Car-Net connection

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Grrralph

Car-Net connection

Post by Grrralph » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:09 pm

I am struggling to connect to Car-Net consistently. I think it must be me rather than any fault, but have tried to follow the steps in the manual without success. I have played with the settings several times but admit to some confusion about how WLAN and personal hotspot and bluetooth inter-relate and which I should be using to connect with Car-Net. I have made the connection occasionally then lost it and been unable to connect the next time. No problem with connecting my phone for calls, music and Appleplay though.

I would like to use car-net to send a destination from my phone to the sat-nav when I enter the car, as it looks like this should be possible, but have been woefully unable to set this up.

Any help from those more technically adept would be much appreciated. Also interested to know whether others are having problems with this.
Grralph - 1.5 DSG SEL in dark oak brown with black roof - winter pack with side assist plus - ordered mid March '18 - arrived in UK 9 November collected 26 November '18.

ianchelt

Re: Car-Net connection

Post by ianchelt » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:03 pm

Grrralph wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:09 pm
I am struggling to connect to Car-Net consistently. I think it must be me rather than any fault, but have tried to follow the steps in the manual without success. I have played with the settings several times but admit to some confusion about how WLAN and personal hotspot and bluetooth inter-relate and which I should be using to connect with Car-Net. I have made the connection occasionally then lost it and been unable to connect the next time. No problem with connecting my phone for calls, music and Appleplay though.

I would like to use car-net to send a destination from my phone to the sat-nav when I enter the car, as it looks like this should be possible, but have been woefully unable to set this up.

Any help from those more technically adept would be much appreciated. Also interested to know whether others are having problems with this.
Hi Grraplpy.... No it's not you... I am suffering the same problem. I mentioned this to my service dealer last week and he said Car-Net was a "waste of time". The only connectivity App I can get to work well is the USB connection to the app to receive calls, Amazon Music and Apple Music etc. That does work well. I've given up connecting the other gizmo's.

Grrralph

Post by Grrralph » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Thanks lanchelt. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one and perhaps it's not me doing something stupid, but disappointing to hear the dealer describe Car-Net as "a waste of time". I was hoping to solve this. Wondering how others are getting on with this. Anyone? How about Impala I wonder, who has impressed in this forum with many contributions showing some technical understanding. Impala, any comment please?
Grralph - 1.5 DSG SEL in dark oak brown with black roof - winter pack with side assist plus - ordered mid March '18 - arrived in UK 9 November collected 26 November '18.

AV82

Post by AV82 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Grralph, I too had initial problems with the interactive media package. There are two systems working here. CarNet does not require your mobile. Via the data plug an imbedded sim card transmits your gps position and from that it can calculate speed averages/max speed and also mileage/fuel consumption. You can sound the horn, flash the lights and locate your car. A map will also show your overall route. I had the data plug replaced and then deleted the app off my mobile and re-installed. It has worked fine for months now. In tandem with CarNet is VW Connect which has very similar features plus you can track fuel stops and costs etc. When the mobile is connected via the VW usb lead you can hot spot the car for additional mobile features of your choosing. Bluetooth also connects if selected instead for calls, texts etc. There is duplication but if it is set up carrectly it provides a lot of information and functionality to you.
1.5TSI 150ps petrol EVO R-Line 7spd DSG White Silver Black Roof 2018 R-Line signature trim.

trocsel

Post by trocsel » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:03 pm

2.0 SEL TDI 4MOTION 150PS 6 speed manual
Atlantic Blue Metallic
Sports suspension
Montego Bay 18” alloys
Winter Pack
Removable Towbar
Rear View Camera

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:44 am

AV82 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:37 pm
Grralph, I too had initial problems with the interactive media package. There are two systems working here. CarNet does not require your mobile. Via the data plug an imbedded sim card transmits your gps position and from that it can calculate speed averages/max speed and also mileage/fuel consumption. You can sound the horn, flash the lights and locate your car. A map will also show your overall route. I had the data plug replaced and then deleted the app off my mobile and re-installed. It has worked fine for months now. In tandem with CarNet is VW Connect which has very similar features plus you can track fuel stops and costs etc. When the mobile is connected via the VW usb lead you can hot spot the car for additional mobile features of your choosing. Bluetooth also connects if selected instead for calls, texts etc. There is duplication but if it is set up carrectly it provides a lot of information and functionality to you.
My understanding is slightly different There are 2 connections here doing different things I believe.
First, Car-Net does require your mobile and does not use the Data Plug directly (as far as I am aware). Car-Net needs to be connected to the mobile hotspot function on your mobile, and, once connected and you access Car-Net services, will provide information such as News, Weather, Traffic etc. Car-Net is licensed from VW for 3 years from date of purchase, after that you have to have the dealer renew the licence. It is also used to report (transmit) back data collected via the Data Plug. When you are in the car, unless your mobile is connected via the mobile hotspot on your phone, you cannot access Car-Net services from the Infotainment system.

The Data Plug does something different. You connect your mobile to the Data Plug via Bluetooth and, in conjunction with the VW Connect application (which you have to download on your smartphone) data gathered via the Data Plug is used to update the VW Connect application and pertinent info (about the car's health etc) at VW HQ, such that you can be contacted (depending on how you have setup Connect) if any faults with the car are detected that you may not be aware of (for those systems that are monitored), also you have the choice of the system auto booking your services, or you doing it manually (auto services being when the "car" detects that a service is needed).

So my understanding is that both systems use your mobile, but in different ways, Car-Net providing the mobile net services for information using your personal mobile hotspot, and Connect services linking to your phone via the Bluetooth and the Data Plug to gather technical information about the car and its health, such that if an issue is identified both you and your nominated dealer can be notified.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

AV82

Post by AV82 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi Hawkeye. If you drive your vehicle Car Net connects you via the dataplug to the VW service without the need for a mobile to be in the car as it records every journey. You are correct that you cannot access the services via the infotainment system only the mobile screen. Its not very integrated and leads to confusion.
1.5TSI 150ps petrol EVO R-Line 7spd DSG White Silver Black Roof 2018 R-Line signature trim.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:05 pm

AV82 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:03 pm
Hi Hawkeye. If you drive your vehicle Car Net connects you via the dataplug to the VW service without the need for a mobile to be in the car as it records every journey. You are correct that you cannot access the services via the infotainment system only the mobile screen. Its not very integrated and leads to confusion.
"Its not very integrated and leads to confusion" Oh yes, I 1000% agree LOL.
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:17 pm

Grrralph wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:22 pm
Thanks lanchelt. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one and perhaps it's not me doing something stupid, but disappointing to hear the dealer describe Car-Net as "a waste of time". I was hoping to solve this. Wondering how others are getting on with this. Anyone? How about Impala I wonder, who has impressed in this forum with many contributions showing some technical understanding. Impala, any comment please?
I found a solution which works for me - see my last entry in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=994&start=10
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:09 am

Grrralph wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:22 pm
Apologies Grrralph, I didn't see your request.

Sadly I'm still waiting for my car to be built, so I can't really comment on this topic. What I've seen/read in VW literature leaves me totally confused and as often as not the reality is different to what VW say. I was actually under the impression that VW supplied a custom SIM which worked for the first 3 years ... just confirms how much I know on this topic :oops: :oops:
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered: 22/06/18
Stage 2: 27/06/18
Stage 3: 08/03/19
Build wk: 14 - 01/04/19
Stage 5a: 31/03/19 Left factory 1 wk early
Stage 6: 08/05/19
Stage 7: 13/05/19
Collected: 20/05/19 :D :D