Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
My SEL is fitted with a large spare (marked for emergency use), however, removing this and the plastic surround allows use of the lower boot floor setting.

I have only used this when going to the airport with holiday suitcases. I'll take the risk because my last car had no spare at all and I drove that for 5 years all across Europe with no problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As I have a 4motion SEL I had thought there was no lower floor position option for me. When going out at weekends with the grandchildren and three adults on board I had been removing th spare wheel and just laying some carpet on the uneven boot floor.

So I ordered a boot liner from Ebay (lower position mode) and planned to use this as a middle option sitting on top of the spare wheel. It fits fine but could do with some hardboard or mdf to make it a little more solid.

However, yesterday when emptying the boot of the spare wheel and the foam surrounds for jack and tools, I discovered that I could set the boot to the lower position after all, just needed to go in at an angle (I don't recall doing that to the Golf this car replaced). And the Ebay liner fits on this and gives a bit more protection if you are carrying something likely to spill or make a mess.

I'm only posting this in case any other 4motion owners are feeling they only have a 1 level boot option, they have 2 (or a possible 3) if they are willing to remove the spare/tools etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I'm one of those that had a full size spare wheel instead of a spacesaver. Dealer kept putting off my request to change it and eventually refused point blank. I then contacted VWUK and within 24 hrs they responded and agreed to replace it. Eventually had it replaced today. However, despite me confirming that the polystyrene housing would also need replacing, when I picked the car up they had put the original housing back on top of the spaces aver wheel! Hey ho, still no dropped boot floor just yet! Anyway, the point is if anyone still wants to change to a spacesaver just contact VWUK.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Greetings,
Would you be able to let me have the address of VWUK and the contact person you arranged this swop with.
Many thanks, Barri

1.5 Tsi S-EL (full size spare wheel, non adjustable boot floor)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Barri,
Sorry about the late reply.
I went on the VWUK website and had a Web chat with an adviser. After explaining that I was unhappy that I was being penalised for something that wasn't my fault he said he would pass my complaint on and I would receive a phone call within 24 hrs which I duly did.
The woman that called me said VWUK were aware there was an issue with some SEL cars having a full size spare instead of spacesaver and would arrange with my dealer for it to be changed.
Best of luck in getting yours replaced!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the larger spare too in my SEL, as it is a 16" it's as much use aw a weight and space saver so much rather have the luggage floor option. Can't understand why VW would put in something that stops buyers doing a really useful feature. So have emailed my retailer after having no luck with VW UK chat. Kept telling me what wheels I had, I knew that bit.
Door frame says it should be a T125 70R 18 spare.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone in Ireland managed to get Volkswagen Ireland to swap the full size spare wheel for the space saver? I contacted Volkswagen Ireland and they were no help, just kept quoting the piece from the brochure where it says 'all specs are subject to change'.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yesterday I finally received my space saver spare wheel and with it the adjustable flooring. Made a big difference to the boot capacity. Very pleased. Thank you to my dealer and in particular my sales advisor. Really good job. Thanks also to "Greetings" for the advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I also had some luck getting my retailer to swap out the 16" space saver for the space and weight saver complete with surround. Strange thing is though if you look it does appear the SEL does have a cut near the boot opening for the larger wheel. Almost like it was made for the bigger spare and therefore not for the larger boot.
Glad I have the larger boot now without having to remove a wheel, even with a small arch cut out. :roll:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was looking at a T-roc SE1.5 in the showroom which had a full size spare wheel and the boot floor was down on the lower setting. I tried it out by moving the floor to the high setting and it al worked well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just saw a much earlier post regarding 'has anyone in Ireland been able to get a space saver spare wheel. Yes, I did not like the full size wheel in my T-Roc Design and the boot size was disappointing. The VW garage, Pierce Motors, Tipperary, gave me a space saver wheel at not extra charge. They even told me to keep the full size wheel at home in my garage as an extra spare. The additional space gained in the boot, by using the space saver wheel, makes a very significant difference; its like going from a small compromised boot, to a relatively large boot. The 16 inch space saver wheel is a generic stock item for VW, so it was not a specific T-Roc accessory which they ordered for me, rather it was a generic VW spare. The also gave me foam tool kit holder to fit the new space saver wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone. Has anyone with a 4motion t-roc tried completely removing the spare wheel and the black casing of the wheel to see if the boot floor can be lowered?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes I have. If you remove the wheel and outer packing which holds the jack etc the hard boot liner slots into place. It is probably not as much space as a non 4motion but it certainly beats the upper setting.

