Recommendations for Dashcam for T-Roc

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
greyroc

Recommendations for Dashcam for T-Roc

Post by greyroc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi All,

Still not got our T-Roc yet, but been stock piling bits for it..

Latest thing on the list is a dashcam, so just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a dashcam which makes a tidy install in a T-Roc.

There are plenty about of all shapes and sizes, but am not sure which would fit nicely and be a nice install in a T-Roc.

Most seem to be 1080p or above, so should all do the job.

So, any recommendations ?
T-Roc SEL 1.5 TSI 150PS EVO 6-speed Manual Indium Grey
Usual SEL kit, Reversing Camera, Electric Tailgate & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 15th Sept 2018 (Delivery estimate Week 51 - December 2018)
Due to delay, Order changed to T-Cross April 2019

Steve

Re: Recommendations for Dashcam for T-Roc

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:58 pm

I have fitted a Nextbase 112.Does the job for me
1.5 TSI EVO SE Energetic Orange.Black roof and roof rails.Black mirrors.Park assist.Lane assist.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:41 pm

Nextbase for me too
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

greyroc

Post by greyroc » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:34 am

Thanks guy's..

I have been looking at Nextbase, nothing to expensive just the 312GW which would happily do the job.

What I am unsure about is how it would fit as I don't have the car yet.
I have read some posts that there is some kind of sensor on rear of mirror which is not ideal to obscure, and that the top of the windscreen has some kind of painted area to which the suckers don't stick very well !!

What I am after is a really nice install, possibly tucked up behind the mirror, which is tidy and unobtrusive.

Anyone got any pictures of their installs in a T-Roc ?
T-Roc SEL 1.5 TSI 150PS EVO 6-speed Manual Indium Grey
Usual SEL kit, Reversing Camera, Electric Tailgate & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 15th Sept 2018 (Delivery estimate Week 51 - December 2018)
Due to delay, Order changed to T-Cross April 2019

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 am

Like you I don’t have my TRoc yet so can’t comment on fitting in one. I have however fitted them in my last 3 cars and have to say I’m happy with how they fit.
Out of the box, the supplied wire has a connector for plugging into the ciggie lighter - you can’t cut or remove this connector as it adjusts the voltage that goes to the dashcam - what you will need (for the Nextbase) is the additional wire you can purchase for about £10-11 which plugs into the fuse box ( when I wired this in on mine I found one of the fuses that was switched power and used a piggy back connector - a few pence from eBay) to plug it in. The fuse box I generally use is the one down by the steering wheel rather than under the bonnet. After that it’s a case for finding the best route for the wire to get it via the A pillar and across the headlining. In general I’ve found there is a small gap between the headlining and wi screen which, with a bit of gentle persuading and a small spatula you can get the wire behind. Using the spatula upyou can also usually get the wire down the A pillar behind the cover, if it is tight though - and remember there may be an air bag there (not sure on TRoc) you can gently prise off the covers holding the screws to loosen the cover to get it behind.
Positioning of the dashcam - usually I have it just behind and to the left of the interior mirror. The suckers Nextbase use are very good, but on odd occasions I have come back to the dashcam hanging down off the windscreen.
So they can be neatly fitted - just takes time. Halfords can do the above I stall for you also.

The only thing about the Nextbase is that it is a bit “bulky” when affixed on the windscreen. I’m currently considering fitting a Blackvue instead - much more expensive, but a much smaller and neater camera, plus you can “extend” the system to fit a rear view camera and battery backup for when parked.

I did consider the Nextbase camera with twin lenses (that point front and rear) but discounted it after reading reviews. Camera works fine but apparently getting the camera positioned to get a clear rear view can be a bit of a pain.

Hope that helps.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

brid

Post by brid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:15 am

I use this and will buy another with a rear camera if I ever see the Roc, very discreet, easy on off - GPS etc:
Viofo car-dash-cam A119
Have a mounting in both our cars and just change from on to the other as required.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:44 am

greyroc wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:34 am
Thanks guy's..

I have been looking at Nextbase, nothing to expensive just the 312GW which would happily do the job.

What I am unsure about is how it would fit as I don't have the car yet.
I have read some posts that there is some kind of sensor on rear of mirror which is not ideal to obscure, and that the top of the windscreen has some kind of painted area to which the suckers don't stick very well !!

What I am after is a really nice install, possibly tucked up behind the mirror, which is tidy and unobtrusive.

Anyone got any pictures of their installs in a T-Roc ?
I have the nextbase 312gw fitted to my Golf and it works fine, it is a bit big but does have a small screen to watch playback, GPS is a feature which is useful on this model as it gives time and location if there is an accident etc and the camera gives excellent images during the day, at night it is sometimes harder to pick out registration numbers. The battery on the camera does not last very long if you disconnect from the power source and in very hot weather the sucker can come off but on the plus side once it’s wired in it’s easy to remove the camera unit.
I’ve been looking at a new dashcam with a rear view attachment and as mentioned by Hawkeye the Blackvue dashcam looks a good option but if price is a consideration I would recommend the nextbase 312GW particularly as a first dashcam.
Ordered R line 1.5tsi DSG Indium Grey 11/03/19
Built wk 34 and in transit 23/08/19
Arrived at the UK Port. 11/09/19
Due for collection 23/09/19

TN55

Post by TN55 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:45 am

Hi all, I've got a Viofo A119 fitted to my golf, it very discrete and fits well along side the reverse mirror, you hardly notice it, its a medium range dash cam priced at around £90.00 and is very good, viofo have brought out a due cam A129 which is what I will be getting when I eventually get the ROC. if you look on you tube for Viofo dash cams it shows you how they look work and can be installed, the A129 is priced at around £135.00 on Ebay. Hope this helps.
T-Roc R Line, 1.5 DSG, Pure White with black roof, Electric tail gate, Reversing Camera, High beam assist and lumbar surport, Ordered on the 2nd August 2018

N19

Post by N19 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 am

Hello

I am considering a viofo as well, especially because I do not like the suction pads and the tape would be nice (not sure whether on the rear mirror or on the dash indeed)
For the viofo owners, how did you manage with the charging cable?
Do you charge the cam every now and then or do you keep it on charge?
When charging, I assume you use the 12 volts socket? How do you manage with the cable?

Thanks for any piece of advice!

All the bests

N19

claireb

Post by claireb » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi All,

I have the Nexbase duo (front and rear) - it’s under a year old so had it in the Golf prior to the t-roc. It sits next to the mirror but causes me no obstruction.

Halfords charge £30 for fitting which is great value as it’s fiddly to do and involves pulling panels off.

Pics attached!

ADF45889-5975-40C6-B1E7-442C39965B40.jpeg

14951437-B2F5-4D69-ABA1-B154CBE43CAB.jpeg

264E1755-0610-44FA-87F3-B775CF943E9C.jpeg

T-ROC R-Line 1.5, white with black roof, park assist, rear camera, beats, DCC, ordered 03/08, build week 01/10, status 5a 25/10, status 6 07/11, status 7 14/11, collected 22nd November 2018 :D