1.5 Evo - Any happy drivers????

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Dlc

1.5 Evo - Any happy drivers????

Post by Dlc » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:30 am

Hi.
I am due to pick up my T-roc 1.5 Evo in March and am feeling very nervous about it. With all the reports of faults and rejection on the kangaroo thread it is putting the fear in me that my car will be a disaster too. My dealer is an over night ferry trip away and an expensive round trip to get to.
Is there anyone out there that has picked up their 1.5 Evo recently and have had no issues and are happy with it? :?:
Please comment......and put my, and others minds at rest. It will give all us still waiting a bit of hope. ;)
T roc 1.5 manual Design with reversing camera and keyless entry. Tumeric yellow with oak brown roof.
Ordered 21/08/2018
Build date 14/01/19
In UK 28/01/19
Collection March 2019.

Impala

Re: 1.5 Evo - Any happy drivers????

Post by Impala » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:17 pm

Hi Dic,

Like yourself, I find many of the discussions going on here are very negative but I think that is very much the nature of forums like this becuase it is mostly people with a problem (or a grouse) who seek out others for support or advice. I think you just need to keep a bit of perspective when reading the posts.

It is impossible to establish the true extent of the problems being discussed as a percentage of all cars delivered, and you will find similar tales of problems for just about any make of car on the market if you dig deep enough. It is the same when buying consumer goods ... many of the reviews are negative becuase satisfied customers usually have better things to do.

By posting this I may be letting myself in for criticism or worse from others on the forum, and I am NOT saying that there aren't people with very real and significant problems which may have been aggravated by poor customer service from VW, but I don't think you can go through life always expecting the worst. I don't have my T-Roc yet but I am willing to wait and see and do not intend fretting over things that might never happen.

In closing, if you want to spend the time reading every post on the forum you will find there maybe as many people who have had no complaints and love their cars, it's just that they only say so once unlike those with the problems, myself included.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey rear view camera park assist.
Ordered: 22/06/18
Stage 2: 27/06/18
Stage 3: 08/03/19
Build wk: 14 (01/04/19)
Stage 5a: 31/03/19 (1 wk early)
Est UK: wk 18 (29/04/19)
Collect: early May :D

JonnyD

Post by JonnyD » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi Dlc,

I'm pretty happy to be honest. Like a lot of people, I experience the 'kangaroo' at 1st gear but this is only when starting from cold and I think it's just a case of finding the best balance when starting up the car and pulling away. It's a bit of a pain, but not one that is a gamechanger as far as I'm concerned.

On the whole it's a really nice drive, has great features and a great look. I love driving it so would definitely recommmend.
T-Roc SEL 1.5 TSI 150PS EVO 6-speed Manual 5 Door, Atlantic Blue metallic. Build Date w/c 01/10/18. In Transit 28/10/18.

JAMCT

Post by JAMCT » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 pm

See similar responses here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=844

I very satisfied with my fab head-turning Ravenna Blue T-Roc :mrgreen:
T-Roc 1.5 TSI Evo 150ps Design, (KANGAROO FREE)
Ravenna Blue, Black Roof/Door Mirrors, Silver Roof rails
Ravenna Blue Cloth/dashpad
LED Headlights/Running Lights
RearView Camera
Park Assist
Electric Tailgate
17" Mayfield Black Alloys

Carvonia

Post by Carvonia » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi dic,
I’ve had my T-ROC for a year now and have suffered this problem from the start. My biggest problem was not the “ kangaroo petrol”(I did have This)but the hesitance after releasing the clutch in first gear.
I have followed this forum from the start and contributed many a time and my conclusion is that this problem is like a disease with many symptoms and degrees of severity which makes it hard to understand what the problem really is.
No one can give you peace of mind as VW have only recently admitted to this problem and have not given the buying public any insight into this, No press release,nothing!

niche

Post by niche » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Although I don't qualify to your criteria for a response, I've been speaking to Parkers.co.uk today who have contacted VW again and it seems the word they're using again, like the Honest John article is "rare", so perhaps take some confidence in that.

"We are currently developing a solution to prevent these rare effects in the affected vehicles.” so that suggests VW have either done some analysis and it's accurate or they are down-playing it for obvious reasons.!
1.5 SE Manual Ordered Nov 18/ Collected Nov 18 /Rejected Jan 19 / Rejection Accepted Feb 19 / Refunded March 19

Levy

Post by Levy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:43 pm

I'm a happy owner of a 1.5 Evo T-Roc. I can't say that my car doesn't suffer from kangaroo effect but that happens very rarely and mostly when I hesitate on releasing the clutch. That isn't a deal breaker for me. If the kangaroo effect happened more often, maybe I would have a different opinion but as it is like it is, I'm verry happy.
T-Roc 1.5, 150 PS, manual
Pure White
Sport (a.k.a. SEL) with Sports pack and Park Pilot

Bellasdad

Post by Bellasdad » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Impala wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:17 pm
Hi Dic,

Like yourself, I find many of the discussions going on here are very negative but I think that is very much the nature of forums like this becuase it is mostly people with a problem (or a grouse) who seek out others for support or advice. I think you just need to keep a bit of perspective when reading the posts.

