Design fault seatbelt

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
CJD

Design fault seatbelt

Post by CJD » Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 am

I’m not sure if everyone has seen in the national press that VW have admitted the new shape polo has a design fault on its rear centre seat belt buckle. Essentially the rear middle seat seat belt housing has a slightly longer tether that attaches it under the seat to the car body. Because of this when the rear seat has 3 occupants if the car turns sharply & the passenger leans slightly, the middle seatbelt sits over the red release button of the outer belt & can accidentally release the outer near side seatbelt.

I’ve noted that the same design fault is apparent on the T-roc & have made my dealer aware who has passed it to VW UK. You guys may also want to do the same. It’s not a major issue for those that rarely have 3 rear seat occupants but for anyone that has kids or car seats in the back it may prove a much bigger issue

StevieDvd

Re: Design fault seatbelt

Post by StevieDvd » Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 am

I had the same message sent to me by my daughter, when I finally found the source (a Finnish Motoring magazine) it seems the T-Roc is OK.

See link to autoexpress article

Levy

Re: Design fault seatbelt

Post by Levy » Wed May 16, 2018 9:52 am

The seat belt buckles in T-Roc are produced by a different company than in Polo (Arona and Ibiza also) so the T-Roc isn't affected by this seat belt buckle fault.
If somebody is still worried, just type it in google and you will find dozen of articles confirming that.

Motor1.com - ''The fault was initially found on the Arona, with the magazine subsequently finding the same issue in the other cars. The Volkswagen T-Roc SUV was also tested, but the seatbelts are made by a different company. ''
T-Roc 1.5, 150 PS, manual
Pure White
Sport (a.k.a. SEL) with Sports pack and Park Pilot

Return to “Faults & Technical”