dealer: 7th Jun 19
Picked Up: 12th Jun 19

Impala

Post by Impala » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:21 pm

fez74uk wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:43 pm
Just had an update saying it’s in transit wasn’t supposed to be built till next week!
Been happening a lot recently ... so a knock on effect of earlier cars also being built early. Seems they don't update the tracker when the build is early, so it skips from stage 3 to stage 5a.
Ordered 22/06/18