It is impossible to establish the true extent of the problems being discussed as a percentage of all cars delivered, and you will find similar tales of problems for just about any make of car on the market if you dig deep enough. It is the same when buying consumer goods ... many of the reviews are negative becuase satisfied customers usually have better things to do.

By posting this I may be letting myself in for criticism or worse from others on the forum, and I am NOT saying that there aren't people with very real and significant problems which may have been aggravated by poor customer service from VW, but I don't think you can go through life always expecting the worst. I don't have my T-Roc yet but I am willing to wait and see and do not intend fretting over things that might never happen.

In closing, if you want to spend the time reading every post on the forum you will find there maybe as many people who have had no complaints and love their cars, it's just that they only say so once unlike those with the problems, myself included.
Very nicely put Impala and pretty much sums up this forum at the moment.
Dic, don't be put off by the negative comments, most of them are posted by the same few individuals.
Have a look at the "happy place" thread, that'll cheer you up.
T-Roc R Line 1.5 manual. White silver with black roof.

niche

Post by niche » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Bellasdad wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 pm
Impala wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:17 pm
Hi Dic,

don't be put off by the negative comments, most of them are posted by the same few individuals.
Let's be honest - a specific thread with over 70,000 views now linked from review sites on the we is going to generate responses and comments from people with the problem or worried about it.

As to whether to be "put off" is probably a personal thing, but to ignore it isn't wise either in my view. VW do have a problem, which even they have acknowledged, on a currently (at least by us) unknown number of vehicles. This happens to include mine and it seems a growing number of new forum members who have posted over the last few weeks in particular as the news of the issue spreads. I don't think these are the same people actually, although I haven't analysed the posts, the newcomers certainly are increasing.

Whether you are positive of a fix coming and/or have a car that is less badly impacted or not impacted all all will probably be the definition of your outcome - but to be informed is the main thing I'd say - and thus I welcome new data and opinion. As such I've communicated with and had responses from both Honest John and Parkers in an attempt to get more from VW.

I would like to think that's a positive contribution to what is a really fantastic resource (this forum).

Good luck!
1.5 SE Manual Ordered Nov 18/ Collected Nov 18 /Rejected Jan 19 / Rejection Accepted Feb 19 / Refunded March 19

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:03 pm

Ok, let's be honest.

I think we have been here before, but I think it is right that people understand the numbers.

The topic dealing with Kangarooing was created in April last year. Since then, the topic has been viewed 72,000 times.

However, the number of times the topic has been viewed is NOT the same as the number of people who have viewed it. I have personally viewed the topic so many times I wouldn't like to guess the number, and I would expect many others have done the same.

What is more important is that there have actually only been 491 replies/posts to the topic, many of which are replies to replies to replies and often repeating the same messages. Furthermore, those 491 replies does NOT mean 491 forum members replied.

When the 491 replies is broken down, you find that 158 were made by just 2 members, both of whom joined the forum within the last 3 to 4 weeks, but they could have been viewing for longer. I myself have submitted 15 posts, none of which are because I have the problem as I don't have my T-Roc yet but I was simply commenting on other aspects such as potential causes.

I have a lot of sympathy for anyone who is having any sort of problem with their new car and there probably will be more owners out there experiencing the kangarooing symptoms who haven't posted to this forum about their experiences. And yes, there are also posts on other sites about similar problems on Seat, Skoda and Audi cars. But has anyone counted how many cars are actually in those 491 replies ? It's undoubtedly more than 1%, and even if it is 10% or 20% that does not mean 10% or 20% of T-Rocs with 1.5 TSI engines have a problem.

What I am saying is that this has to be kept in perspective rather than the fear and hysteria that seems to be spreading, and having an understanding of the number of posts, as opposed to the number of views, is just as important as knowing about the actual problem.

I'm putting my head above the parapet here to speak out, and will probably get shot down, but I leave it to readers to draw their own conclusions.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey rear view camera park assist.
Ordered: 22/06/18
Stage 2: 27/06/18
Stage 3: 08/03/19
Build wk: 14 (01/04/19)
Stage 5a: 31/03/19 (1 wk early)
Est UK: wk 18 (29/04/19)
Collect: early May :D