I carry the wheel nut lock at all times though I am dithering over buying an RAC puncture set just in case - I do have full RAC cover which should help. But for a planned longer journey I am currently loading the spare at present.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My last car which I had for 7 years had a space saver wheel, it was NEVER out of the boot all its life until I sold the car with 59300 miles on it. I sometimes wonder why we all carry spare wheels of any description. But having said that I bet if I took mine out I would get a puncture 1 mile down the road and curse having done that.
At least on the T-roc the space saver is mounted with the inside of the wheel facing up, This means I can keep my Hi-viz jacket and tow rope in there without any problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, with regard to the space saver wheel debate, please see below pictures of my boot floor before and after (5686-1) modifications.

I have just bought a 2021 T Roc R line 1.5TSi that was VW stock, so I could not specify a spare wheel kit. It came with an inflation kit, the foam support for it and the jack and tool parts. The jack and wheel brace was just floating around inside the black bag in the wheel well banging and crashing about !

I much preferred the spare saver wheel option, so after much research obtaining the VIN of a car with said item I contacted VW for the part numbers for that VIN and not my car's VIN. Please refer to the 14-20-2021 image below but the parts you need to do this are as follows:

Wheel I used was the 5Q0 601 027 BT but others may fit as well. Has to be a T125/70 R18 99M with a PCD 112mm x 3.5J x 18H2 with ET25.5. This part number fits all these requirements.
A certain auction site sold me a near brand new one with a Continental tyre for £75 delivered.

The foam tool kit parts are W5G0 012 115 AF bottom foam and W5G0 012 115 AD top foam.
The strap that hold them together is W5G0 867 749
The locknut the holds the wheel to the floor pan is W3G0 803 899 E
Small push button that holds the bottom foam part to the floor using the threaded screw already part of the boot floor is WN 908 713 01

All came to £36 from VW parts dept. so the whole job was around £110 for a space saver wheel and normal tool kit option that has still allowed me to use the lower extra capacity boot floor option. Needless to say I am very happy with the result. WV initially quoted me around £450 to retro purchase the inflator kit for the above when buying the car.

One caveat though, Obviously caution pays when purchasing wheels and tyres on a certain auction site. Ensure that you are buying a good straight and true rim with a tyre that is not worn, damaged or ancient ! Although hopefully it will never need using and speed obviously will be limited to 50mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great post, thank you. My partner's new R line was bought from (my2021) stock recently and order form stipulated space saver spare, but car arrived with the mobility kit as you had. Dealer is making good foc which is good, though your post is very helpful for when they don't order all the right bits. Ours complicated by beats subwoofer, though I think that just slots inside the spare without further modification.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All came to £36 from VW parts dept. so the whole job was around £110 for a space saver wheel and normal tool kit option that has still allowed me to use the lower extra capacity boot floor option. Needless to say I am very happy with the result. WV initially quoted me around £450 to retro purchase the inflator kit for the above when buying the car.
Hi
Thank you so much for posting this - so pleased to find it. Can I please ask, when you say VW parts dept, who do you mean? Was it directly from VW, through the website or a call, or via a dealership? I’m struggling to get anyone to help and most want to charge me a fortune.
Thanks again

·
Registered
R-line 1.5 TSI MANUAL
815 Posts
Why don't you go down the e-bay route 🤷‍♂️

Here's a whole kit including the central wheel mount & nut (but check with seller)
For an audi but exactly the same wheel size etc & would work.
This is only one example 👌

81 - 100 of 103 Posts